1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

anyone else with 1156 getting this??

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by overclocking101, Apr 7, 2011.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    if i tighten my heatsink to tight OR overclock a tad unstable I get this weird problem. it only allows me to use 2048mb out of 4096mb of ram! cpu-z detects all 4gb in dual channel mode, BUT windows or any other program only see's 2048mb?? even at POST it will only show 2048. im just wondering if others have this problem or not. i am using a backplate, and am using a venomous-x. I do not have the preassure screw tightend at all, in fact i can move the cooler with my hands it dont move easy but it will move (using this to show it isnt SUPER tight).
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is a relatively common issue that effects 1366 as well. The venom is known for bringing it out due to the high mounting force. I'm not positive if the issue is due to warping or the mounting digging into the circuit traces, but I have seen people fix this using little paper washers on the mounts which would imply to me there's some sort of shorting going on.
    overclocking101 says thanks.
  3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    paper on which side?? the back of the socket or the front??
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    If I recall I think the backplate. I did this to mine just as a precaution. Pretty sure the part you screw on from the front has a rubber washer.
    overclocking101 says thanks.
  5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    thnaks after work today ill give it a go
  6. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    still getting the same thing. my board has a full LOTES socket so it cant be a crappy foxconn socket issue. im stumped. it also happens if i oc and its a tad unstable. but it will do it at stock if the cooler is to tight so it cant be an OC issue

EDIT: took the cooler off, took the cpu out, put it back in, put the cooler back on but loose. now it seems to be forking for the moment but temps are shitty as hell. hoping to find a real fix to the problem
  7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Fine line between tightening it down too much vs loping off your memory. ;)
  8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    When I had this problem (using a Mega and Xig backplate combo) I actually had to loosen the Mega just a touch AND the screws that mount the motherboard to the chassis- the board was flexing I guess. Haven't had it resurface since.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    If the washers didn't do it it has to be flex. Unfortunately the only solution I can think of is another board or another cooler. It's very difficult to combat flexing issues like that without making some custom parts.