1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Antivirus advice needed

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Krazy Owl, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    You guys are making me feel bad :laugh: :roll:

- Norton bad
    - Norton sucks
    - Norton is a resource hog

I'm not that bad..... really! :p

O/T - Norton Internet Security or 360 have been running w/o issues for anything I've used them on over the last three versions or so. However, there are plenty of free options out there.
    HammerON and Mussels say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Flip a coin. Bad luck and 0 day exploits are well beyond what either can handle (by the nature of the problem), and both of them are quite good for other stuff. I personally use MSE, as long as you don't have wood for a PC Norton is actually quite invisible. I don't like Kaspersky babysitting me, but it might have changed since a few years ago.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Kaspersky hands down over Norton, at least it STOP's viruses.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that was always optional, and it asked during install. you chose the non-default nanny option.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I get by on Avast and COMODO free AV and FW just fine, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    Melvis says thanks.
  6. kciaccio1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^what he said^^^^I do all sorts of crap I shouldn't be doing. Never got a virus with the first part of his advice.
  7. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Melvis says thanks.
  8. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Kaspersky 2011 it's better .
  9. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Do i really need antivirus program?Cant remember when I used it last time.Nothing bad happened in these years without Antivirus for me.So is there really a point of using it?
  10. Evan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think Kaspersky is the best answer to your question.
  11. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Just download Avast AV. free, light, fantastic!
  12. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I've used almost every AV out there, Bitdefender, ESET NOD32, AVG, Symantec, Norton, Sophos, Avast!, Kaspersky, plus the malwarebytes and smaller programs. and i can honestly say, they all work perfectly fine. Stick them all on a piece of paper and draw out of a hat, none of them are particularly disappointing, all of them stop viruses unless you're a retard (i dare say 90% of viruses are down to user error, letting them past the AV Shield).
    I used ESET for 3 years, and avast is currently the only Setup file i still have backed up in my software folder, so i install that everytime, merely for a quick setup.

EDIT: Just saw users specs, do not use Norton, it will eat your system hardware alive. though most high end pc's wont care.
    Also norton is not as bad as it was 4 years ago, but still bad
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah every AV has plus and has minus, just make sure you run the latest version and do update
  14. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    Do you at least run a web-based scan? Your system could be infected and you not even know it.

It's like having high cholesterol and not having any symptoms until you get a physical from the doctor. My analogy may be wrong, but you get the picture.
  15. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I use Eset NOD32 or Security Suite, or Microsoft Security Essentials. I also use Spybot S&D to immunize and scan once in a while, as it blocks bad addresses directly from your host file. I have used Norton Internet Security and AV in the past, but not recently. I liked it back then, but can't speak of now. I will however, recommend trying the Norton free trial. They very recently scored above almost all other competitors in a security software firm evaluation. I like Eset though, as it has detected and cleaned a TON of things before it has even happened. Their security suite will actually block URL's and software that is a known malware to them. Try each separately for a couple weeks and pick that way I would say. Run a VM if you don't want to deal with uninstalls and such.
  16. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    I'm hoping with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes together

Well...thanks to MM's input I finally popped for Kaspersky.
    I went for the PURE 2.0 version.
    I d/l'ed the 30 day trail version last week and I liked it so much I decided to grab a CD copy from Amazon.
    Funny how Amazon works sometimes.
    I just got done paying $38.66 plus tax for a 3 User CD and I went back 5 minutes later online and the price jumped to $45.95 plus tax.
    And...if I bought it through Kaspersky (which I wanted to do initially) it would have cost me $79.00 plus tax.
    I backed out of that deal though because after 3 different phone calls to Kaspersky all I could get was sales people in Mexico and the Phillipines. No thank you.
    That would have been funny...a great anti-virus package with a good possibility of identity theft over the phone buying the item.
    I asked for a USA phone number for sales but was told every time there is no such number. It's a global.
    So I went to tried and true Amazon for the sale.
    I'm hoping with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes together I should be good to go.
    Thanks MM :toast:
  17. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Its been a few years but in 2009 I had trouble uninstalling norton until I found the norton removal tool and it was slow.

If you trust the vb100's results here they are.
    [​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Funny how Amazon works sometimes

2-18-2013 PM
    Funny how Amazon works sometimes.
    I just got done paying $38.66 plus tax for a 3 User CD and I went back 5 minutes later online and the price jumped to $45.95 plus tax.
    And...if I bought it through Kaspersky (which I wanted to do initially) it would have cost me $79.00 plus tax.

2-19-2013 AM
    Now it's online @ Amazon for $29.96
    It's crazy.

I can't figure it out. Why does the pricing jump around so dramatically at Amazon?