1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Cold Storm, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm not telling you what you want, i'm telling you why you're silly for wanting it.

Buying upscaled crap encourages them to make more upscaled crap, instead of actually adding some value to a BD set of older SD shows.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so you're telling me to not buy the BD of a show i love? yes, not supporting them will definitely get me more shows like it.
    djisas says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Why do you want more overpriced, low quality crap released? Buying the DVD supports them as well.
  4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The 90's were actually a very dark time for anime. Terrible dub work, bad business, almost every distributor operated in debt. Anime was late to DVD support because anime was looking like a dying product. Several key films and stuff like pokemon, dragonball z, and Disney help save anime from death. Anime barely survived the 90's.

Second, Spawn is not an Anime. Its failure on HBO didn't help anime one bit. And yes it failed as it was canceled half way through season 2 I think. It was only noticed because ok the contriversy it sparked related to religion. Hopefully the new Spawn will be better received.
  5. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    heard that appleseed 3 will be releaed this year is it true?if yes what is the release date.i just love appleseed movies.
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Jaffakeik says thanks.
  7. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
  8. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    We try to suport the industry...
    Not just downloading the subs...

What are you saying, the 90's where acclaimed the golden age of anime, it was the year of evangelion, escaflowne, trigun, bebop, many macross series and movies, probably gundamn too, Nadia, and many other titles...
    Dubs on the other hand have always been horrible, and most of us dont care...
    Mussels says thanks.
  9. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero

Thanks Received:
    i do, bad dubed animes are like poison
  10. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    the problem was distribution in the 90's. There was very little that was dubbed or subtitled. Most of the Good animes i saw in the 90's were Years after they were released in japan.

I used to watch dragon ball z. on cartoon network. Most of the time i would buy it on tape a few weeks before it was played on cartoon network.
  11. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    Im sure that isnt Japan's fault, but U.S companies that had little interest on the market back then and certainly not the anime's fault either...

Shit like pokemon and others brought mainstream to tv, stuff for all ages, and everyone knows cartoons is for kids, that mentality also helps a lot, but things have been changing and the market is very rich these days...
  12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You (as in "the West", generally) were just unfortunate. We got Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball, Evangelion, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho (we know it as Ghost Fighter though), Flame of Recca, Vision of Escaflowne, Slayers, Magic Knight Rayearth, Sailormoon, Vandread, Love Hina, Akazukin Cha-Cha, Inu-Yasha, etc. just mere months after they finished airing. In some cases we get to watch it just a couple of weeks behind the actual airing in Japan (for some of the shows which were aired during the weekends).
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:

I don't see how 90's wasn't slated as that.. You had so much going on.

As for HBO's Spawn. Due to the factor of living in the sticks and not in a city that didn't have one fast food and such.. Spawn was a big reason for a lot of people in the area to think about Anime. I still talk with a few that would even say, though it was a failure, that it was seeing that, and Dragon Ball in the morning, that they got to think there was something other then the "baby" stuff you saw everywhere.
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  14. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    Delayed anime and manga by ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-19/anime/manga-releases-delayed-after-quake/part-iii

and on other interesting news from ANN:
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Buying the DVD's supports the industry, and also sends them the message that we don't want upscaled crap on our BD's, we want something more offered to us.

As for the 90's, I agree. Best decade for anime. More good anime came out in that decade than any before or since. Early 2000's had some good stuff too. The past 5 or 6 years has been pretty lame tho. Dubs are a terrible way to measure anime quality. Although some of the best dubs even came out of the 90's. Bebop anyone?
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i downloaded the FLCL 720p rips... and the image quality is far above the DVD. its not just an upscale. audio seems unchanged.

as soon as region B BD's are out, i'm buying it.
  17. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    just got done watching Black Lagoon seasons 1 and 2, finished Fate/Stay Night, and am starting Claymore now,
    kid41212003 says thanks.
  18. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    You're on the right track buddy. :toast:
  19. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Claymore is not bad. I'm about half way through it. Reminds me of Devil May Cry.
  20. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I like my dubs when done correctly. And they have gotten much better.

While I too love most of those, they were the exceptions. And every generation will feel the same about the decade they started watching.
  21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    hell, no, every generation has been awesome for me. theres always good anime every year, its just that some years you watch the crap ones by mistake.

For example, i missed D.Gray man when it came out... and loving it right now. quite dark and violent, which i was not expecting. When good guys can get the arms ripped off or their hands broken, or be drowning in an ocean while a bad guy stomps on their head and keeps the under... then its no kiddy show XD
  22. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Haha my exact thoughts after watching a few episodes off the first season. But surprisingly it just keeps getting darker until the end <3.
  23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I did too. They are not better than the DVD's. Lanczos resizing achieves the same effect. They have no more detail than the DVD's. That tells you they are an upscale. If the BD has more details, then you know the source was shot in HD, if they have the same amount of detail, but are sharper at a larger res, they are upscaled and sharpened from an SD source.
  24. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well im no novice to anime i just dont post about it

so far

Finished

Seirei no Moribito

Black Lagoon

Samurai Champloo

Hajime No Ippo

Now and Then Here and There

Wolfs Rain

Code Geass

Blue Sub 6

Cowboy Bebop

Fate Stay Night

Ghost in the Shell SAC and SAC 2nd gig

Hellsing both old and the new OVAs

Kurozuka

Spice and Wolf seasons 1 and 2

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Seto No Hanayome

Love Hina

Gungrave

Neon Genesis Evangelion

FLCL

and others that escape me at the moment

anime im watching currently

Claymore

Full Metal Panic

Ikkitousen *not great but sometimes a fan service series is needed that and its loosely based on Romance of the three kingdoms, which is a time period i enjoy so its not bad*

gotta admit im only watching as much of it as i am because i cant really game as much due to this stupid hardware configuration of mine, granted did manage to get it stable for BC2, but not fun at all with things as they are currently so back to anime it is
  25. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Ikkitousen is loosely based on fail and terrible hatred if women, not the romance if the three kingdoms.

I really hated that show.