1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Antec VP550P 550 W - Is it good enough?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by agmons, Jan 19, 2012.

1. agmons New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

I am building a new pc system for multi-use purpose (causal use, gaming and graphical editing) and with a strict budget.

My final spec. are:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
    M/B: Asus P8Z68-V
    Fan: Antec Kohler H2O 620
    RAM: 2X4Gb G.skill 1333
    GPU: ATI Sapphire HD6950 2Gb
    HD: 3x sata2 drives (7200)
    PCI WNIC
    DVD/RW drive
    And probably 2 extra case fans (120mm)

The question is: would the "Antec VP550P 550 W" be good enough for the system? I know it got excellent review here.

I originally wanted to go with a 700W thermaltake litepower PSU, but the seller at the store who seems like a real expert said that he strongly doesn't recommend the thermaletake and suggested I go with (for almost the same price) "Antec VP550P 550 W"

Please help me out here,
    Thanks a lot
  2. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Lol that dude that recommand you that psu is a idiot, i would lever use a 550 watt with a 6950
    And tt is really good my tt tough power 700 watt is still rocking after 3,5years
    I should get a decent a brand 650w+ psu
    dirtyferret says thanks.
  3. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    the short answer is...

no, seasonic or enermax...(ad warning?) imo. the seasonic x-series FTW. enermax is also awesome, but i believe that they emit a very slight electronic whine.
  4. dirtyferret

dirtyferret New Member

Thanks Received:
    please stop giving advice, it makes you look foolish and ignorant on subjects
  5. dirtyferret

dirtyferret New Member

Thanks Received:
    while either PSU would work, you would be pushing that antec a lot and techpower did state in their review how the antec fan makes a lot of noise. I personally would pass on either PSU but I'm guessing in your market you have little choice. Of the two I would pick the lesser of the two mediocre PSU and go with the thermaltake.

as for the idiot who thinks you can't run the 6950 off a 550w unit, I ran the an OC phenom II x4 and GTX560ti (which uses more power then the 6950) off an antec TPN 550w. His lack of PSU knowledge fails to realize 12v amps are more important to a PSU then a "claimed" power rating.

actual power used by a gaming system with the AMD 6950 is 320w at load and less then 300w during gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.1.1.1015 (Intel)
    Hard Disk: OCZ Summit (120GB)
    Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 3 x 2GB (7-7-7-20)

[​IMG]
    agmons says thanks.
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Neither of the two are good choices to be honest. If you haven't bought any of the parts yet, you should go with a slightly cheaper board, as well as air-cooling that is good already but still cheaper than the H2O 620. Then add your savings from that to increase your budget for the PSU.
  7. agmons New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all for your help

I ended up going with the Antec VP550P and finished building my new system. It works beautifully and to my surprise very silently, though I haven't fully stressed it yet (only ran a passmark 06 benchmark). funny thing is when I fired-up the system for the first time it was so quite I thought I forgot to connect something :)

So thanks for the help for the most of you (some may want to relax of the advice giving).
    added some pictures of the new system.

Best to all of you.

Attached Files:

8. codewalker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Followup

Just like to ask how your system is going. Did you encounter any problems? We almost have identical specs and am planning to replace my PSU with that same Antec model.
  9. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    It's a very good power supply, enjoy your system. :)
    agmons says thanks.
  10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks perfectly fine to me, as long as you are not gunning for the highest overclock while maxing on Furmark.
    agmons says thanks.
  11. agmons New Member

Thanks Received:
    System is working great

The system has super performance and is really quite even when I run "heavy" games on max such as BF3.

hope you will enjoy your system as well

Thanks