1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Won't Abandon Socketed Client CPUs: Company Spokesperson

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 5, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Even as Intel neither confirms nor denies reports of it abandoning socketed client desktop processors in favor of BGA packages that permanently bind chips to motherboards, AMD has come forward and asserted that it won't abandon socketed client processors, and will continue to support the DIY PC enthusiast market, reinforced with the fact that BClk multiplier-unlocked processors from the company start for as low as US $129.99. In a statement to the TechReport, AMD's Chris Hook said:

Source: The TechReport

2. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Then again, I'm skeptical. With Intel not making orders anymore, I doubt Foxconn or Lotes will maintain their CPU socket design team.

3. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    WOW

That's a amazing statement after all those rumors made by "sources close to Intel".

4. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Any time AMD can have an advantage over Intel, you know they'll go with it.

hellrazor and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  5. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Yup, so AMD's statement only reinforces the BGA apocalypse rumor, because AMD won't make such a statement without its own research and legal opinion.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. DoomDoomDoom

DoomDoomDoom

Thanks Received:
    I certainly hope Intel doesn't go down that route. They have such great products...

Though if AMD offers something down the road which heavily competes with Intel's products, and still supports overclocking, I'll of course give them a look. Good on AMD for clearing up any concerns and jabbing a bit at the competition.

7. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to know that the enthusiast will still have a option(s). This may turnaround AMD's decision to not pursue the performance crown any longer.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    At this point I'm not too concerned with the performance crown, especially not at the prices and sacrifices Intel makes us pay. I've not found anything my Phenom x6 can't handle.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    AMD doesn't need to beat Intel in performance, they just need to commit themselves to making their customer's happy in other ways. This being one major way. If the BGA rumors are true, I hope AMD taking this stand makes people think harder about the future of their computers.

I was really finally considering an Intel build but now...I'm glad I stuck with AMD for one more round.

10. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    Still happy I went with my new i5 system, although those piledriver systems are very attractive and seem monstrous around that 4.8-5Ghz range for eight cores even if they are faked cores. Something I'd love to build just to have and use honestly.

11. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Deposit 2 cent now..

aahhh.... if the current trend continues.... there won't be a desktop market (unless apple makes one and then the it crowd follow and desktops become cool again :rolleyes:) So ...this is sorta just fluff.... Amd needs to first save itself and evolve. A shriveling company making promises to a niche market that is not large enough to solely support it aint gonna work. Especially if a bga system still hands an overclocked Amd lga its transistors. Honestly I see workstations in our future. Dont get me wrong, big ups for the support but survive first... history is littered with companies that "stayed true" to the past and is now a part of that past too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It's a headache to get 1500+ pins connected in a motherboard. The move to soldered CPUs is an inevitability when they have, and keep demanding, more contacts. AMD has been able to keep the contact count modest so they can afford to keep them unsoldered.

I could see AMD eventually having to have more contacts and reverse this decsion but it appears to be a ways off. I think, for desktops, this is going to make AMD processors a no-brainer for me. If Intel goes forward with soldering chips to motherboards, Intel chips aren't in my future.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    It isn't just about the enthusiast market. This is a big move for businesses and professional environments too.

If Intel pulls an Apple and tries to strong arm people into BGA, they now have an alternative with AMD. AMD may be weak now but all it needs is Intel blundering like this for them to pick up a lot of market. This will not only help DIY builders but also businesses and smaller PC resellers who can't afford to go BGA. BGA is not going to lower prices. In fact, I think it'll raise them. Its extra work for vendors to do. Cost of production added plus testing/etc. Then imagine problems happen in production. How much higher the cost will be to replace vs just a single part. It is cheaper to just make the board then the PC maker compile the parts.

14. mandis New Member

Thanks Received:
    :twitch: Intel will stop offering socketed CPUs??? What on earth is this all about? Home builds are a niche market???? Since WHEN?

Just because people invested money on tablets and smartphones it doesn't mean the PC market is dead!

Without upgradable/repairable computers it will be just like the 80s all over again... :banghead:

15. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Now, yell at us to get off your lawn. :p

16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I could see how the OEM market might want to go with BGA because the type of buyers are not likely to upgrade the cpu and its easy for them to make one type of motherboard; not like motherboard manufacturers that offer multiple products and with different needs of buyers (fragmented market).

17. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    At least i already know which CPU brand i'll buy for my next upgrades.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Same here. If AMD fixes up their CPU division a bit it will be a no brainer next time...

19. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    WOW!
    The folks here that are gonna hold true to the dead enthusiast market, even though the writing is literally on the wall, is somewhat commendable and very much laughable...

This market is on life support people!
    Nobody gives a flying F#ck about PC gaming anymore or Enthusiast PC's or what you can do on a desktop and nobody will really care when they can take their gaming system with them wherever they go!

I give it 4 years before Googles OS is the major competitor out there with uber craptastic devices that can game.

20. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Not to bust your bubble,
    But whilst I understand the formfactors are changing nobody who owns the new tech devices goes without tethering them to something, sure "I heart my tablet and smartphone"..but if they did not sync with my laptop and desktops they would be useless.
    the sad reality is consumer electronics/computing does not make for a productive workspace.

as for this thread I am saving AMD all by myself by building an AM3+ system...and so should you be...oh enthusiastic ones.

Shihabyooo and jmcslob say thanks.
  21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    As a guy who owns both Intel and AMD machines, and builds Intel all day at work.... I will keep my money on AMD.

I love my AMD machines and my current X6 machine does everything I need it to do and more.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I already did....well mostly gonna buy an 8350 soon...but the market is still dying and Google cloud sync will hold all the info you need (and will share it with everyone you don't want them to)

23. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    Maybe BGA for lower end and LGA for higher end processors?

24. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    That's always been my interpretation of this whole shlog. It sounds like intel doesn't make much money on the i3/i5 line-up and see's the mobile-apocalypse(the shrinking of the desktop segment) that's coming and wants to consolidate cost/liability. Sell interchangeable parts at the high end i7 side of things for workstations that remain needed.

25. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    personally I wish AMD would follow suit...
    Cut out the Graphics card slots,give up on memory expansion and release a few new APU models a year....then we would get the best bang for our buck as programs would get coded way better.