1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

another one with possibly weak psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zfc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. zfc New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi all
    i had this configuration:
    E8500 clocked to 4gHz
    4850 512MB
    4GB DDR2
    640GB WD Blue
    1DVDRW
    TV Tuner
    couple of 120mm fans
    a few USB devices
    Logitech x-230 speakers
    PSU: Sharkoon SHA450P/8P

so far, my system has been working flawlessly.

yesterday i changed VGA (got an 1GB GTX460) and CPU (switched to Q8300).

since then i am experiencing much slower windows startup, a few games crashed back to desktop, once i got BSOD in game, in crysis sometimes sound starts "scratching".

could it be that my PSU is too weak?

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    start up goes slow not only from the hardware, software, and unused file or registry can make it slower
    clean your system first then check your hardware, does your rig goes bsod repeatly at the same time or random, check your processor and the hsf, it would be overheat, the ram check it again
    for psu, it could from there, 450 is kinda enough or its better if you take higher
    sound scratching, looks like software problem, it could from os, the aplication or the driver
    i hope it works

3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Which motherboard do you have?

Sometimes motherboards need a bios upgrade to function well with a new processor (mine did to switch from E4300 65nm to E8400 45nm) however it might not be the case since both your processors are 45nm.........

Did you do a windows reinstall? Probably you needed to, but if you weren't prevented from logging into your old install after changing processor... well windows won't like it and might give you similar problems.

Also make sure you installed all drivers, especially motherboard chipset drivers. Go into Device Manager from the control panel and check that you haven't got any yellow ! symbols...

4. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Not really sure how you mean on that, I've changed my processor multiple times in my main rig all without reinstalling never did it when XP was around but Vista and 7 have zero issues swapping processors in the same motherboard.

On the other hand, OP did you do a clean install while installing the Nvidia drivers for the new card?

Black Panther says thanks.
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not that important, when I changed processors I was still on XP so perhaps that's why it forced me to reinstall.. Thanks, it's nice to know that windows 7 has no issues :)

To the OP: Another thing to check is the +12 V supplied by the psu. The GTX460 needs 24 A on that rail, and if I remember correctly a minimum of 450W total for the PSU. Now you're already on the minimum for wattage since your PSU is 450W, check on the side of the PSU (it's normally written there) how much amperage is the +12 V rail delivering.

6. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Long story short it does SOUND like teh psu

7. zfc New Member

Thanks Received:
    i forgot to mention that temperatures are not an issue, since cpu cores don't go above 45°C during load, and VGA max temp is around 55°C.

is there any way to check if it's PSU (without some electrical equipment)?

8. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Occt has a psu stress test.

9. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    could be the psu, maybe u zapped it when u were changing parts..

Main thing i wanted to say thats OT, the e8500 is better for gaming compared to that quad u put in.

10. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'm willing to bet your slowed boot times is because of your q8300. That isn't exactly a fast quad. Your e8500 had 6 mb of cache, which did alot for it's quickness. I experienced the exact same thing when I switched from a e8400 to a xeon 3220(q6600 equivalent). I got the quickness back when I got my q9650(same amount of cache per core as the e8400/e8500).

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Thats 2 of us that say ur upgrade was actually a downgrade.. more cores does not mean faster processor :toast:

12. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i have also heard that for a processor upgrade, some motherboards require you to reset the bios

just my 2 cents worth ;)