• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

any help w/ asrock dual sata 939?

Hydrashok

just bought this board on newegg oem... which i didn't know meant... you don't get any damn thing with it.. haven't tried to put it together yet... probably tonight but w/o driver cd i'm worried... already have to run out to radio shack to buy a sata cable for my hd... but i'd really like some advice on a driver cd... is there somewhere i can download an image file of it to make my own... or any other advice on how to make that happen?

thanx

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I replied to your post in another thread, either that or I need sleep.....bad, I assume you have started one of your own now LOL, its pasted below:

It will boot without the drivers, you just wont get "Cool N Quiet", AGP, SATA and LAN drivers but that will still get you into windows, you can then go to Asrocks site and download, here's the link:

http://www.asrock.com/support/downlo...=939Dual-SATA2

Hydrashok

ok... damn that's alot of drivers :)

now what i'm doing is this

i bought a 160 gb hitachi sata drive that i believe will run in sata 2... so i wanna give that a try. i'm gonna be putting that in right away in master... so no os preinstalled, which i understand is a good idea anyway.. because i've seen alot of posts where this board just rejects most attempts to run xp already installed on another drive. so i'm guessing i'm gonna need to make a driver cd w/ at least the sata driver... do i need to just download all of the drivers on that site and put them on a bootable cd? and do i wanna download the dos drivers i guess? i read a post where a guy setup his drive on ide then installed xp, then reset it to sata... but then i saw another post saying that it wouldn't work unless he starts it w/ sata first... then sets up xp.

i appreciate the input guys

zekrahminator

McLovin
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
download all the drivers you NEED, but don't do anything thats incompatible with anything else. For example, don't download the Windows XP 64 bit edition drivers if you're planning on running windows 2000 :p. And tatty, thats the same link that I posted :laugh:.

Hydrashok

lol ya same link... but it's broken if you click it :)

-so i just went thru and downloaded all the drivers for 64 chip... can they only be run thru windows? and should i download the dos or win ver. of bios? i'm guessing dos w/ a bootable cd.. also... any idea which bios i should grab.... looks confusing

i'll be installing amd athlon 64 3000+ venice chip

thanx

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
zekrahminator said:
download all the drivers you NEED, but don't do anything thats incompatible with anything else. For example, don't download the Windows XP 64 bit edition drivers if you're planning on running windows 2000 :p. And tatty, thats the same link that I posted :laugh:.

Lol I know, he asked the same question in someone elses thread earlier and I replied to him in that thread, he then started his own with the same question so I just pasted my previous reply in, call me lazy!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Hydrashok said:
lol ya same link... but it's broken if you click it :)

-so i just went thru and downloaded all the drivers for 64 chip... can they only be run thru windows? and should i download the dos or win ver. of bios? i'm guessing dos w/ a bootable cd.. also... any idea which bios i should grab.... looks confusing

i'll be installing amd athlon 64 3000+ venice chip

thanx

windows, BIOS will update thru windows no need anymore for boot disk, its much easier and has never failed for me.

Hydrashok

nice. so... i'm gonna have to install windows first before i install those drivers won't i? they look like win32 programs ... or will i be able to install them thru dos? i'm worried that it won't let my sata hard drive install windows w/o that sata driver installed... but i'm worried i can't install that driver w/o windows lol :laugh:

i remember my old 386... those were the simple days :)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Hydrashok said:
nice. so... i'm gonna have to install windows first before i install those drivers won't i? they look like win32 programs ... or will i be able to install them thru dos? i'm worried that it won't let my sata hard drive install windows w/o that sata driver installed... but i'm worried i can't install that driver w/o windows lol :laugh:

So why not connect as straight SATA, do the business, download then reboot to SATA 2, you need to get a little more advice on this as I am no expert in SATA2.

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
I have already forseen this problem and corrected it. I got all of the drivers I needed offline yesterday, so when it arrives friday I will be ready. I thought I shot myself in the foot when the damn driver page wouldn't open, but I finally found a like that worked.

EnglishLion

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Memory 2 x 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1066Mhz 6,6,6,18
Video Card(s) GeCube ATi X1950Pro 512Mb PCIe (Accelro X2)
Storage Samsung 320Gb SATA2
Display(s) Samsung SM206BW 20" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050
Case Coolermaster Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) On board AC'97
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580W
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores See my OC Blog @ http://www.rowan-house.net/
Everyhing will work without drivers, they just won't have all their features active. The bios will 'drive' all the hardware in it's basic mode. I's like when you install a graphics card, you can't install nvidia/ati drivers before the card as without the card you get no display. So you install the cad boot into windows and then install the drivers, then once the drivers are installed it will allow you to use 3D graphics, standby mode etc...

So, just intall all the hardware, turn on, go into the bios (the pre-intalled will be fine unil you're up and running and ready to start tweaking) set in the bios the settings that you're planning on using (agp or pcie etc). Then stick your windows cd in and install windows.

After this you should then be able to install all the driver as necessary. The drivers are windows drivers and so can only be run from windows. The bios update can be done through DOS or windows, windows is easier and works well - bios 1.80 is the latest and is good.

Hope all goes ell - enjoy.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Excellent advice, Lion :cool:. I guess I learned something today, I really didn't know that you could run stuff like AGP without the motherboard drivers...oh well.

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
Hydrashok said:

Go take a peek HERE you'll find Info and all the files needed to make your XP disc Into a Super XP Driver Disc....meaning any and all drivers you may need Including the SATA drivers of which you speak of.....all Installed during the Install with little or no actions from you. :)

Take It a step further and create a new "Unattended Install Disc" .....for the software and Instructions.....go HERE .....I redid my XP disc with Added drivers and Added "Auto Install" Programs like my Anti-Virul and protection softwares......Give It a go. :)

EnglishLion

Cooling Akasa EVO 120
zekrahminator said:
Excellent advice, Lion :cool:. I guess I learned something today, I really didn't know that you could run stuff like AGP without the motherboard drivers...oh well.

You can run an AGP card on this board with the bios set to PCI. Just don't try to break any 3dMark highs!

Hydrashok

hey thanks guys.... i'll have to give that a shot today... after i run to radioshack for a sata cable. btw i assume i'm looking for a sata 3.0 gb cable as opposed to a 1.5? i also assume that if i have trouble w/ sata 2.. i'll still be able to use the same cable for regular sata 1?

and a little off topic.. but i was thinking of installing windows media center. it works w/ normal hardware now right? i was under the impression that it had to have certain hardware.. any ideas?

:)

Hydrashok

:confused:

went to radio shack looking for a sata cable. they did have them.. but they all said 150 mb per second. now... i'm pretty sure my regular eide will run it at 150mb per second. now 150 mb/s isn't the same as 1.5Gb/s right?? either way... i need to see about finding the 3.0gb/s cable.. so meanwhile i'll probably just install the drive in a regular eide mode... does that mean i'm gonna have to reinstall windows when i do find that damn 300mb/s and/or 3.0Gb/s ?

and their not the same right??

i'd swear 1.5gb/s would be 1500 mb/s right?

ok thanks guys

Hydrashok

ok... after looking some more... answered my own question

anyone interested... an explanation of sata and sata is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

still need to know about windows media center

and

whether i would have to reinstall windows if i installed the drive using regular ata... or if i can still just use the sata driver and change bios later w/o windows reinstall....

thanks guys...

btw

i'm doing all of this crap so i can play Oblivion

man that sounds sad :shadedshu

EnglishLion

Cooling Akasa EVO 120
As I understand it switching between SATA and SATA2 is just a change in transfer speed and shouldn't effect your data on the disk. Most SATA2 drives have a jumper to set the mode to SATA or SATA2 and I know that at least one make will only run in SATA2 mode after being told to by a windows config utility. However, I've never personally used SATA2 so I wouldn't know for certain. I have a single SATA drive.
I don't think there are special cables for SATA2, just the standard SATA ones. With a hard drive the data cable is certainly not going to be a bottleneck!!

As for media centre, I built my own media centre for my lounge based on windows mce 2005. It can be run on any modern mobo, cpu, graphics card, memory as per windows but it is only compatible with certain TV tuner cards if you are planning on using the mce front end for tv. The tv tuner card's own bundled software will still work with any tv tuner. Compatible tv tuner cards usually have two drivers - one for using in windows and one for using in mce.

The spec of my media centre is in my sig. as you can see the hardware is not exactly modern, which is the point for me as it needs to be quiet.

Hydrashok

well from looking around... it does look like there are sata 2 cables that support 300 mb/s instead of just the 150 mb/s

but what i need to know is... if i go ahead and put this thing together.. and install the hard drive using a regular ole ata cable.. then go ahead and install win xp/media center.. then install the new bios and drivers... later when i do get myself a sata 2 cable... will i then have to re-install windows to get the system to reset to sata?

thanks guys

----damn you oblivion... and ur hold on me :respect:

Txguy

Need some help or advice trying to build my first computer....heres what i have ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board Running PCI-E with a Seagate SATAII 3.0 , Its just a single drive no raid stuff i have the connectors plugged properly Bios does see the HD but how should the Controllers be Under "IDE Configuration" you have...
Onboard IDE controller...set to what? I have Both
Onboard SATA controller...set to what?I have Enabled
Onboard SATA operation mode...set to what?I have Non-raid
Onboard SATAII Controller..set to what?I have Enabled
SATAII operation mode set to what? I have SATA
SATAII Driving..set to what? I have normal
I also have boot sequence set to Rom 1st...then HD 2nd? right?
Please keep in mind this is a single drive Non-Raid the user book say you do not need drivers for this setup?? so i saved everything it rebooted saying please put support media in or boot to proper device?? uhh how or what do i do to format? Sorry for noob questions as i am learning. Thx in advance

Hydrashok

sorry tx... haven't gotten that far yet.. although i hope someone answers ya because i feel like i'll be having the same problem

damn u pc's w/ ur ide/sata/sata2/mb-gb ratio/windows and not having drivers for this right off the bat so all i have to do is just put it together and install

everytime i think i know what i'm doing :nutkick:

-i guess i shouldn't complain until i give it a shot and then it :nutkick:

-i'm just waiting for a spare hour away from my kids to see if i can't go and fry 500 dollars 1 shot :)

EnglishLion

Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Txguy said:
Need some help or advice trying to build my first computer....heres what i have ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board Running PCI-E with a Seagate SATAII 3.0 , Its just a single drive no raid stuff i have the connectors plugged properly Bios does see the HD but how should the Controllers be Under "IDE Configuration" you have...
I also have boot sequence set to Rom 1st...then HD 2nd? right?
Please keep in mind this is a single drive Non-Raid the user book say you do not need drivers for this setup?? so i saved everything it rebooted saying please put support media in or boot to proper device?? uhh how or what do i do to format? Sorry for noob questions as i am learning. Thx in advance

This is your IDE connections - with your hdd on SATA, that just leaves your dvd/cd drives on the ide. If you've got them connected to primary set 'primary', secondary then set 'secondary' and if you've got so many drives that you need both then set 'both'.

This is the SATA1 controller, you're using SATA2 so you can disable this.

If you disable the above then this option should disappear.

This is correct

Again correct

Leave on 'normal' to start with

so i saved everything it rebooted saying please put support media in or boot to proper device??
Is there anything for it to boot from? If it's a new hdd then you need to format it and install windows (an operating system) on it for it to boot. You do this by putting the windows install CD in and booting from the CD - then following instructions and wait, wait and wait some more!:laugh:

Txguy

Thx for the reply...I got it to where Im not getting any posts now and it says please put support media in or boot from a different device so at this point i put WinXP in it starts loading up all kinds of drivers i thinking cool.....then it gets to the end and says it cant find any Hard disk Im like wtf.....any ideas?? Bios see's it and reads correctly. ?? i was reading around about others using a Win98 bootup disk just to get the HD to format?? i dunno any ideas....thx again