1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone else feel there's something missing from today's games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by a_ump, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Is that a game that looks like God of War clone? If so, nope I wouldn't want to play it.
    Console button mashing or pc clickfest games don't appeal to me. The only great game with button mashing is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, the moment when Ocelot tortures Snake and you have to regain HP.

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think the only thing I really noticed is that since about 2007, AAA games really haven't been very adventurous. Excepting Watch Dogs which is still in the works, there's really no big, new IPs from any of the massive publishers. It's just been sequel after sequel after sequel. Indie is filling that void (e.g. Godus, Star Citizen, S.P.A.Z., FTL: Faster Than Light, etc.) though so it's all good.

That debuted in Metal Gear Solid (1998).

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Call me anything you want but Tetris is on my top 10 for sure.

4. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    games like movies are making too much buck$ in two weeks ,it s like us-banks they put so much money that they can not fail ...
    but not all games or movie make buck$ ; in france only 1 out of 10 movies earns more than its "price" [ there are plenty of taxes , even hard-drive....that pays this shit , some are like in las-vegas ]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    This!!! I'm big on story and stuff too. There has to be something to make me give a shit about the characters, their story, or something. I wanna know why I'm doing what I'm doing and for there to be some kinda emotions got from it in order for me to drop a lot of money on it.

Which brings me to the next point. Games should NOT have to be financial decisions. They should be impulse buys. 60 bucks on a game is NOT an impulse buy. 5 dollars or less is. You shouldn't have to make some complicated ordeal of choosing a game. The games that are pricey like that are pirated while the cheap 5 dollar steam games are successful.

Blue-Knight says thanks.
  6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Yes. A few things are missing. Game length, depth, no sense of challenge. Heck most games these days are sequels or reboots.

Indie gaming is thriving because they are the only ones with original ideas!

Blue-Knight says thanks.
  7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Because it ran on every machine i put it on. And it looked awesome on awesome machines and it ran fast on slow machines. Thats why I like it. Now its a quest to make a game that is average looking unrunnable on modern machines (BF4 anyone?).

8. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Achievements annoy the hell out of me. To the people that say "If you don't like them, just ignore them", I respond "That's wasted Dev time that could have been used to actually play-test and de-bug some of this mess, or even improve some of the aspects that everyone uses".

james888 says thanks.
    5 Million points folded for TPU
  9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Exactly the point I raised with one of the devs in the KS campaign, asking for a shout-out to the Elite KS campaign when Star Citizen had finished. He completely agreed with me that the genre had everything owed to Elite :)

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ninja Gaiden 1 for the NES makes Battletoads seem like a Barbie Adventure. You guys need to fire up some of those old games and play them again. I think you are looking at the past with rose colored glasses.

11. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I miss the attention to detail; like in Wasteland you had to call up the ranger station with your radio and crap - back then RPGs were firmly grounded in P&P games, and cRPGs were just an extension to that so they did all the things that a P&P RPG and a DM would do, but with graphics and sound.

12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is not just the company's at fault here

They could of released a xpac for GR or RvS every year and yes people would of loved it but UBI & Co don't want repayable games on the market. Lets face it COD is nothing what it used to be that lost it's soul in no time.

Games have just become more console style which was not what PC games were about as they were wider in options and costs company's like ubi to make a good game with COOP.

In the end company's will always take the easy route and the cheapest and people will complain. And now the XBOX1 and PS4 are out expect even more not so PC games or maybe that will change now being the consoles are much a like but you think they will want to spend the extra to make it better for PC i don't think so.

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It's a mixed bag really. Some games now just prioritize graphics, over the top cinematic scenes, QTE combat, friending, and achievements that aren't particularly difficult. Many have very little replay value. Stories, story telling and voice acting is also weak in a lot of games.

One of the games that came out in the last year that is still drawing lots of debate is TR 2013. I mean what a drastic change from the old formula, it's so dumbed down. Tombs are wimpy, no challenge mentally or physically. Platforming is all highlighted and easy to find and negotiate the path. No challenging boss fights to speak of. Not much variety or challenge with enemies, there's a few with shields and some you use the climbing axe on.

Look what CoD has become, or Ghost Recon. Look what Medal of Honor devolved into before it was canned permanently. Look what Red Faction became before it was canned. Look how bad GRID 2 was after waiting WAY too long for them to make a sequel. Look at the disaster Aliens: CM was after all the hype. Look how horrible the RE franchise has become. NFS since being taken over by Criterion has gone south too. BF4's sp is also a let down, IMO BF3 sp was a lot better.

It's not all bad though, there are still some shining examples of games that CAN breath new life into a series. Some of the sequels I've enjoyed recently are, Max Payne 3, Hitman Absolution, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 2&3, Bioshock Infinite, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Far Cry 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, and AC IV. Pretty much for every series that's deteriorated, there's one that's still going strong, and there's some strong new contenders, like Sleeping Dogs.

Technically though, game coding needs to improve. Too many devs are still cranking out unpolished train wrecks that stutter, largely due to the overuse of the Unreal Engine.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thing is all the people the supporters of 1st Ghost Recon the massive user base and all UBI had to do if give it better graphics and not the crap they came up with so many time's which why it failed.

All so UBI got it in there heads that none scripted AI was always better too which to agree it can be but most of the time it's not.. HAIL BIS for not taking that away from ARMA..

15. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Games are too realistic now. Too much near real life and too far from the game thing. Guys thaw days have the same feeling about gaming than I had long ago when I lost the pleasure when NÉS and SNES turned in high résolution crap.

Blue-Knight says thanks.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    People are paying money for unfinished games. What is missing is the ethical developer who refuses to release his game before the large majority of bugs have been worked out and who won't rely on the consumer paying to have him fix those bugs through 'early access' schemes.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. The_Edster

The_Edster

Thanks Received:
    I thinks it's maybe because times have changed and we expect higher standards from games as we did 10 years ago, I kind of feel like the thing lacking is playing it for hours on end and not getting bored.

18. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Operation flashpoint was a great multiplayer game. It was flawed and the graphics sucked even when it came out but the community was stellar in the first few years, especially with ASE. Never played Arma however. OFP had so much detail. Talking to your tank gunner while you're the driver, and the commander is yelling frantically can be very immersive.

Trying to beat Coop missions was fun as well. Lots of teamwork.

Multiplayer is all about the community, tribes and OFP had the best jmho.

19. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I feel that most games today have the issue of not doing anything new. I will never buy a multiplayer FPS game because I already have PS2(for massive scale), Blacklight: Retribution(12 on 12 action) and Cube2(Old school action). I will not buy another racing game unless it's a lot better than NFS:World. I will never buy a GTA game because I have SR3 and 4. I don't want an action RPG I have Tera. Truly the only thing I haven't played yet is a game where great vehicle physics meets great selection of vehicles meets fully destructible environment(Red:Faction style) meets great customization(NFS prostreet for vehicles and SR3/4 for character) and story(Don't know a good example since I don't play many story driven games excluding Pokemon). If that was a game I'd be blow away by how awesome it is and declare it game of the decade because that's what happened when I got SR3(played 140+ hours). Until SR3 the only sandbox game game I played were the GTAs and I honestly didn't find them that intresting because they didn't allow for moments of over the top Epicness like Saint Row 3 did. The only thing I can image that can top SR3 in epicness is the ability to go into a city and level the place by setting of a chain reaction of buildings collapsing onto each other and not some scripted event because anyone can set those off.

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I take it you were young back then? That play a HUGE part in how you look at things, obviously. I honestly don't understand what you mean. Yes I still think Heroes of Might and Magic 2 is one of the prettiest games ever made, and Super Mario Bros 3 is also beautiful in it's simplicity, but it's ... just graphics. THe problem is not good graphics (imagine a Jedi Knight game made with a modern engine), it's the other stuff. I assume one could make the argument that if there are fancy graphics to be had resources will automatically be spent on it instead of say writing. Good graphics could be a giant boon, but not without good design and more importantly (IMO) good writing.

How do you define an "unfinished" game? The last part I don't understand, aren't early access often pre ordering/kickstarter backer stuff? Or are you talking about the likes of Kerbal Space Program or Minecraft, which would not be possible without that "scheme" and are generally heralded as good things in a stagnant industry?

22. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    That's why I say I prefer old graphics less realistic. If I play games it's to forget a little about the reality of life. No need of high graphic with caracthers looking so realistic. I told about back then and I still own 4 NES and 3 SNES with a total of near 60 games. Oh and dont forget my Atari 2600 still in originalk box with manuals with 10 remote controllers and 63 games that I got. When I want PLAY it's PLAY not compare the game to reality.

23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I think Rhino clearly backed up his meaning by clarifying play testing and bug fixing is sub par anymore, which is true. A big part of finishing a game is not just creating and implementing content, but making sure the overall package actually works as it should, vs being rushed out the door on an unrealistic, publisher enforced deadline.

There are tons of varying opinions on types of games, but one thing that is more or less a universal gamer's code is wanting games to work properly.

24. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Not really. Graphics get more real but AI and physics are just lame like they were in the 90s. Even today in newest games you can get funny moments with weird enemy behavior or wrong collision animation. I noticed that even older games can have better AI than newer games.

25. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Hear, Hear. It's too bad Stardock went the way of the bigger dev teams. Doubt it? Look at Elemental. What a debacle. Now they're running their crap thru steam like the rest of the sheep.

I've backed several Kickstarter projects, and I'm enjoying quite a few of those as they establish that connection with the players, change based on input, and attempt to provide a quality product the best they can. I'm hopeful for the "Indie Developer" scene, even as that includes Roberts, and David Braben from Elite. They've shown that they're very much involved with the player base, and whether or not they implement specific suggestions, they stay very communicative with everyone.

*edit*

I do agree with you, Rhino, on the "early access" crap that you see from some developers, but I also very much appreciate the opportunity to get involved as a "beta tester" at that level. I got in on the WoW beta, and absolutely mentally relive that from time to time as a highly enjoyable time, even with all the bugs, roll-backs, etc. I guess I fall in with some of the "sheep", by backing some of these projects at a level that gets me beta access, instead of free beta testing (like ESO), but I am very much aware of it, and consciously make the decision to spend that money, based on what they show me up front. I guess I'm a little more trusting of "Joe's Development Garage" than say, oh, I don't know,.... EAUBISOFTKONAMININTENDO et al.... :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014