1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any suggestions for getting my HDTV to work using HDMI-DVI ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Raizy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Raizy New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.osnews.com/story/18375/Review:_iLO_LCT32HA36_HDTV/

TV: Ilo 32" HDTV, native res is 1366 x 768

Video card: XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512mb

Okay, when I use VGA it works but the resolution is stuck at 1024 x 768. I want to use 1366 x 768 and maybe even higher. I bought an HDMI to DVI cable so I hooked up the cable's DVI end to my video card, then the HDMI end into the TV. I turn the computer on, it shows the boot screen and windows loading at 1280 x 720 resolution. Then as soon as it enters windows desktop, my TV is all blue and at the top right corner it says "Not supported"

Is there more to using HDMI-DVI than simply hooking up the cables?

Other details: I tried to set the resolution to 1280 x 720 using an old monitor then switching back to the HDTV and it still wouldn't work. Do I have to make a custom resolution? I'm scared of doing that though, I might damage it.
  2. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, you can check to see if the TV is set on automatic picture format....

question? when you boot, is the picture you get 4:3 ?
    If yes, then your settings are in 4:3 mode for HDMI, and you must:-

press Menu, and go to screen settings (while in HDMI mode), then set everything to auto.... If this works then you can try changing a few options until you get the result you want.

:cool:
  3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    you mostly likely need to check the settings on both your computer and your tv.. refer to your tv's manual and it'll probably tell you what it supports from pc input.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You have to change the option for the TV in the Nvidia control panel.
  5. Raizy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, here is what I did so it could display 1080i (Should be 720p, but whatever...)

Hook up a VGA Monitor on the first dvi port, then hook up the HDTV on the second dvi port. The only way I can get the display to show 1080i on my HDTV is by using clone screen. I can remove the monitor now and use the HDTV normally, but the problem is the desktop screen is about half an inch bigger than what my TV can display. The auto-set on the TV's menu only works when I'm in VGA mode, so no luck there... I tried all the "Flat Panel Scaling" options in Nvidia control panel, but all of four of them either shows the screen take up like 40% of my total screen, or it's back to normal (half an inch bigger than my actual screen.)

Even if I set 1024 x 768, which works flawlessly when using VGA, the desktop screen is still half an inch bigger.

yeah, I tried this aswell. The "Force television detection" option. I put the setting on, and I could never see my desktop after boot even if I used a normal CRT monitor. I had to go into safemode and system restore.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008