1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any real difference between i5 2500 and 2500K at stock specs?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vnhill1981, Dec 28, 2011.

1. vnhill1981

vnhill1981

Thanks Received:
    Bascially, I have a i2500 (non K version, no overclocking for me) on the way and am trying to pass the time "while waiting like a kid on Christmas Morning". I am upgrading from an Intel e2200 (along with a new motherboard) so I can't wait to see my new performance. Anyways, just wondering if both processors are ran at "stock settings" would the K version be the same as the Non-K version. For what it's worth, I picked up the Non-K version for $40 cheaper than the K version, which paid for the new Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 memory sticks I have coming. Again, I know that it really doesn't matter if there is any real difference, just trying to find something to do to pass the time.

2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    The only benefit to the 2500k is that it can be overclocked, if you don't plan on overclocking, they are exactly the same.

dude12564 says thanks.
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    No difference at stock. Do you have a P67 or Z68 board? You could still make the 3.7GHz Turbo a permanent overclock at least, and 3.8GHz is possible.

4. vnhill1981

vnhill1981

Thanks Received:
    Bought a ASUS P8Z68-M PRO to go along with it. Will the stock heatsink be OK with the CPU at 3.7GHz? Figured it would have to be as this is a "stock auction" from Intel (if that makes sense).

5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Should be fine as long as you don't touch the voltage, will be borderline, but fine.

6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, no difference as everyone else has said. Don't worry about the auto overclock overheating it. Intel might ship it with a crap stock cooler, but you can be sure that it's good enough to cool the CPU under the most extreme conditions - as long as you run it completely at stock.

7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    It would be OK but it would be very hot. I won't recommend doing it if you're using the stock heatsink.

8. vnhill1981

vnhill1981

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses. Not being so "computer literate", I plan on just installing everything and letting everything run stock. Hopefully all will go well as this is my first build/upgrade I've ever performed. Hence the reason I don't really want to get into overclocking. I just wanted to upgrade from my e2200 and I think there will be a night and day difference between that PSU and my new combination. I plan on using my Windows 7 upgrade disk to do a clean install, which only bites a little that I have to reload all of my programs, but luckily it's only about 15. I've already copied all of my "other files" to my USB flash drive and made 5 data disks with data that wouldn't fit on the flash drive. Should I make a set of back up disks, since I plan on doing a clean install. I figured I shouldn't have to. I read that I could help installation by already downloading the current drivers for the motherboard, but wouldn't they be erased during a clean install due to the HDD being formatted first. If this is the case it would probably be a waste of time. Thanks

9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The 2500 non-K actually has one advantage: all hardware virtualization features are present. Intel had the bright idea of removing some virtualization features from the K chips for whatever reason.

Other than that, 2500 = 2500K at stock in terms of raw performance.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a 2400 and the stock heatsink, I also have the turbo thingy active. My temps are fine, tbh i don't even check them that much. It will be fine with the stock heatsink, you don't need to spend more money for another one imo.

11. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, there's a K in the name. It stands for Kooler.

TL;DR? Get the Kooler version

seriously though, no difference.