1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD: upgrade now or wait for something better?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by qu4k3r, Oct 22, 2011.

  1. qu4k3r

    qu4k3r

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    253 (0.12/day)
    Thanks Received:
    156
    Location:
    Valencia, Venezuela
    Hi, I'd like to upgrade with AMD and I've research a little but I'm still doubtful...

    I currently have 2 pcs, the main has Q6600@3.2GHz and I'd like to upgrade the second one with some AMD cpu (because I already have an AM3+ motherboard) but I want it to be really faster than kentsfield build, in order to turn it into main pc, ok.-

    According with this chart, the new cpu should be at least 3 tiers higher than my OCed Q6600.
    My recent hystory with cpu upgrade has been as follows...
    X2 5400+@2.8GHz
    E7200@3.3GHz
    Q6600@3.2GHz
    ????? (still looking for)

    All these changes have been only 2 tier higher than previous cpu, but I really noticed the difference when applied some oc.
    3 tiers higher than Q6600 means that upgrade should be something at i5 2500/2300's level but there's not something like that so far in AMD area.

    Options?
    • A)I was thinking about Phenom II X4 975 (2 tiers higher) which cost 160$.
    • B)But X4 955 can be found at 112$ and it can reach the 975 by unlocking multiplier, right?
    • C)Or maybe X4 960T at 125$ and apply some OC, in addition it can be unlocked to X6.
    • D)I also want try a new FX cpu but I don't want to spend over 160$, so FX-4100 at 130$ could fit into what I'm looking for but there's too little reviews of it to compare it to X4 975.
    • E)Wait until AMD releases new FX models (or drop prices of current models) and compare again.
    Please, help me to decide beacuse I don't want to buy a new cpu and get the same performance that I currently have.
    Thanks in advanced ;)

    PD: Plaese Try to avoid suggestions like "i5 2500k or something"; beacuase I have a Am3+ mobo that I really like and want to keep it and use it.
     
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. AltecV1

    AltecV1 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2009
    Messages:
    1,290 (0.61/day)
    Thanks Received:
    173
    Location:
    Republic of Estonia
    1100t
     
    qu4k3r says thanks.
  3. InnocentCriminal

    InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2005
    Messages:
    6,484 (1.83/day)
    Thanks Received:
    847
    Why not try and get some more out of your Q6600? It should still be a capable chip.
     
    qu4k3r says thanks.
  4. JrRacinFan

    JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Messages:
    19,414 (6.97/day)
    Thanks Received:
    4,483
    Location:
    Youngstown, OH
    Wait just a little bit longer. You got X79 coming out next month. There still may be needing to fix current bioses for AMD FX cpu's also. Gives you a little extra time to wait and see what happens.
     
    qu4k3r says thanks.
  5. Inceptor

    Inceptor

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Messages:
    497 (0.44/day)
    Thanks Received:
    119
    An i5-2500k would be the best upgrade from a Q6600 @ reasonably low cost, and excellent overclocking.

    If you're wanting AMD, for a quad core, go with the 960T; even if it doesn't unlock to x6, you've got the Thuban IMC overclockability to the 3ghz range, which is better than a Deneb x4. It'll perform better as a quad than a Deneb quad.
    For a hexa core, 1090T or 1100T; although for overclocking, there's not much difference, the 1100T most likely has slightly better efficiency at higher clocks.
     
    qu4k3r says thanks.
  6. TRWOV

    TRWOV

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2011
    Messages:
    3,581 (3.04/day)
    Thanks Received:
    2,150
    Location:
    Mexico
    qu4k3r says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. micropage7

    micropage7

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Messages:
    5,981 (3.56/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    maybe im gonna take c.
    but since the fx look promising i may wait for little more
     
    qu4k3r says thanks.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page