1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

any use for this system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phxprovost, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I have an old p1 system with like 168MB ram, a ~7GB hdd and some ancient gfx card. Aside from playing old games on it * i hardly ever touch my steam list, i cant imagine ill even sit down to play old favorites :(* is there any use for this system? im not looking to spend any money on it, if i could find some purpose for it i would be glad but i cant think of a single thing to do with it. should i just banish it to the garage to never be seen again? :confused:
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Id donate it to a local cause (charity, afterschool program, etc) or send it to the recycler.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I could remotely suggest would be an NES/SEGA Rom box. Even that would still be pretty slow and hard to sit through the 3 min boot up just to play Mario 3.
  4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seeing as how we're both from the same state I'd suggest you banish it to the hazmat recycling events. (That's for Delco but I know they have others in other counties.)

Usually I grab the magnet(s) out of the HDD, use the rest of the HDD to make an angle grinder and harvest all the heatsinks and (working) fans out of the PC. I also keep the cases if they're flat sheet metal for obvious reasons. (If you have no use for the magnets you can usually donate them to high school physics classes.)

The thing about (very very) old computers is that even if you find a use for them they're probably not worth the cost in power to run. At least that's my opinion.
  5. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Last time i did this the platter shattered in my hand and damn near cut the tip of my finger off :banghead:
    thats what i was thinking :(, guess ill just find somewhere to recycle it

i would, but its so slow and outdated and loud and power sucking, i would rather just donate my atom box to someone who needs it
  6. adcx64 New Member

Thanks Received:
    turn it into a really slow server? should be a fun project......