1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anybody playing Path of Exile?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mindweaver, May 13, 2012.

1. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering who all is playing this and what do you think about it? So far, I like it.. just not better than D3. The hit system is a little off to me. Well hitting any thing that is on any edge of my screen.. and it takes forever to get any cool items.. but that's the free to play part i guess.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Bump! Nobody has played this game? So, far I'm loving it! Once I got use to the system. It will be full open beta june 1st. This past weekend was an open beta and if you donate 10 bucks you can keep playing the beta till it's over. You will also get a $10 credit in the game. At first I was worried I would have to keep spending money to enjoy the game, but everything is moving greatly.. I'm leveling up normaly.. I only got to play this game for 3 hours last night and I'm at level 8. This may be the first free to play game that i've played done right! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I've played it, I like it. The passive tree is impressive and really lets u do w/e u like with ur char, might even play a tank witch hahah! I didn't like the active skills system, though the gemming idea is awesome. The fact that you may use only 1-2 skill or 2-3 spells cause otherwise ur loosing efficiency makes is a spam game of the type of MU online or smthing like that... The item system is nice but needs some more balancing and the game difficulty is weird - mostly cause of the hit system not working well, as you mentioned.

Really good game overall, I will definately play it when it comes out. It looks like an evolution of Titanquest and D2 with some really exiting new elements (skill tree and gemming stuff..)

Mindweaver says thanks.
  4. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I tried the weekend's open beta. Pretty quality game for sure. For me though it's a tough choice between PoE and D3, and unfortunately D3 is released first. I hope it does well, I may check it out after it's been polished a bit

Mindweaver says thanks.
  5. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Yea that part almost killed it for me.. but I pushed through it.

Yea, I'm waiting for D3 myself.. I had forgotten about creating an account over at PoE, until you reminded me it was a free weekend. Thanks again :toast:

NinkobEi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i'm a supporter, it's a good game for sure. I will be back to it after some d3 time.

it is free to play, but never pay to win. it will only be cosmetic enhancements that get sold through the shop, so you can never buy an advantage. much more content will continue to be added.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  7. F2K New Member

Thanks Received:
    I played the game during the open weekend and I really love it. Game itself needs some polishing but the passive skill tree rocks. Will continue playing once I can make the purchase.

We could get together and party on the heavy bosses? :)

8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I played a decent amount around December of last year, and quite enjoyed it. Hit detection was (can't speak on how it is now) iffy for melee characters, but seemed good for ranged (they opened up the view distance because prior to that you could get hit by ranged mobs off-screen).

Ultimately, I grew out of it, but I could see myself looking into it again in the future, especially because it's free to play, and NOT pay to win.

9. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    I'll just necro this thread...

The game is out of closed beta stage. It has improved massively in the past year (I played the closed beta).

10. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Played all the way through closed beta, and intend to play all through open beta and all the way through release.
    I was a hardcore D2 player, for 4 years. D3 was a bitter disappointment from launch, wheres that PVP you say? Took long enough... and they messed up item rarity and stats extremely poorly, and buying item for 1000000000000000 gold is just ridiculous to me.
    PoE is everything I wanted D3 to be, but better. Passive skill tree is awesome and reminds me of HoM&M, and the races/classes are awesome. Lack of gold is excellent, no point in having worthless currency, why not use items to buy items, kinda like Stone of Jordan in D2.
    Would recommend, will be playing for the forseeable future.

11. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, it feels like a massive upgrade to D2 (which D3 should of been). The skill tree is what makes this game superb for me, there are so many combinations to choose from and you build the character the way you want to.
    I haven't got to act 3 which was added recently, but I can't wait to try it out.

12. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I like being a paladin that gets a skill like righteous shield and yet i can still cast ice bolt and do serious AOE damage. Not quite the original D2 Vengeance build!

13. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I've been in the beta for more than a year - the dev team is really excellent when it comes to making balance changes, really fast bugfixes, minimal downtime, great communication with the community, etc.

It is really deep and thoroughly fun. I've just started the open beta and can't wait to get to Act 3 (the brand new area in the game). They've already patched some bugs from launch yesterday.

14. hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

Thanks Received:
    Since a few months back (when i lost interest on D3), i was so looking forward to playing PoE
    and now that is out of closed beta, i no longer have the free time i used to as i did for D3 :cry:

PoE just looks so much fun :rockout:

15. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    me, WizzardTPU on the europe server

16. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Epic game, for me this is as interesting as D2 was ten years ago. I've been playing since last year in closed beta, the small team working on this game has done a massive and quality job...

EDIT: now that several people seem to be playing, I'd like to know if people with AMD 7000 gpus are experiencing bad frametime issues with this game (which can be seen by hitting F1), just cause this has been a hot topic lately...

17. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    ATI 6870 eats the game alive

18. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I will start to play it today,waited to be public beta,but was in beta for long time.Hope to see ya in game
    Started marauder class,invited wizzard in friend list, and if u want to add me> ArciksTPU < Europe gateway

19. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Atleast they made good thing disconnect after 5min or so if u are inactive,bots wont be the case here.And how i hate nolifers,there is no way normal player can ever beat em.

20. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    started playing this last weekend. Passed up a chance at an early beta key, just too much going on at the time, wishing I had had a little more time. I love the skill tree complexity. If you're stubborn enough, and have the ability to sort it out, you can almost manage to turn your Monster Barbarian into a spell-slinging Wand-er if you insist.
    I really like the potion/flask formula they're using, which keeps you from having to sweat quite so much about not having enough pots to make it thru waves of mobs. Those are the EASY battles. The hard ones are where the boss doesn't have any adds, and you have to make it thru with just 5 different flasks.
    The Gem-leveling, and no penalty for removing/resocketing is fun and different. I'm still trying to figure out the vendor/barter system, and the temptation to over-play with the magic orbs (damn, there's just no right way to say that...) instead of saving them for your higher level gear is annoying as crap heheh. Overall, I'm enjoying the heck out of the game. Skyrim's not been able to call me back, nor has TL2 so far.
    Overall, if they can manage to do something about the spammers like auto-mutes, and maybe a profanity filter (sorry, younger daughter in the house), it's one I'll keep installed for a long while, I think.

21. CK011885

Thanks Received:
    Great game, I have a 79 Witch/Necro and 67 Templar/Tank both in Hardcore. Ajido is my ingame name if anyone wants to add me or needs help with anything.

PS: Is there anyway to prevent Fullscreen mode from minimizing if a window outside the game pops up? Fullscreen runs sooo much better than Fullscreen Windowed.

22. demeryt

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I've been playing it a lot for the last 13 months or so.
    I grinded up to 81 with one char and still did not hit the END Endgame maps...

Then I rerolled and I'm levelling my 2nd (3rd, 4th, 8th?) char. Awww, this is the first game in this genre that I've played that makes me try new builds over and over and over again. And then I don't have time to "finish" the old ones. So many options!

Like a crti-based Cyclone dagger melee, triggering 2x Ethrereal knives on critical hit, spamming the screen with a gazzilion of projectiles and making everything die (along with my graphics card).
    Or a tank shield build usingmechanics that makes you regenerate the shield in an insanely rapid fashion - the more hits you receive the faster you regenerate. Unkillable.
    Or simply a summoner, let them zombies mow through everything while you chomp on a tuna sandwich.

Fun times, really an awesome game :)

NinkobEi says thanks.
  23. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I really enjoyed the frost/crit-based shadow caster. Only made it to the mid 40s with him but man it was fun to chain crit and watch monsters explode

24. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I've played it a fair bit, my main issue is that it seems incredibly easy

25. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Are you joking?
    I got a level 66 flicker striker and doing maps and end game bosses on merciless is ridiculously hard.

If you're implying that normal mode is easy, I think that's the point.