1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMDs Bulldozer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SpeedsticK, Nov 14, 2010.

1. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was watching a new episode of NCIX, and i heard something puzzling, i dont know if i am hearing this wrong or if it means something else, but is it true, just as in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxbG2AmdMNY

That Bulldozer is a "Core and a Half" processor?
  2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Probably has to do with their take on a HyperThreading-like technology. I think one module consists of two cores that share resources, so if you have 1 core per module working a task, it would be faster than one module (also consisting of 2 cores) working the same task due to how it shares resources.
    SpeedsticK says thanks.
  3. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh ok, cool, my english isn't tooo good, Thats actually pretty sick, i might switch, im just waiting on how well Intels 2011 is going to do, before i decide which to get. Thanks
  4. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    That is so incredibly wrong.

Two cores in a module will be much faster than one core in a module.

The resource sharing overhead is really small. As for it being a hyperthreading-like technology, it is not like HT at all. HT shares the integer pipelines (the stuff that does all of the work on the processor) and that can create bottlenecks for applications.

HT can handle 2 threads but can only process one at a time. Bulldozer modules can handle two simultaneous threads, processing both at the same time. That is a big difference.
  5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    HELL FUKIN YEAH!!! its finally good to hear some good news from AMD, thanks for posting this :toast:
  6. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the clarification JF...I like you being around here to correct some of the assumptions that are incorrect. :toast:
  7. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well yeah it is good to see us getting out of the "Opteron Era", i just hope Intel doesn't
    put out a bunch of crap, hopefully something that can compete with AMD, i really just
    want to see something different than a Phenom and I7 soon.
  8. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    I can't wait til AMD comes out kicks butt and takes names. It's been a long time and I would like to see at least a level playing field between AMD and Intel. It would help the AMD's market share so much because the "common folks" will finally hear the AMD name out there. When I build systems for people, one question I like to ask is do you prefer Intel or AMD and most of the time I hear: AMD - who is that?
    Thanks JF-AMD for that info. Do you have a good idea when the desktop Bulldozer versions will be on the market. I would love to build a new system within the next four months.
  9. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    Taken from JF's blog, it should be out between April and June of 2011:

PS Bulldozer sounds sweeeet :D
    DanTheMan says thanks.
  10. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Damn, Q2 is too long am hoping to have a new build come January, looks like i7 it is :( really like AMD though my old i7 rig kills my current, even if everyday use it just feels so much more responsive and snappy.

I will make do with i7 for a year and then maybe give Bulldozer a look in as it will have been out 6+ months by then and we will know what the real performance Vs Intel will be like!!
  11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    That won't change until AMD covers the entire field, Intel's chips are still used much more widely in business machines, servers, standard desktops and they still have money to spend on TV commercials. It does suck that AMD doesn't do similar, because then, we'd really be seeing a good fight. When i was younger and first started learning more about hardware i never heard of AMD until i actually started looking at good gaming chips (and at the time AMD was the better chip maker for gaming performance wise) and im still surprised to see that hasn't changed much and people still have no clue about AMD:ohwell:.

Hopefully Bulldozer is good, and hopefully Sandybridge can also show some good performance. Though my i7 system will probably last for a good while considering the poorly coded software/games.:):( lol
  12. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    TV commericals won't change much.

80%+ of the CPUs are sold as a component in an OEM system.

More than 80% of the world probably falls into the "processor unaware" category. The folks that frequent these sites are in the "processor aware" category so they have a different perspective.

Walk into any business and ask 20 random people what kind of processor is in their computer and you'll be surprised at the results.

Ask 20 purchasing agents what the processor was on the last 10 PO's that they issued, and you will probably get a similar response.

Ask 20 gamers and they will be 20 for 20 on their CPU, down to the model number and the clock speed.

If you want to influence the processor unaware crowd you have to hit the retail salespeople because that is where the rubber meets the road, that is the point where customers who are unaware are driven in one direction or another.

Now, for the processor aware, If you want to test my theory, ask yourself: "Would I buy an intel processor that was slower and cost more money just because I saw a cool ad on TV?" If the answer is yes, you would, then maybe we need to advertise. But if you wouldn't, then it tells me that TV adverts are not effective.
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It's a matter of getting people aware you exist as a brand. The sole goal of TV ad's aren't always to sell you something. People have to know who you are before they can take something from you.
  14. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    too true, course AMD is getting out there. This semester at college i've seen more AMD based laptops than i ever have, mind included. So they're slowly expanding it seems and esp with the deal they're supposed to have with Apple's mac products may help some as well.

It sounds as though AMD has been very innovative on the bulldozer architecture, but we all thought the same about Phenom. Though i will admit i have a good feeling that AMD will step it up a decent notch. Their double thread processing or w/e it'll be called does sound very awesome.
  15. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    maybe 15/20 ;) not all gamers give a shit about whats in the system aslong it plays...
  16. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea this would be quite true. I'd lower it to even 10/20. They'll get the brand and number of cores probly 20/20, but speeds and model number i still reserve to us enthusiasts.

I know a friend that has a roomate that is being paid to build a robot of some sort for NASA(idk y but he is). Ingenious basterd yet when i asked his computer specs i'd already guessed them before he could get em just from what he described.
  17. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    No all you have to do is have the TV commerical showing how a AMD APU will be able to play Farmville while anything with Intel graphics can't. That's your 80% unaware right there.

If there is anything I hear from my family, coworkers, and people I run in to day-to-day it is about that stupid game. :banghead:

But you know, make that (or flash based games in general) in to a cool commerical and you'll get the masses. I'd bet on it..............you know if I had that money stuff I hear about. Got to work on that by the time Bulldozer comes out.
  18. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    AMD’s 16-Core “Interlagos” Server Processor Named a “Top New Product to Watch”

Full article: http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/16-core-interlagos-2010nov16.aspx
    JD15 says thanks.