1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AntiFreeze, Outside Radiator -1+c temps, isolated Loop project.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by SystemViper, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    AntiFreeze, Outside Radiator -1+c temps, isolated Loop project. A Mother Earth Chiller.
    I want to take advantage of the North East Coast Weather.
    It is 30 degrees F today that is -1c and i will get even colder.
    I have been doing some reading on people that did this and also people that use Antifreeze in their loops. I have a few questions so i will try to be specific with what i want.

I want to build a separate loop cooling system that will be hooked up to a CPU Waterblock or and/or a Ram cooling block.
    It will be run out the window that is next to my computer and run to a radiator that is sitting in a bucket (that is half filled with Anti freeze) then back thru the window to a CPU block then to the resi and then the D4 pump and back out the window.

Loop Resi > D4 Pump > WINDOW > Radiator (in bucket of AntiFreeze) > WINDOW > CPU Waterblock > Resi

I am using all old parts except the D4 pump (30.00 petra) so if i ruin the stuff who cares, I only want it for Winter Benching. The system will run normal 24/7 on a regular 2 loop water cooling setup. So this Outside Cooling will only be used for benching.

Parts,
    MCW 120.3
    D4 Pump
    Koolance CPU 330 CPU block
    7/16 - 5/8 hose
    Insulation To Counter Condensation Build-up
    Various Fans to blow on CPU

Has anybody done this, I am thinking of using a mixture of Distilled water and Antifreeze, I want the fluid in the loop NOT to freeze. I know this will have more viscosity and make the pump work more but I will sacrifice the pump/block/hose for this Winter Benching Session.

I am adding antifreeze to the Bucket outside and putting the radiator in the antifreeze because I feel it will offer more of a cold block to keep the fluid at constant and hopefully outside temps, which could drop to 0 degrees F / -17c During mid winter in late Dec/Jan

The computer will be very close to the window inside and the bucket will also be very close to the window on the outside to keep the loop length as short as possible. I will also use pipe insulation on the hose inside up to the computer to keep the temps as cold as possible.

I am expecting to deal with condensation, but how much and exactly what i will do will be determined from gaining more information.

Should i cover the block with the the black foam insulation or should i just cover the board good and give it good air flow or both?
    What i the best antifreeze or coolant that will not freeze to use?
    Will I have any problems with the hose?
    Am i missing anything?

So that should give you an idea of what i am trying and hopefully i have thought it thru, It should be pretty easy to set up and use and hopefully i have thought of most of the project. :rolleyes:
    So any advice or tips, experience and/or warnings that you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I almost did this last year, but It was already end of winter, I think I have a jump on it this year. :up:

thanks in advance for any help or comments :rockout:

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    you dont need to put antifreeze in the loop unless you plan on leaving it outside when the loop is going it should be just fine cause water temp will go up thanks to all that wonderful heat your cpu puts out.

the bucket thing use mineral oil its freezing temp is -30C you can fill a bucket all the way up with it and run fans in it to lol

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I thought about the same idea but placing the radiator in the freezer of my mini fridge.
    Let us know if you have any condensation issues, that was my worry.

4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If the lines freeze he will have massive condensation, so he can't let the processor heat up the lines over time. Besides you don't want liquids expanding in your lines from freezing and breaking stuff.

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    forgot about that wrap your hoses in paper towels inside your case and the mobo "should" be ok when its on the electricity running thru it will keep it from building up

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    could just go the easy route and open the window and just shut the door to the house....lol

I find this good in two ways. No condensation issues as of yet as the PC and room are that temp. The beers never get warm if you set the 6 pack on the window sill. Seriously tho just about 30-45 mins to get the room cooled down, then as much benching as you can do untill you cant feel your fingers. I sit here in a few layers and gloves until I need fingertips to do something.

Only advice is to leave the Pc on as the room warms up and as it cools down.

7. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    Yea, i am worried about any freezing in the line, that is why i don't mind using antifreeze, an from what i have read there is a good combo of antifreeze and Distilled water that will keep it from freezing and not be to thick.

8. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    that is a true pro speaking, Love that. :toast:

9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, just be real careful with it because antifreeze conducts!

10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    thats fine run the antifreeze in the loop but you really dont need it in your bucket lol

11. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    it conducts hmmmm.

12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    does anyone think other than me that he might need a second pump? i mean thats a big extension and alot of fluid so without a second pump the flow rate might go down.

13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if he does i still have a MCP350 (laing version) with a petras top if he needs it

14. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Agreed Sol, but it depends on how far he is going and if the water is lower or higher than the PC when its out the window.

I still vote just close the door and save a ton of time and effort. Layer up FTW!

Solaris17 says thanks.
  15. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    well i think of it like this anti freeze is heavier on the pump and regard less of higher or lower gravity is going to give the pump a run for its money with that much fluid.

16. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Agreed there as well. Honestly tho I have the Swifty 655 and it claims to have 50PSI at 10 ft straight up. I would assume and hope that even if it slowed the pump down a gallons per hour, it wouldnt be that big of deal as the water is colder that is passing. Only theory tho!

17. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ya i agree nvm then since its being super cooled in a bucket i guess their is no worry.

18. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    I can't see the one straight run from the CPU block to the raditor being more then 3-4 feet total, my bench is right next to the window and i will put the bucket on a bench right outside of the window, prob at the same hight. I'd bet i can keep it 3 feet.

Plus i will dilute the Antifreeze something like 30% antifreeze and 70% distilled water.

I was thinking about getting a second pump, Perta has the new D4's @ $30.00ea and 4 for $100

I am also using a MCW 120.3 which i very free flowing and prob the Koolance CPU-330 waterblock which is not restrictive either, so I am hoping it can push that molasis... lol