1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any way to fix this 8800gt?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Nick259, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I changed to cooler on an 8800gt and when I plugged it back in it came up with lines on the screen and lots of symbols in squares followed by a lock-up. I had a look and some of the thermal paste had gone on some of the connectors however I used ic diamond which is supposed to be non conductive. Has the thermal paste problem broken it and is it fixable?
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Im going to state the obvious and say remove all the TIM and reapply...
    Nick259 says thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Adding to this post; depending on the cooler used it is possible that putting the cooler on too tight will cause damage also. A reseat & reapply should do.
    caleb and Nick259 say thanks.
  4. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Ok i've tried both of those suggestions and it hasn't worked. Any others?
  5. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Well known issue with G92 cards.

You'll need to bake it (yes, as in putting it in the oven.) Do some google searches, there's plenty of threads out there detailing the process needed to fix the issue.
    Nick259 says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it worked with the stock cooler, the aftermarket cooler isn't being installed correctly. Check to see if the cooler is touching any componentry on the card. Also make sure it's not on too tight. What cooler are you using?
    Nick259 says thanks.
  7. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I'm actually putting the stock cooler back on as i'm using the vortex neo that was on the gt on another card. I've tried fitting it in without the cooler too as it's not going to overheat in the 10 secs the pc is on for.

I've heard of that and i'll give it a try later.
  8. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    It's in the oven now i'll report back in 1hr after it's cooled down.

EDIT: So the plan is leave it in the oven for 10 mins, turn off over, let it sit in the oven for 30 mins then take it out and let it cool for 1hr or so before testing it out.
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    haha cant wait to see if this works or not. Hope it does though for your sake.
  12. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    390*F - 400*F, 10 minutes, pull out of oven and let sit for a while (at least an hour).
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  13. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Bonus points for cooking a hot pocket while cooking your video card
  14. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    It worked for mine.

btw, when baking remove everything such as fans, heatsinks, etc, from the card and clean any thermal grease from the gpu. also make sure the card is level and the gpu is facing up... i've seen ppl have their gpus drop off b/c they put it face down.
  15. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    I must agree again - I had a heavily overclocked 8800GTS - that was a REAL TROOPER - ran like a demon for almost 2 years (and I mean almost 60% overclocked) before it developed this problem.

I then Baked it at 210c for 10 minutes - and it worked just fine again!

So I overclocked it again... and it broke again... So I baked it AGAIN!

And blow me down if that didn't fix it a SECOND time! XD

Anyway it sounds crazy - but yeah baking them in an oven actually COULD fix that error on those cards - but find and read a GOOD tutorial on exactly how - if you do it wrong you can totally destroy the card - and give it a LONG LONG LONG time to cool down - many people just opened the oven door and whipped it out as the timer was done and the card warped horribly (and obviously destroyed itself) from the different components cooling at different speeds. (Yes I KNOW this didn't happen to everyone but lets all realize that the average ambient room temperature varies GREATLY around the world and not everyone lives in the same country :)

Once you have finished your bake - just turn the oven off - crack the oven door open a little bit and let it cool down nice and slowly.

Also if you have changed the STOCK cooling system - do some extra research - I believe part of how this method worked was something to do with the stock cooler pressing the chips onto the board and the heat re-soldering the contacts under the chips - one would remove all the PLASTIC from the card - but leave the metalwork of the cooler in place.

I heard of a guy who baked his with the metalwork removed, and his chips fell off the board when the solder melted - obviously this is a non-recoverable fault.

EDIT : xBruce88x : Yeah - I got here just before your post - but yep - that's why the tutorials I read said that if you have the stock factory cooler rather leave the actual heat sink ON and just remove all the plastic work, as the actual heat sink acts like a vice holding all the chips in place - And oddly enough all that heat seemed to improve my thermal bonds as the card actually ran 8c cooler on average after the first bake :)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
  17. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Now remember fellas when baking...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    freakshow says thanks.
  18. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, bake it. It works 100%. I saved a 8800GTX, a 8800GTS 512, and a 8800GT that way. Sold them all, and they still work today. Around 200°C 8-9min, then take out of the owen, dont leave it in. Let it rest till it cools down. Stick it in, and let it rock.

Oh, and pre-heat the owen.
  19. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    This thread is making me hungry.

Good luck with baking ti just right!
  20. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Guess I didn't read up right before putting it in the oven. I just had a quick look at a video on youtube and the guy had it gpu facing down so I copied that 200C for 9 mins and when I took it out 2 bits had fallen off of it lol. I'll try and solder them back on if I can get a soldering iron.
  21. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Oh damn.

Live an learn.
    Best of luck.
  22. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, ALWAYS bake with the GPU UP!. Otherwise you will follow this issue, bake too long and when the solder softens up gravity does it's job.