1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any Guitar players on here?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by RevengE, Feb 19, 2009.

1. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your sir, need more experience before you talk. End of discussion.

russianboy says thanks.
  2. Guitars I have owned since 1995 until today:
    1."NoName" acoustic nylon stringed guitar - my very first.
    2.Fender copy electric guitar, first electric one I ever had, cheap amp but powerfull. (Was stolen)
    3.Fender CG4E ("semi acoustic"?), Laney amp.
    4.Squier Telecaster, V-Amp2, Bottleneck by Dunlop, Capodaster. Same year I bought my first real guitar, a Pro-Martin Custom double humbucks, with various "split options", it was defective so they had to repair it first. I sold it for like 120 bucks, just to learn the lesson that it was sold on eBay for about 1500 (in dollars)..

The guitar I have today is a simple SX guitar, steelstrings. I still play when I have nothing else to do..

(The Pro-Martin was a guitar that also made a bass guitar once, used by the singer in "Video killed the radio star", that's why it was sold so expensive on eBay).

3. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    LOL wow that sucks man..what effects pedal do you guys recommend? I like heavy distortion etc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I don't. It's not the end of discussion. You've yet to provide any information why solid state are better. You really show no clue of having any idea what you are talking about whatsoever. You're likely the kind of guy who uses the horribly overpower, under-toned class H Crate solid state amplifier with a Behringer V-Amp thinking his digital tone is the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyone with any kind of electronics knowledge whatsoever knows that solid state electronics are less fragile, but harder to repair than a tube amp. Not only that, but the fact many solid state amps try to emulate tubes in the first place (and fail miserably) should give away which is the superior type.

Tubes produce a warmer, more cutting tone, hence why 99.5% of all professional musicians use them.

That's why they cost more. Higher quality sound. They're actually cheaper and easier to manufacture in most applications. Look at the innards of a Pignose G40V (great cheap starter amp) compared to a single channel Crate solid state. The simplicity of tube amps works wonders.

Basic physics and personal experience prove that tube amps are generally superior to their solid state counterparts in cutting through a live mix or in the studio, and that the way tube amps produce volume includes harmonics and frequencies that solid states leave out, which gives a higher perceived volume.

That's why I never had to mic up my 40 watt tube amp when playing with my friend who had a Fender "Metalhead"

http://www.epinions.com/review/Fender_Mh_500_Metalhead_Guitar_Amplifier_Head/content_315146800772

550W amp.
    That means it is twice as loud as a 55w amp.

The way wattage on guitar amps works, is that an amp with 10x the wattage is capable of producing 100% more volume, measured in db.

That would mean my 40w tube amp would be nowhere near as loud.

I've used tube and solid state alike. I can tell you, anyone who coerces you into playing solid state has never attempted to make a professional sounding recording or ever looked at the setups of anyone who has.

Find me an artist who uses solid state power section amps for their guitars, besides Dimebag, who had notoriously bad live tone and a tinny, thin studio tone, and I'll accept defeat. Until then, every studio professional, knowledgeable gigging musician, and physicist will insist tubes are the way to go for professional quality guitar amplification.

musicianforums.com, ask in the guitar section there, they will provide you with much more detailed information as to why tube is the way to go.

"Solid-state Amps: These amps are called solid-state because they use transistors for their preamp and power sections instead of tubes. They are very reliable and seldom need repairs. They often have a very clean tone, although many come with "distortion" channels also. These amps are popular with players looking for a sturdy, reliable touring amp.

Tube Amps: Tube amps preferred by many guitarists for their warm, fat tone and "organic" distortion. Tube amps usually sound louder than solid-state amps of the same wattage and have a definite "feel" that you don't get from solid-state amps. Most tube amps have separate channels that can switch from clean to distorted tones instantly. Tube performance can deteriorate over time, so tubes need changing occasionally."

From the guitar amp buying guide.

Hybrid and modeling amps are also covered, but rarely, if ever coming close, as a clipping solid state power amplifier 99/100 times sounds like someone farting into a microphone, whereas the original sound of distortion in music came from jabbing pencils in speaker cones and clipping tube power amps - see the warm, syrupy tones of the early electric guitar bluesmen.

I used to have a modeling Vox amp and a solid state Randall, as well as an old solid state Fender Bassman among many others, now I use tubes exclusively, with my best recommendations for an overall versatile amp being Ashdown and Genz Benz (English and American made respectively, both are quite cheap for the quality).

Go play a Marshall MG half stack (hated by all intelligent musiciankind, except by Zakk Wylde, but he is mocked by many musicians for his remarks calling the tinny, thin overdrive "crushing") next to a JCM800 and tell me solid state are the better buy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-841546.html

For teh lulz

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still play although all I have is my acoustic. Im looking for a electric. Something metal like my Jackson soloist. I miss that guitar a lot.

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey man I don't know jack about music but Ill tell you one thing. PP Mguire dresses like a girl and is straight. Any dude that can pull that off ether is hung better than John Holmes or can play the hell out of a guitar. Since Iv seen a picture of him playing guitar with his pops it leads me to believe he's an awesome guitarist. I mean he HAS to be. He dresses like a girl for g-d sake.

7. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hahahah thats awesome. Also who cares about solid state or tubes I mean come on if it doesnt go to 11 gtfo

[​IMG]

8. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    LOL mailman you make me laugh sometimes. Hahaha

9. I have owned several effect pedals, some better than the other.. However, I liked the V-Amp because it had so many effects. Only good tip I can give is : Try before you buy.

10. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol. Tube fanboy.

11. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here, ill end it now. Ive mentioned many times what i play, and also put a link to my Youtube which has the TUBE amp im using. Which for fucks sake is a reworked 1986 Randall RGT100ES which is the same fucking amp Dime got started on. I dont have to prove to anybody wtf i know, nor do i have to prove to a know it all wanabe that i know better than said person. Ive played on countless guitars and guitar setups and worked with many pros in the business. If you will sit here and tell me that tubes dont make a difference in your tone then your a fucking n00b end of story. Not once did i say that EITHER type of amp was better. Get your shit straight. Its all in personal preference. kthanxbye

12. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    I didn't realize everyone would get so worked up over something as simple as tube amps vs solid state amps. While i personally like the sound of a tube amp i see this as more of a red vs blue fight here.

PS: go blue ;)

13. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its completely useless, this guy is arguing to argue. Nobody gives a damn about his 40watt tube amp as much as nobody gives a damn about my Randall. Hes trying to throw around testicles he dosent have. I learned from my father thats been in the music business over 40 years now who also happens to have 2 degrees in electronics. Nobody can throw around balls unless you have the experience. With him teaching me and with my been there done that status, id say i have the experience. I also have extensive experience in PA and that side of the coin. Music is what ive known all my life. I tend to hate know it all's like this asscrack here.

russianboy says thanks.
  14. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Hey i care about both his 40 watt tube amp and your randall. Both excellent pieces of hardware.

Personally i want http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/412H-BK.aspx and http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/333XL.aspx

which are really peavey jsx knock offs that cost half as much.

15. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem though, is the point he argues is based solely on personal preference.
    If it was up to me id have a 2grand Bogner Ubershall but instead i make do with what i have. Going from my old POS Sovtek tubes to my Groove Tubes made all the difference.

That amp looks top notch. Never heard of them though.

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I take the bass player's mentalitly of not giving a shit. :laugh:

17. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Yea i didn't hear about them until recently either. Apparently they're a sister company of peavey or something (which explains why it looks very similar to the jsx). I got to play with it in a store and it sounded amazing. After a bit of research online it has a pretty strong reputation with the people who have it.

Bass players need that mentality. Who gives a shit about bass players ;)

18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :cry: ...but yeah. lol.

19. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I give a shit about bass players. Bass+Drums=your entire "foundation". Can't build a home without a good foundation of rhythm and meter.

Bugera is owned by Behringer. They make good amps from a sound quality stance, but be careful-their reliability is reported to be a hit and miss.

Don't get that 4x12 cabinet though, the speakers in it are sucky (most amp manufactures nowadays really cut corners on the speakers, especially on budget amps). I'd recommend an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with V30's. If you play metal, eminence Man-o-Wars are something you should check out as well. Here's the site for some really solid cabinets with speakers that will do the amp justice. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    Vader cabinets are good too.

Really man, don't take that cabinet.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    erocker says thanks.
  20. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Celetion Vintage 30s in my Crate cabs now. 8ohm

21. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not preference, but if your dad's knowledge on what produces good tone worked out so well, why is he not playing professionally or anything of the sorts?

Seriously, 99.9% of all studio producers and technicians will tell you that tube amplification is the way to go for quality sound. That's why 99.9% of artists use it in the studio.

It's not my preference, it's anyone who has ever layed down a quality, professional sounding track's preference.

22. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Again you fail at reading.

I never said tubes didn't make a difference in tone. I said they were superior in tone.

Also, Dime is shit, don't argue his point, just because he's dead doesn't change the fact he was a horribly mediocre guitar player.

23. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, just an honest understanding of the way studio recording/live shows go under my belt, I know what professional musicians use, how they get the tones they do, and why they work for them. I'm just arguing that case.

24. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I tell you what you are, someone that thinks they know what is best and that is the concrete law that everyone should agree with. Bottom line is that you can't prove what you are saying is true and neither can PP, it's all personal preference. So why not avoid the drama llama and potential infractions and leave it alone?

25. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quit contradicting yourself and GTFO already. I was just waiting for you to say that. :nutkick:
    If you can play better than him prove it.

One more thing, if you where anything you said you where, you wouldnt be trying to argue your point that is completely moot. Like i said before, you need more experience before you open your big contradicting mouth.

And finally, the reason he dosent play professionaly is because he is a professional sound engineer. Playing is his hobby not his job.