1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any good Windows based MP3 player?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BondExtreme, Apr 2, 2013.

1. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to find a windows based MP3 player that can also handle FLAC audio files. I've never heard of any out there that can handle but maybe there are devices I don't know about yet that can. I am trying to stay away from Apple with their iPod. Just bought a new car with an AUX port so I kind of have to have an MP3 player now. hehe
    If anyone has any info on this please let me know. Thank you.

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by Windows based?

Anyway there aren't really any serious mp3 players left now. At least not if you want some capacity, which I assume you want if you want to play FLAC. So either you use your phone (just playing music doesn't drain the battery much), get a Cowon X7 or iPod Classic. I would go for the iPod Classic 160GB, they are about €200 here. Just put Rockbox on it and you're good to go.

EDIT: Just did some quick searching and it seems the Cowon has better sound, but it's also fairly large.. It also seems the iPod get sort of sluggish when you start to fill it up. Even in the menus.

3. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. The Cowon? I've never heard of it. But will these MP3 players including the iPod be able to even play FLACS?

4. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I think you have to put Rockbox on the iPod if you want that. At least that was the case last time I checked. Which was years ago, but they have been around for a long time..

5. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Sony NWZ-Z series or the Sony NWZ-F series. Both have android so FLAC shouldn't be a problem.
    Plus you get great audio quality.

Frick says thanks.
  6. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
  7. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Goes up to 32GB too.. Could be interesting. Looks sort of expensive though, in the stores I've found them. A 16GB model is almost as much as a 160GB iPod Classic here. It depends on how much music you want to put on there I guess.

8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The only truely Windows based portable media player was the Zune which they discontinued some time ago. The software still exist as all Win7 and Win8 phones have Zune built it, but no dedicated hardware any more.

Cowon, Sony, and Coby are you only choices beyond Apple now.

9. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    I would get Sansa Clip+. Bummer you didn't buy a car with a USB port.

10. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I'm using AIMP 3 for FLAC files - it handles single file FLACs with *.cue file just as good as separated flacs.

wait ... it's about windows based portable media player? Disregard this then.

11. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
  12. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    the MP870 i linked also does FLAC :p 8GB memory with a card slot accepting up to 16GB micro sd card.

from the product description

"Aside from RM/RMVB that other brands rarely support, the MP870 is compatible with a variety of popular file formats such as MPEG4 SP (Xvid) and FLV files, as well as MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) music files."

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. T3RM1N4L D0GM4

T3RM1N4L D0GM4

Thanks Received:
  14. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    +1 on Cowon's (S9 user and loving it!!!)

15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    What you all are suggestion is the problem with media problems imo. If I would get one I would want it to have as much storage as possible so I could fit my entire collection there and use it everywhere. In the car, at home (connected to the stereo), on the train etc.. I feel like that is the entire point with them. I had a Creative Vision M that I really really liked, but it got stolen. 16 or even 32GB just doesn't cut it.

16. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Another vote for the very cheap Sansa Clip+. Plays FLAC, most say it has better sound than the iPods, and can be expanded with any SD card. You don't even use any silly software, you just drag and drop the music onto it.

I'm not sure what the fella above was talking about, you simply use a cord with a 3.5mm jack on either end, no reason at all for USB unless you need to charge, and there are hundreds of options for that.

17. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's a bit on the expensive side, but you do get the freedom of android with it...and not to forget, the audio quality is one of the best (Cowon and Sony are the best options in terms of audio quality IMO).