1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Won't Abandon Socketed Client CPUs: Company Spokesperson

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 5, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, HEDT. Starts at $350 for the processor, $200 for the motherboard.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I would love to see AMD adopt LGA for their consumer based products so I don't have to worry about the processor being ripped out of the socket. You know you won't have that problem when a bracket physically holds your CPU down. All in all, I see there being a market for full integrated systems and SoC-like systems (not Haswell-EX). Before you know it you may find most of the hardware found on the PCH on the CPU as well further down the road which enables you to tightly integrate the features of the motherboard and the processor. My problem with this is that if something fails you have to replace the entire thing, motherboard and processor are together. There is no throwing a slower CPU on it in the meantime if just the CPU fails or with the motherboard visa versa, and on top of that you would now be relying on the motherboard manufacturer to handle RMA for CPUs as well (or at least using it as a proxy, which adds time to the process and is just plain stupid) unless Intel is willing to take over the motherboard market which doesn't sound likely.

This does however sound likely for mobile Intel CPUs which will enable Intel-based laptops to get smaller. So there could be power and cost saving benefits in the mobile market.
  3. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Well I am using Opteron LGA's since 2006... and that granddaddy motherboard is still alive using two hex core Istambul's for 20$ on ebay :D.

The seconds failure rate of broken LGA motherboards are higher due bent pins there, I guess there for they still won't do it.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Really? I've bent more pins on PGA than on LGA motherboards, that's for sure.
  5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    If it is indeed true and it will come to this, AMD = Flexibility, Intel = Performance
  6. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    Fixed~
  7. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I hope they don't. I don't want embedded CPUs on my motherboards. Gonna get expensive to build pcs later on
  8. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but has your CPU prevented you from playing many games? I have a Phenom 955 and a 2500k that I am not too worried about needing to upgrade from in the next few years. If anything the GPU will be more important.
  9. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I was with you until that last sentence. Google OS (Chrome OS) is a joke.

That is unless you meant Android or Linux.
  10. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I sugest you move along to nextpowerup with chat like that, this sites all about the exact thing you seem to dislike
  11. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Android and Chrome OS will be one in the same shortly...Give it some time...Google seems to know what you want...

I did and I don't dislike this stuff but as a very long time PC gamer I've been waiting for a long time for the excess BS to end...Like the math coprocessor and Sound the GFX should have been integrated to what the end consumer really needs a long time ago...and when people start having to buy an all-in-one package that will follow in short order...
    Oh and it's funny you should mention nextpowerup...as it would seem even the people that run this site see where things are going LOL...
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Computing systems are still evolving and will for the foreseeable future, your maths co pro coments odd as they have been included in the cpu for years, anyway there's plenty of room for bga and lga imho
  13. Deadlyraver

Thanks Received:
    I would hate non-socketed CPUs, to me it's like missing out on one type of cookie that won't be remade so I have to live with oatmeal cookies because I have no other choice. In fact, it would really suck if this were to happen anytime soon.
  14. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
  15. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    I`m on to you!! YOU ARE SECRETLEY THE COOKIEMONSTER!!!!!!11!:roll:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012