1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anime Nation

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Cold Storm, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Finished Index II, what do you guys think? I think there are too many characters out there, and its obvious that they are prepping for season 3.

2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I need to watch Index.. I got it.. But.. Man, I need some time to watch anime.. that's not dubbed..

3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
  4. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    Star driver last episode: Fabulous
    Kore was zombie finalle was unexpectedly awesome, actually i believe it was a sort of a "final twist"... Oh and besides the already listed ova planed for june, they raised the second flag in the end, and certainly there's plenty material for that...
    Bakuman ended more or less within expectations but with a little surprise in the end maybe, nothing "fabulous" though...

Still wrapping up winter season...
    Tomorrow starts spring for me...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  5. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Hanasaku Iroha seems really good.

I think you can make non-anime fan into one with this anime.. especially girls.

6. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Hanasaku Iroha is exception both visually and sonically which is rare for a non-OVA anime series. Its a high budget production for sure, hopefully the quality will stay consistent for the whole season.

For the first EP, the story seems very good and have great potential. Instead of cheesy fantasy life of only happiness, this is believable and hopefully brings out some interesting character development.

7. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Is there any way to play anime with FLAC audio through PS3 media server?

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sell PS3, buy a HTPC? XD

9. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I probably build one next year... but i'm not going to sell this PS3!

10. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    On the topic of PS3 media server and PS3, Can you actually watch 1920x1080 mkv's with embedded subs properly?
    I use PMS with the 360 but i have to scale to 1280x720 via PMS settings or it stutters, its not my rig or net because the buffer on the pc is full and everything is hardwired so no issue there either.

I been debating getting a PS3 or HTPC for my room to pipe content from my pc-tv, all i need is something that works well with your typical anime release formats softsubs and .mkv etc.

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my housemate cant make it work either, heaps of stuttering and/or poor video quality no matter what he does.

PS3 media server just seems to be pretty crappy, PS3's arent that great for media sharing/anime watching imo. they hate subtitles.

considering that you can make a hardware accelerated PC that can play 1080p MKV's out of a sempron single core and a radeon 4200 onboard and 2GB of ram (win7), its not expensive.

Batou1986 says thanks.
  12. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    That's what im thinking in one of those pretty Silverstone cases :D, or one of those zotac mini pc's if they can handle it ?

I wasn't sure if the ps3 was better or worse then the 360 at media playback, glad i didn't waste the money to find out as there sure isn't anything else to do with a ps3

13. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I only have problems with anime+FLAC audio and very old anime files.

Since i watch anime from my bed, i haven't noticed any degrade in quality.

14. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Earlier today Gintama' was announced anime of the year, all years.
    -Source: The Goddamn Batman.

15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it should do it by default. Or you might have to check the DTS/Flac to LPCM remux checkbox under common encoder settings.
    It's most likely a bug. First, for the best subtitle playback, install CCCP and AviSynth and use AviSynth/Mencoder in PS3MS. Second, limit your bandwidth in common transcode settings to 200 for Gb networks, 100 for 100Mb, or around 50 for strong wireless.

The other reason it will stutter is a Java memory error. That's also easy to fix. You need to launch PS3MS with a bat file that tells java to use more memory, instead of the exe.

Copy this into a text editor and save this as a .bat file:

Code:
    @echo off
    echo Java PS3 Media Server
    echo ---------------------
    echo In case of troubles with PMS.exe, this shell will launch ps3mediaserver in a more old fashioned way
    echo You can try to reduce the Xmx parameter value if you keep getting "Cannot create Java virtual machine" errors...
    echo Last word: You must have java installed ! http://www.java.com
    echo ------------------------------------------------

start javaw -Xmx2048M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath update.jar;pms.jar;plugins/*;plugins net.pms.PMS
    And HTPC's suck for watching subbed anime as well, unless you want to use a mouse and keyboard all the time. The remote interface and subtitle playback in Media Center sucks, and things like XBMC don't do styled subs properly on many titles.

There really is no one size fits all solution.

16. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I just grabbed Gintama.. I think I'll have to check it out.. lol

17. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    So I finally got around to watching some One Piece... as much as I thought I would hate it, I took your guys advice... show kicks major ass, I'm on episode 322 right now--- been about 2 weeks of nothing but anime! Thanks again to who suggested it, I'm just too lazy to go back and read for who it was!!!

18. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't convince me...

19. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    after seeing episode 1/2... I feel like I'm watching Bobobobo.... Yeah, that one.. :slap:

20. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    I have a serious recommendation for everyone!!
    All ages and all genders safe, it a new and innovative project:
    According to Anime!Anime!, The Agency of Cultural Affairs of Japan invested 214 million yen ($2.26 million) in "Young Animator Training Project" and entrusted the execution of the project to Japan Animation Creators Association (JaniCA). JaniCA will produce four original anime (23 min long with OP and ED sequences) in cooperation with four production studios by the end of next January. Young animators will receive on-the-job-trainings under the supervision of professional anime creators. The anime works are planned to be shown on TV or at anime events.

Young animators are generally trained while they work on in-between animations, but such opportunities are diminishing since anime producers have been outsourcing the process to China, South Korea, and South East Asian countries.

The previous Aso government had launched National Comprehensive Center of Media Arts project, commonly known as "The Anime Hall of Fame" last year and prepared a budget of 11.7 billion yen ($123 million). However, the current Hatoyama administration criticized that it's a waste of money and dropped it. JaniCa was one of the proposers of the project and has been lobbying for improvement of the environment of young animators.

Singapore Media Development Bureau has launched International Animation Fundation and will donate maximum $3.65 million per one anime work through the fund.

the titles of these 4 projects are as follows: Kizuna Ichigeki, Ojii-san no Lamp, Bannou Yasai Ninninman, Tansu Warashi.
    And i should add that gg as already subbed all 4 projects of which i have watched 3 and they are simply fantastic, fresh and innovative...

Animelist source

Cold Storm says thanks.
  21. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    PM me them if you can..

I'll have to add that to the op.. It's something that can really help in the long run of things.

22. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    done, dont miss anything...

Edit, just watched steins gate, ive been waiting for it for almost an year...
    It is very fascinating and intriguing, it makes your brain actually do something while watching it, thinking...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  23. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Oh, no.. Brain thinking.. Not good!

Now, bleach.. has it finished it's "downtime"? Or do I need to wait for fillers to end?

24. djisas

djisas

Thanks Received:
    Rukia said they gonna do a new story next week, dunno if its filler arc or they are starting the new manga arc...

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i just use a playlist in MPC-HC, and my universal remote to a USB receiver... play, pause, next rewind etc... what more do i need? gives me just as much control as any PS3 does.