1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Annoying LAN issue.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by LAN_deRf_HA, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I just reinstalled on an Asus P5Q SE PLUS. Everything was fine until I accidentally checked the optional update for the lan driver. I already knew to avoid it because of past experiences... this updated driver nukes the lan. It just won't connect to anything. Installing the driver from the asus site doesn't help, and just uninstalling the driver and letting windows reinstall doesn't help because it just reinstalls the new driver... and of course there's no option to uninstall the update started it all. I'm guessing it overwrites the files for the old built in driver. The only fix I have yet to find is to reinstall your entire OS and never update that driver. If anyone has any better suggestions I'm open to it.

I've run into this type of issue a number of times now. Nobody at MS is testing these damn optional updates in the field, and or they're entirely ignoring feedback. To this day the optional driver for my monitor causes horrible dithering in the built in picture viewer. It's this kind of half-assed crap companies making large sums of money do all the time that make me feel like starting some sort of action group, like consumers against incompetent monopolistic companies, or NAMBLA.

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Try uninstalling, then completely deleting the offending driver. Been a while since I had to do it, but I believe you can accomplish it thru Device Manager.

3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Well if there's a way to do it in device manager I can't find it. Just uninstall, disable and rollback. I'm not even sure which driver it's rolling me back to with all the ones I've tried. And if I did delete the driver how could I re-obtain the version that was installed with windows? As that was the only one that worked. I'm assuming it got overwritten with the one provided in windows update.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    This is the one thing system restore can fix. If it was on

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    try to find the related key with regedit, maybe when you uninstall it some key left and cause that
    btw if you cant find the right driver perhaps you could install it with latest os, latest os usually has built in driver so you dont need to search for it again

6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    It was windows 7 sp1, and it's not about the latest driver. That's what broke it. I'm not even sure it's so much about the driver version. For whatever reason the act of updating this driver seems to break it. I'm finding other instances of this online but no cure all yet. I'll try messing with the registry.

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i experience wifi issue with my atheros, uninstall aint solve it and it just work after i remove registry that related to it and reinstall it again
    yeah, maybe for driver you need to make some backup before installing newer one in case like this

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If you delete it, then put your Win 7 disc in, will it install from the Win7 disc after you reboot and the searching for drivers box pops up?