1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unveils ATI Catalyst 10.6 WHQL Software Suite

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 16, 2010.

1. pjladyfox

pjladyfox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. I thought I was the only one that was seeing this issue on a dual-monitor setup. The odd thing is that, from what I remember, the issue only seems to affect Vista or Windows 7 systems and appears to be fixed on those running XP. After getting tired of it I put an NVIDIA card in my workstation in the Lab *shudder* which I hated to do but had no other choice. That and I was doing some troubleshooting for a Mechwarrior 3 issue for another forum related to NVIDIA cards going to a black screen when using newer drivers. :banghead:

Honestly, I'm not sure what the heck is going on with all of these odd display-related issues on the 5-series cards. I've been a die-hard ATI/AMD user ever since the early Pentium days but when this gets to a point where even I have to put an NVIDIA GPU in my system to work normally something is seriously rotten in Denmark. :wtf:
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't get it either, other than Dell may have very well been right about the card not outputing a strong enough display signal. At this point, it's the only reasonable answer to the problem I've heard, and AMD and thier board partners are denying there is even a problem at all, and that it must be the monitors.:shadedshu

I'm going to actually test the output signals this weekend...both for signal strength and waveform. :rolleyes:

I ogt a new card from XFX on monday, with Black Edition specs...but isn't a Black Edition, and I am going to pick up a couple of non-reference cards to compare iwth the reference, to see if there is any change.

I'm just stubborn, and refuse to give up on them, even though hey seem to have given up on me.:p

I can now consistently make the cursor bug out...but it will take more testing before I can confirm what I think is happening.
  3. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huge thanks I forgot about this :)
  4. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Actually I just had the chance to try it again and BC2 is still broken for me on 10.6. Reinstalled-> used Crossfire profiles -> rebooted. When BC2 loads the map I CTD around the time I finish loading. No error message or anything.. just CTD.

Back to 10.5 indefinitely.
  5. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Installed these today and my 2D clocks are nonexistant. Whether Overdrive is enabled or not both GPUs are at 725/1000. If I OC via Afterburner 2D clocks of both GPU's drop to 400/1000. 3D does kick back up to proper clocks, or my OCed clocks if selected.
  6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    10.5! you serious? That has gotta be the worst driver and one that will mess things up big time!
    you guys must be leaving some driver stragler's behinde when installing the 10.6cat's

Im having no issues at all with this driver... 2d clocks run nice and low and switch to 3d clocks nice and smooth...
  7. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Only if Driver Sweepr is missing something.
  8. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    you go into the registry and delete ati files? driver sweeper for me has left entries behind for me.
  9. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Manually? No. I set DS to clean it. I've looked afterwards and never found anything, but haven't checked for a while.
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  10. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    If you had 10.5 ccc installed before I pretty much betcha there are stragglers left behind
  11. MelodiousUltra New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then do you have to take any action if you buy a brand new ATI HD5000 card, put it into your system, and download the latest driver (Catalyst 10.6)?
    I take it that before you download an update, you must go through and remove the drivers in control panel, delete ATI stuff in registry, and use Driver Sweeper in order to ensure stability?
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I updated from 10.4a's (I think). Something before 10.5's though and I get 400/1000 for 2d clocks now.

Yes, I made this little guide for it. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  13. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    your using a 5870 - 50 thou are you not?

the others are using 5970's and I was pointing out that sence im using the beast Im not having any problems with 2d clocks...

also your how to remove ccc thread is my golden bible to do a clean install of ati's drivers :respect:
  14. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I'm sticking with 10.2 (I think) until the super idle downclocks come back or at least become an option again.
  15. ariff_tech New Member

Thanks Received:
    but they still didnt support 5x1 potrait mode, :banghead::banghead:
    i wonder what driver they used on their booth at computex 2010:confused::confused:
  16. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same with mine. From 10.5 to 10.6 and now my 2D clock in XP is 400/1000 :(
  17. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Old driver stragglers are present man, XP ? :slap: common and get with the times!!
  18. anonemus

anonemus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will clean drivers and reinstall other GPU OC tools later :)
  19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Was 10.3 the last driver to have performance improvements for the ATI 48xx series?
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it should be noted that i still have had no trouble with idle clocks being above normal.

I do not:
    use OC software (stock clocks)
    use driver sweeper/cleaner programs.
    run multi monitor (atm)
  21. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Specs as shown, card completely stock, connected only to my tv, downloaded and installed last night following erocker's installation guide. I haven't unlocked the Overdrive section in CCC, but the clocks are displaying as 157/300, can I assume that I have escaped the dreaded 2D clock issue, or do I have to enable Overdrive before I can tell?

I did notice corrupted text on the ATI registration window that pops up at the start (don't know why I haven't permanently closed that yet), so I may revert back to 10.4. It seems that ATI's priorty was to coincide with Nvidia's release and increase synthetic benchmark scores, rather than ensuring that the driver was properly tested before becoming available to the public.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  22. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    10.5 works great for me. Solid consistent performance in the games I play. Stable OCs and no 2D/3D issue.

10.6 just breaks BC2 performance. (http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=124736) not much else to say about it.
  23. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you've escaped the bug as well.

i think the 'feature' is present only when you OC, or run dual monitors. Its a bug when it happens to crossfire users.
    Mr McC says thanks.
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The idle clock thing is better for Crossfire multi-mon...10.5, secondary card would get same idle clocks, 10.6, secondary gpu will go down to 157/300, while the main card sits @ 400/12xx.

However, it doesn't fix any issues they claim it does. I'd rather have my lower idle clocks back.

Big testing this weekend...gonna have to install fresh OS and start everything new again...:rolleyes:
  25. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    No issues, no real performance increases thus far, checked APB and Splinter Cell Conviction.