1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Working On Stripped-Down PlayStation 4 SoC for PCs

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 28, 2013.

1. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    AMD's stock eval is right around $2.50 right now. That's probably what his comment was aimed towards.

Great time to buy IMO with the PS4 confirmed AMD and the Xbox leaning...:laugh:

Would be great if both used an APU to run games. I would hope it meant console ports would be simpler and better. :cool:

2. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    I understand what your trying to say there. IF RSX is basically a 7900GT who's architecture could not take advantage of such api's as DX10/11/11.1 then why do some games on the PS3 have some of the features those api's (DX10/11/11.1) demonstrate? Well Cell is helping make sense of it to RSK.
    Please correct me if I missed something.

3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Lol. :laugh:

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    The RSX chip is a G71 based card with as many ROP's as a 7600 and 256mb GDDR3 period end of story.

5. xenocea

xenocea

Thanks Received:
    Ahh ok. I should have known. Thank you for your explanation :)

6. xenocea

xenocea

Thanks Received:
    You are correct. It's just developers being able to work around the limitation. Clever artistic work, and tricks helps it to achieve a visual fidelity that was thought not possible on old hardware.

But I'm glad the upcoming generations of consoles have opted for a more PC based specs.
    It will make it easier for developers to port titles much easier and faster in the same amount of time.

In the end, its a win win for us consumers. I'm personally not bias towards the consoles and pc platform.

I love both equally :)

7. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    How would this processor be a win for consumers? A win for consumers would be something along the the lines of a 22nm processor that preforms better than an i5 at a lower price. The Hondo chips show a lot of potential for the evovling tablet/mobile world. Although, the Hondo chips may prove to be late to the party..

8. xenocea

xenocea

Thanks Received:
    I was speaking from a console's point of view, easier ports for developers, its a win win for us consumers as gamers. Again this is from a console perspective.

9. NeoXF

Thanks Received:
    Just look at WATCH_DOGS... one of the few games coming out in the future that actually look "next-gen", they said it's main development platform is PC, it will also be coming out on PS4 (and PS3, which is weird but should make things interesting...).

It's very probable the a lot of the games coming out in the next years will have PC as lead platform and given the platform similarities, be scaled down or sideways or chopped into size for PS4/XBox3. Or keeping the same idea, "timed-exclusives" or console-exclusives be more inclined to also come to PC later on.

10. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Everyone does realized that a "stripped down version" of the PS4 chip is the upcoming Kabini (which is going to replace Bobcat) correct? It was even demoed at CES in the Temash tablet running Dirt Showdown.

[yt]CV-U50Viv_k[/yt]

cadaveca says thanks.
  11. NeoXF

Thanks Received:
    Kabini and Temash might be very similar, but they're not the same thing. High-end Temash is going to be a 1GHz-mobile 1,4GHz-stationary quad-core Jaguar with 128 GCN cores at 300MHz-mobile 500MHz-stationary at something between 3,5W and 9W. Kabini should obviously end up quite a bit beefier than that, especially the 25W part.

12. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I never said they were the same and neither did AMD. Though, you'll never be able to get a Jaguar APU with 8 cores and the GPU power of a 7850. AMD said that a "stripped down version" is coming. Of course there is, and for anyone that has seen AMD public road maps, this no surprise.

Kabini and Temash uses the same "Jaguar cores" (per an AMD slide) that the PS4 chip uses.

High end Kabini will be a little under 2Ghz. The PS4 chip is going to have a similar clock since it is based on the same architecture.

According to some leaks, Temash has similar performance to that of the current Intel i3 2367M.

13. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Im expecting amd powerstates and boost on it myself prob 1.6ghz stck boosting to 2.6per core and within tdp

More than 25k PPD
  14. Steven B

Thanks Received:
    motherboard makers can hard embed GDDR5, i mean just like on a GPU's PCB. This SOC is basically a GPU with a built in CPU. I think people forget those guys who design GPUs also design CPU's and their boards. besides i doubt any real effort will be made to make that AMD thing into a mainstream product, why would there? We really need more AMD CPUs?

15. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    2.6Ghz is not going to happen. The architecture is not built for speed but power.

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It might exceed the TDP, but I do not see it having any issues exceeding 2.6ghz. It still uses off the shelf silcone.

17. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    It's not a problem of TDP, it's not a problem of power, it's a problem of the architecture.

The architecture is not made for high clocks, unlike Bulldozer. It does not have enough gates to be able to clock that high.

AMD has already stated that the clocks for Jaguar will be 10% over Bobcat's normal/boost clocks and that is for the 25w Kabini part.

18. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Dang kids coming into my forums and causing a ruckus. You keep your music turned down, ya hear‽

19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    The standard ARM chip is knocking on 2ghz door with quads capable of 1.6ghz. I would bet money certain Jaguar chips will be capable of hitting 2.6ghz at the top end.

20. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Bobcat is not a speed monster like Bulldozer and P4 were designed to be. Thus it does not have the long gates required for high clock speeds.

As to what ARM has to do with an x86 processor, idk. Might as well compare the 1Ghz clock speed on a GK110 and say that nVidia doesn't know how to use power efficiently.

21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    What are you referring to with gates? CPU's have ALU's and a processing pipeline. Bulldozer is a short/mid length pipeline like all other AMD/Intel CPU's outside of P4. Pipeline length doesn't have anything to do with clockspeed. IPC and many other design cues drop into the speed side of things. :laugh:

22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Arms relevance increases daily and 2.6 on a low power cpu using hurry to sleep and intelligent power gateing is a thing of the present, tried and improved on yearly one to four cores will boost to 2.6 imho but it Is just an opinion
    Oh and winrt uses arm whereas Amd s Fx line emulates x86 no special hardware odd eh

More than 25k PPD
  23. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Oh yea, I meant pipeline length. I was thinking about gate delays.

Anyway, I've always been under the understanding that clock speed was related to pipeline length since clock speed is nothing more then the calculations per second (or some calculation like that) that the processor can do. To go higher (thus higher clock speeds) you need a long pipeline length which was why P4 for so long. Problem is, long pipelines also need more power and suffer more from cache misses.

In any case, AMD has already stated that the max turbo clock for Kabini in a PC will be just under 2Ghz (10%+ on top of what Bobcat already has). Adding more cores just ups the power usage so I can't see how they would reach 2.6Ghz.

Also I've read that consoles are limited to a max power usage of something less then 50w. How true this is, I don't know.

What does the clock speed of an ARM processor have to do with the clock speed of the AMD chip inside the PS4?

24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    The architecture itself has more to do with clockspeed than pipeline speed. Take Phenom I and Phenom II for example same basic CPU on a more mature design huge clockspeed difference. Athlon K8's represent the same thing 1ghz all the way up to 3.2ghz is a huge difference.

Kabini is a bulldozer designed CPU and a rather mature one at that it has the ability to scale to 4ghz if the TDP and bulk yields allow it.

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Fix'd.

Really. BD core design made for 5 GHz. Like the song goes...You ain't seen nothing yet...b-b-b-b-b-aby...

or so I am hoping.:p

cdawall says thanks.