1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

any way around vysnc?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by iamajunky, Jul 21, 2008.

1. iamajunky

iamajunky

Thanks Received:
    I got a dell 3070wp and I am a gamer but I don't necessarily play my games at 2560x1600 I was wondering if there is an alternative way around vysnc because with out it my screen like skips and stuff. This was my first ever LCD monitor and I bought mainly for movies, because I use it to watch movies and watch tv on my pc. I hate using vysnce because it dramactically lowers my performance in games. Is there a way to fix that? Does that have to do with the refresh rate?

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I mean, vsync is designed for that specific purpose, to prevent the tearing. It shouldn't really limit you much more than your refresh rate, which should be plenty fast enough to have everything seem smooth.

3. iamajunky

iamajunky

Thanks Received:
    my refresh rate is 60, because i'll be playing a game getting like 72 with vysnc on then I turn it on and it drops to like 30 or 40, that's fps

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I guess it doesn't work that way all the time, 60fps should be where it limits you too theoretically, but this is not always the case. You pretty much have to decide if tearing or fps is more important.

5. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Try turn on triple buffering in the drivers which should improve performance but what games are you playing ? supreme commander by any chance because that hates vsync and also there should be an option in CCC to turn off vsync if you like.

6. iamajunky

iamajunky

Thanks Received:
    fear, bioshock, assasin's creed are the main ones right now