• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Another PSU Question

simsim44

Processor AMD X2 4200 AM2@2.53
Motherboard Asus M2R32-MVP
Cooling Titan,Nikita Liquid, 1CPU,2GPU blocks
Memory 2Gb's Corsair PC6400-c4
Video Card(s) 2, Connect3D X1900GT's in Crossfire 641/1440
Storage 2,WD 320's Sata 3.0(SE16)
Display(s) Samsung, Syncmaster 205bw
Case Thermaltake, Tsunami Dream
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab,SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply OCZ, GXS600
Software XP-Pro,HL2,HL2E-1,Sin E-1,GRAW,D3-ROE,Q4,FarCry,Stalker
I got a question for you.
How could you reccommend all those PSUs.
Most of them are shit PSUs.
No offence, but Rosewill does not have quality parts within their PSUs, hence why they are cheap.
Also, Antec has had a really bad rep. for their PSUs lately since they have been using cheap parts as of late.
THey have been dying in like 8 months for no reason.

The only one I can reccommend that you have up there is the FSP one.
FSP is a great PSU manufacturer.

Next time when you decide to give advice, you might want to do your homework as well.
Its not just about the amps on the 12V rail.
It is also about the quality of the parts that are used and what OEM are used for these parts.

I have owned low budget psu's in the past and had no problems with them, including the ones listed, no problems that i didn't have with the high dollar ones . the 8 months you are refering to is this a personal expeirence or what you have been told ,and if so ,what was the aplication, was it too demanding as it was said most people skimp on power supplies, not knowing the dangers it puts on the rest of the system. also"I" (my opinion) dont see the need for this person to have a120 dollar psu for the system thats posted .From thier post "I" would think that they are not a rig building Guru like yourself . and i have seen your post with this link "http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088" and agree that the Rosewell's are NOT top of the list, actually quite low on the list, however,"not recommended" for what ,a top of the line bone crushing rig, OK, this individual is not working with one . The point is the kid's looking at psu's, educate him just dont sell him a high dollar unit, without the why's, and yes "I"(my opinion) feel it's alot more to do with other factors than just amps on a rail, like efficiency,hold time and ovp to name a few.

Last edited:

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
I have owned low budget psu's in the past and had no problems with them, including the ones listed, no problems that i didn't have with the high dollar ones . the 8 months you are refering to is this a personal expeirence or what you have been told ,and if so ,what was the aplication, was it too demanding as it was said most people skimp on power supplies, not knowing the dangers it puts on the rest of the system. also"I" (my opinion) dont see the need for this person to have a120 dollar psu for the system thats posted .From thier post "I" would think that they are not a rig building Guru like yourself . and i have seen your post with this link "http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088" and agree that the Rosewell's are NOT top of the list, actually quite low on the list, however,"not recommended" for what ,a top of the line bone crushing rig, OK, this individual is not working with one . The point is the kid's looking at psu's, educate him just dont sell him a high dollar unit, without the why's, and yes "I"(my opinion) feel it's alot more to do with other factors than just amps on a rail, like efficiency,hold time and ovp to name a few.

When you say low-budget I am guessing you are talking about cheaply made PSUs.
I would never recommend one of those.
I see a lot of people buying $1000 systems with a $20 PSU.
There is something wrong with that, isnt there?
And when it blows up on them, they wonder why and are mad.
Personally I dont like taking that risk and I imagine a lot of others dont as well.

Just bc you have been lucky doesnt mean you should reccomend a low quality power supply.
I agree that that PSU is prob. too much, if he is not going to upgrade SOON to a HIGH END CARD.
I have already stated that.
If he isnt going to do that then get a FSP 400W or 500W since they are reliable PSUs that dont cost that much.

Also, cheap PSUs usually have horrible 12V lines.
The amps on those line fluctuate a lot and you lose a lot of power (with the little power they already give you on the 12v lines).

As for the Antec comment, I have not had any bad experiences yet with them (knock on wood).
However, I have heard, seen and read a few reviews that they have been dying on people.
And the reason is quite simple.
Its bc they changed their OEM parts they use, which are cheap parts now.
Kind of like what generic PSU makers use.

So next time you post please do your homework and look at reviews.
And please dont expect that everyone wants to take chance like you do.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Those are two damn nice fine choices for PSU and Ram. Cant go wrong.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
well from what i have read from these post, you need a good 12v rail ampage, 28Amps isn't week. it's alot better than the current psu i got. rated at only 13a. but if i'm not going sli or some other High end gpu like a r600 or the 8800's then are you saying i could get something cheaper and be fine? like a fsp? Now the ram, if i got one of them now and then bought another later would it work just fine? as in would they be the same and run in dual channel? would i be better off getting a 2x512mb instead of 1x 1gb?

well from what i have read from these post, you need a good 12v rail ampage, 28Amps isn't week. it's alot better than the current psu i got. rated at only 13a. but if i'm not going sli or some other High end gpu like a r600 or the 8800's then are you saying i could get something cheaper and be fine? like a fsp? Now the ram, if i got one of them now and then bought another later would it work just fine? as in would they be the same and run in dual channel? would i be better off getting a 2x512mb instead of 1x 1gb?

Thats a nice PSU, but you still might not need that much power unless you are going SLI or with a high end GPU.
If you dont you can still go a little cheaper.
I think FSP makes a 450W PSU for $60 or something like that.

I suggest you get the 1 x 1GB since it gives you more of an upgrade path for later on.
You can get another stick of this and they will run fine.
But you have to make sure that you get this exact RAM.