1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

any1 ever remove a backplate for cpu cooler?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hybrid_theory, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a replacement mobo, and im having trouble removing the xigmatek crossbow from the old one. It has a tape adhesive on it, and is proving quite strong. Any ideas on how i can do this?

2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I just ripped it off and cleaned the mess with alcohol. I wish I hadn't done that since it was a pain looking for a new one. Guess I was too eager to get if off!

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    WOW plz dont do this, you could rip the copper strips from the silicon or rip a resistor off, its best to use a heat gun or blow dryer at a safe distance to heat up the adhesive strips then they should come off good. i have see many people damage there board buy just pulling the bracket off.

Hybrid_theory says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Hehe! Yeah, you know how it is, when you get a new toy! :laugh: Eagerness often takes over reason. Like brandon said though, just take care, better be on the safe side of things. :)

5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Sage advise, when removing a black plate on my first p5q3 it was stuck down so hard I had to stick something under it and then lever it, foolishly used a flat head screwdriver and scratched straight through several copper tracks insta killing my mobo.

How ever I just coloured in the scratched area with black ball point pen and RMA'd it :laugh:

Now I use blue tack to hold the back plate on instead.

6. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i used a blow dryer, and it seemed to release the adhesive from the strips to the crossbow. so the adhesive is still on there. i did try a small flat head earlier ill admit. but this is going back to evga already and theres a bent cpu pin on it, so im gonna get a service charge anyway. should i keep trying to remove the adhesive for reuse? by another crossbow? or can i use the crossbow on the new mobo w/o the adhesive, just keep it there with the mounting screws?

7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Better put something to shield your board, you don't want a mishap. I used double sided tape to keep it on, I just traced it and cut it to the shape. Its better, cause now it goes off easier.

Hybrid_theory says thanks.
  8. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    LOL i had everything to build a PC except a backplate, so i used a bolt kit from another heatsink. needless to say i scratched the copper strips with the wrench i was using to tighten it down with. I used some conductive paint to kinda bandade it but later swore off using anything but a backplate and soft tools

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    lol! Its fun to hear such stories, I mean, I thought I was the only one doing stupid things! :laugh: I gotta admit its hard to swallow when you mess up expensive hardware.

10. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    yea this was a old 775 board (it didnt even support 45nm CPUS LOL) so it was on its way out anyway but needed it at the time for a friend. i ordered him a nicer board and rebuilt it and all was well.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unrelated the way I broke it, but I completely ruined a foxconn bloodrage within a week of having it once <_<

That was more than hard to swallow as I planed on negating ( to a degree)the cost of buying it by selling what I use now.

That was a very expensive mistake :laugh:

12. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I know how that feels, I remember a couple of years ago, when I first got my hands on an geforce 4, i broke a capacitor on it whilst putting it in the agp port. Needless to say, warranty didn't cover that. So instead of upgrading my ageing tnt2, I had to buy a brand new card for the guy. Harsh lessons when you're a kid, I eventually had to skip the entire generation and since I was broke, had to settle for a *cough* fx5200.

13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I feel for you man : [

For some reason I collected about 4 of those cards from old machines I couldn't repair and was quite upset at how bad they were:laugh:

14. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    soon as i can find some double sided tape, ill do that thanks

15. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup, I've taken one off.

It was like a sponge / foam material with a sticky side. When I wanted to remove it years later, the material had literally petrified into rock... thus proving impossible to physically pull it off.

I sawed through it with a steak knife.