1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Another Faulty motherboard?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Kenshai, May 23, 2009.

1. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    These gigabyte boards I'm getting this would be the second one in a row with a problem. First one had an issue where many things wouldn't work. This time, my usb controller seems to be messing up, doesn't matter in windows 7 or Vista. Both are doing the same thing. It started out with freezing up and me whenever I plugged a flash drive in. Now it will slow down then blue screen my 7 install or freeze up my Vista install. Front panel as well as rear panel. When I reboot it, I lose USB functionality til I boot into windows, the boot manager and the safe mode boot options will not adjust with a usb keyboard. Yes the legacy usb support is on. I'm just about to disown this board altogether. I've reinstalled both 7 and vista, if anyone can give me ideas, let me know.

Also if I try to boot with the flash drive in, it will freeze before it ever boots into windows, on both platforms. Drive works on other computers just fine.

I am unsure if it worked before, because I didn't use a flash drive or anything other than my speakers + keyboard mouse in usb til just recently.

Edit:Well when I unplug my Z-cinema speakers everything works just fine. Now I'm a bit confused, these speakers worked just fine with other motherboards and not causing issues.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Shadowdust

Shadowdust

Thanks Received:
    I have the same issue with my Gigabyte board. It doesn't do it with all USB devices but a lot of times, it will freeze the moment I begin plugging in the device. So far it has happened with a flash drive, game controller, and the power connector to my Turtle Beach HPA-2 headphones.

Kenshai says thanks.
  3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I've never had a problem with any Gigabyte board, and I've owned at least 5-6 of them over the years. The EX58-UD5 that I have now, may be the most stable board I've ever owned.

Kenshai says thanks.
  4. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I've used four different gigabyte boards and never had a problem with a single one til this one. I'm loyal to which I have good luck with, but I didn't read anyone having any issues with this besides me. So I figured it was an isolated incident.

5. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Hi Kenshai,

Are you running the latest bios revision for your mainboard? The easiest way to check is to install this utility http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    and check the motherboard tab for the bios revision... You can go to http://www.giga-byte.com/ and get the latest bios and easy to use bios flash utility.... whilst your on your mainboard download page open device manager and check the version of your driver software to what gigabyte has available for download... If there is anything newer update it as this will often solve problems like the one you describe

Hope you get it sorted,
    Craig0.

Kenshai says thanks.
  6. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I'm purposely running an older bios revision, but yes I flashed to the most recent, and no it didn't fix the problem, I'm not too worried about it at the moment, just I may forget here and there that I have an issue. Thank you though.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you could try using a powered USB hub and connecting the speakers to that.

8. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Oh good call, think the Rockband one will work fine? :laugh:

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no idea. but its worth a shot, USB is USB.

10. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i have one and i know what the problem is , it happened with me when i install info chipset driver , so i leave this driver and install USB using update driver from device manger

11. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I suppose I'll uninstall chipset drivers and give it a go.

12. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    try it my friend i told it happened with me with my gigabyte p45 when i install win xp , i don't have this problem under vista or 7 but seems it is same problem