1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any suggestions for good online file storage?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jimmy 2004, May 22, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone on TPU know of any good site for free online file storage? I'm not using it for illegal stuff (if I was I'd use P2P) but I'd like to be able to share the videos I take on my phone with friends and family, and as my phone can do 640x480 pixels this can end up with quite big files even for a couple of minutes of film. Most people won't be able to receive 50MB attachments (and I'm not sure I can send them) so this seems like the best alternative.

I want something simple, something free, something that lets other people view/download the files without needing to register but I don't want them to be easily accessible (so either password protected or hard-to-guess URLs) and I want to be able to manage which files people can download (ie delete the old ones). It has to have big limits (at least a GB) and preferably no restrictions on the size of individual files you can upload. AOL has one called xdrive which seems ok, but you have to give out your phone number and address (which I'd rather not) and the best I've found so far is Omnidrive. My ISP does give me some FTP space but this is only 15MB or so, not too great really.

Any recommendations?
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Get a cheapo computer and make your own ftp server :p
  3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So people can download files from my PC at an amazing 50KB/s? I don't think so :rolleyes:

If I had a fast upload on my net connection then maybe...
  4. vivanco

vivanco New Member

Thanks Received:
    i guess you need http://www.rapidshare.com/

files that you upload wont be accessible unless you give the url to the person

and it's also free to upload, but after your first download you have to wait an hour to download the second one unless you use premium account.
  5. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So does that let me manage the files I've uploaded with a free account? I did take a look there but I couldn't work out if that was possible or not. Thanks for the recommendation btw.
  6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
  7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That looks like what I'm after, thanks frogger.

I'll check it out tomorrow but it all looks ok from a quick glance. :toast:
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Are you currently an AOL member? If so you could use Xdrive. I think for AOL members they give 50GB, non-AOL members 4GB. They have an online drive manager or you can get the windows desktop client and attach it like an NAS type of deal.
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i wanted to suggest get your own dedicated server, until i found out you had "free" as requirement ;)

check if you can find a free webhost that allows you to use htaccess files to enable directory indices
  10. vivanco

vivanco New Member

Thanks Received:
    it doesn't let you manage with a free account