1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any good speakers?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by russianboy, Nov 30, 2008.

1. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spend the majority of my time in music, about four hours a day I'm either playing, listening, or writing music. Simply put, I've had enough of my cheapo speakers. I really want to get something better, but at the same time I am really limited by my budget.

For a while I was looking at the Wharfedale 9.1s, but I don't think they are powered, plus I hear they are actually surround sound speakers as part of the 9 series. So I start looking around for studio monitors on musician's friend, and everything in my range looks pretty crappy...

So I'm wondering, are there any small brands or underdog speakers that offer good sound at a sub 300 dollar level? I know that amount doesn't leave me with much to choose from, but if there is something I can get, such as a clearance item, I'll probably take it.

It wouldn't be helpful to the forum if I didn't state what I'm looking for in this set, so here goes.

A warm to warm-neutral sounding pair of speakers. I don't want a separate woofer, so something with a 5 inch or more LF driver. A silk dome tweeter would be nice, because these are going to go on my desk, and metal tweeters sound rather harsh near-field.

I'm not going to be mixing much or anything requiring too much accuracy. But I will be cranking lots of rock songs, so headroom is important in this case.

Thanks in advance.
  2. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, seems it's pretty evident that what I am envisioning is out of my price range.

Are the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s any good?
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    they are your going to hit a snag with all PC speakers though best choice is get a receiver and speakers

i have a H/K AVR347 pushing 7 channel surround sound (no sub) and it sounds better than any PC speakers i have heard in my entire life sub or no sub. exact speakers are under my sys specs tab
  4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well - if $300 is your maximum budget . . .

you can get quite a lot of high-quality setups for less than that. What would you prefer, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1?

If you'd like something that has a nice, warm tone to it, but is crystal clear without washing out various sounds - IMPP cones with a kevlar surround are great for this . . . but the "exotic" materials will push the price-bar up.

about how far away, maximum, do you intend for the speakers to be positioned?
  5. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Max of 6 feet away from the listener (me)

But I'd like these to really be able to push some air, my room is about 9 feet by 15 feet. So filling that up with sound shouldn't be a challenge.

I actually was looking for a 2.0 setup, but it seems like good bookshelf speakers plus a receiver...too expensive. So 2.1 would be nice, that's why I was considering the Klipsch promedia speakers as a possible option, I just don't want to have really screechy highs with overwhelming, boomy lows along with the lack of mids. I like my mids.

I'm not gaming much anymore, but am a huge music guy. No need for surround sound IMO.
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I'll do some looking - I don't think you'd have a problem assembling a good bookshelf/subwoofer 2.0 setup for the budget amount you listed. Mid range, IMO, is the most important drivers one needs - that's where the large chunk of the audio spectrum is . . . most people seem to forget that :wtf:

asides, 6' away, max, IMO slightly larger woofers and tweeters would better suit you than what is typically found in most setups. 2-4" woofers would be alright, but you'd end up with a lot of airborne crosstalk.

but, yeah, I'll do some diggin for ya :toast:
    russianboy says thanks.
  7. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grab a Creative G51. Much cheaper and heard some mems around here say they were really good.
  8. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's Logitech not creative.

Logitech Z5500(High end) or Logitech G51(Good)
  9. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
  10. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright - just a quick dig to start with:

Pioneer S-HF41-LR

specs:

• Bass Reflex Design
    • Polypropylene cone
    • Magnetically Shielded for Video Applications
    • Configuration: 3-Way
      [*]Woofer – 8” cone type
      [*]Midrange – 4” cone type
      [*]Tweeter – 1” semi-dome​
    • Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
    • Frequency response: 40 Hz - 20KHz
    • Sensitivity: 84 dB
    • Maximum power: 160 Watts
    • Dimensions:
      [*]9 7/8 (W) x 19 13/16 (H) x 11 3/4 (D)
      [*]Weight – 15 lbs. 10 oz. ea.​

sold as a pair; $70.

if you'd like a Pioneer sub to match them, I'd recommend this unit: Pioneer SW-301 8" subwoofer - although, I had a little bit of a hard time trying to find one listed for sale . . . average price looks in the range of $399+

If you thin kyou might actualy be in league for a full 5.1 home theater system:

Pioneer HTS-570 $299

I'll recommend Pioneer first, they're the brand I'll stand by. Upper-end quality at very affordable prices, and sound reproduction capability that's hard to beat. A leader in their class, IMO . . . I've hear Pioneer systems that sound far superior to BOSE at less than half the price tag ($500 compared to $1700).

Now, back to the shovel for me . . . :p
  11. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers....you wont be disappointed!

ninja edit: Please oh please, if you are at all serious about the sound quality of your music....stay away from :

1) Creative, their speakers are sub par when compared to practically any other brand.
    2) Bose, some nice technologies but mediocre at best.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  12. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Jeez that pioneer HTS570 does sound nice. Heaps of power out too. :)
  13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

1) Agreed - as great as Creative's audio cards are . . . their speaker setups are sub-par output quality and overpriced
    2) Agreed as well - BOSE somehow has become overhyped, IMO . . . a lot of their "innovations" are just a re-hash of techonology that Pioneer, JVC, Jensen or some other company had already had on the market for years (especially in regards to Pioneer). Audio quality is *phbbtttt* IMO as well . . . not worth their price tag.

If I had the space, I'd half consider that as well. What I'm dying to hear, though: Pioneer S-A4SPT-PM :twitch: . . . $598 for a pair :twitch:
  14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if he buys a logitech i will come throw them in the trash to save him the trouble. if you want muddy speaker you might as well get bose at least they have good highs
  15. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I'm using insignia.

BLEEEEEEH (Realistic STA-720 receiver does pretty nicely, though)
  16. WC Annihilus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a pair of the lower level HF21's paired with a Pioneer VSX-818V, no sub atm. Pumps out the sound pretty well, fills my 15x12 (I think) dorm no problem. One of the favorite budget subs seems to be Dayton HT series that can be found at PartsExpress: http://www.parts-express.com/webpage.cfm?FILTER=dayton+ht+subwoofer&FTR=dayton+ht+subwoofer&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&x=0&y=0