1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's FreeSync ?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SIGSEGV, Jan 7, 2014.

1. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    according videcardz.com there is a report that amd is quietly preparing a free tool alternative to counter nvidia's gsync. It's called with FreeSync though it's not final name. As usual amd will not take your penny even 1 cent to use this application aka FREE. In addition the good part is, it requires no additional hardware like nvidia's g-sync. All you need is monitor which meet VESA standard requirements and capable to run VBlank. However it'll take some (much) time to develop.

Note : take this info with a pinch of salt..
    natr0n and Mussels say thanks.
  2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Great news, and I think this is better than Light Strobing, since it works with 60Hz and you don't need a 3D display.

I know GSync doesn't either, but Nvidia have just dumped so much time and money into extravagant things, it seems they've lost touch with their focus. They don't even seem to be supporting their own games very well anymore.

There's tons of people on 700 series cards having strange problems with AC IV that those of us on AMD cards are not having issues with.
  3. The Mac

Thanks Received:
  4. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Perhaps they could fix the simple matter of D3D Vsync in their drivers first
    Fluffmeister says thanks.
  5. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    will be watching this hehe
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    do want. sounds like it could be good.

at long last all the micro stutter and vsync issues are being sorted...
  7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I am awaiting the time where it only refreshes the part of the screen that needs it, 60 frames but only 25% change in pixels rendered.........copy and paste sections of the screen to overdraw and use the Z buffer to compare and the AA engine to refit sections of the existing frames.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't get your hopes up yet. It may not require extra hardware, but it only works on a limited number of panels and display hardware. You almost surely will still would have to replace your monitor to use it.
  9. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    Vbank is a vesa standard power saving function. I would be surprised if a majority of monitors didnt support it.
    Mussels says thanks.
  10. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Certainly it's a standard function, but according to the few news articles about this, most desktop displays don't support the standard. It's a limitation of the display controller. It just like how displays don't support certain refresh rates even though the panel and connecting cables are within specification. The display controller just isn't designed (or programmed) to support those features.
  11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Unlike gsync where it costs extra, and uses a proprietary format and hardware, instead of a already implemented standard....sounds.....like another Physx attempt to capture the market by doing the same thing, but with a cost.

I am really starting to feel like Nvidia would bottle air, and sell it, and people would buy it and proclaim we don't thneed trees.
  12. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I agree it's a better implementation because it's open, but I will bet you that monitors supporting this will still be marketed as "gaming monitors" and marked up in price even though there is no hardware change. NVidia may overprice things, but the third party manufacturers love that they can make a larger margin on accompanying products compared to free and open standards.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  13. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    Ive seen no information to this effect.

As far as i can tell VBI is still included in all vesa standard monitors, and while outmoded for graphics in favor of double bufering, its still used for things like power saving, and macrovision encoding.

Some industrious coder needs to make a checker....
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    they used an existing laptop as an example of the tech, which means the hardware support is already out there to some extent.

this isnt like nvidias thing where a new monitor is guaranteed, you MIGHT get lucky with this.
    HD64G says thanks.
  15. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  16. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

Mussels says thanks.
  17. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    AMD already responded to that as well.

There is very little difference to what AMD & Nvidia are doing and most of it is on the display side.

Nvidia G-Sync
    add-on module for monitor sellers to add in.
    *Will only work with a Nvidia GPU

Project FreeSync
    A push for DP (eDP) v1.3 monitor support standards.
    *Will work with any GPU that has a driver to support it
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    ViperXTR says thanks.
  18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    i feel like i remember reading one of the interviews talking about how AMD's version doesnt quite align with timings or it adds a frame of input lag or something along those lines

even if gsync is a technically more advanced implementation, pcper has a shot showing problems below 30fps, so... hope something can be done about that

regardless, both cases are exciting
  19. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Between those two articles, per se, AMD wins.

o_O
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    DisplayPort DevCon 2010

[​IMG]
    The Von Matrices says thanks.
  21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    AMD: get a displayport monitor with this feature, and it'll work. some already exist.

Nvidia: get a G-sync monitor that costs a heap more cause its all proprietary tech, and it'll work. new monitor required.
  22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Essentially any monitor with advanced video processing has a small frame buffer to perform the work with, most happen to be TV's instead of "gaming monitors".
  23. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    By the time that all the pieces are in place for Free Sync (DP 1.3 standard ratified, DP 1.3 monitors available, AMD's driver released), G-Sync will be old hat. That $100 premium to use a technology years before a standard version is implemented is well worth it. It's no different than paying $100 extra to buy a top of the line graphics card now when you could just buy a mid range card with equal performance years later.
  24. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    For first to market I guess.

Its different because that old graphic card can fit into any PCI-E slot. The G-Sync monitor will only work with certain Kepler cards. Usually people put there old GPU in one of there other systems or sell them. If your try'n to sell your G-Sync TN monitor once DP 1.3 is ratified. More then not it will be included in the top lines like IPS / VA / 4k monitors. GOOD LUCK!!!

Nvidia is also going to have to deal with making sure there two drivers calls work G-Sync and DP v1.3 . Which one do you think they will give priority in-order to look better ?
  25. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Any G-Sync monitor will work with any other DP source, just without the frame syncing. However, for anyone who upgrades, it's absurd to think that G-Sync won't be supported by Maxwell or Volta cards. Even in the ridiculously unlikely scenario that conventional G-sync is completely discontinued with DP 1.3 or after Kepler cards, the only depreciation is the $100 or so of the G-Sync module. There are always people looking to buy used products for discounts. You do state that IPA / VA / 4K monitors will make current G-sync monitors obsolete, but I disagree with you there too. >60Hz monitors are a different market than IPS, VA, and 4K monitors. There are no >60Hz IPS, VA, or 4K monitors in any major company's plans, so the niche for high refresh rate monitors will still exist even if G-sync does not.

Regarding the second point, I agree with you in that I don't believe that NVidia's drivers will adopt frame syncing over conventional DP 1.3. However, G-Sync and DP 1.3 are not exclusive features in a monitor; it's highly likely that future G-sync monitors will have other DP 1.3 inputs just like most monitors have multiple inputs. This alone would make those monitors universally compatible with both NVidia's and AMD's implementations, since all AMD's implementation needs is DP 1.3. This is similar to how modern NVidia 3D vision monitors also accept DisplayPort, which allows them to use AMD's HD3D as well. If you're willing to pay the extra up front cost for G-sync, you won't be "locked in" to one side or the other with future monitors.