1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone ever have this problem with there ram

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by trt740, Apr 30, 2007.

1. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    When ever I change the voltage on my ram my cd rom /dvd drive is not Identified until I turn the power off and reset machine then it's fine unless I change the voltage again. This started once I put my new Gskill ram in my computer. This ram is a great overclocker but I don't think a voltage change should make it do this. It didn't do this with my old OCZ ram. I might rma it and try 2 new sticks.
  2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    thats very odd the only thing as far as overclocking and stuff that would usually cause something like that would be south bridge tweaking and pci clk
  3. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Okay I think I figured this out if I set the ram voltage to 2.3v and leave it alone I'm fine but if I run it at say at 2.0 or 2.1v rated voltage . It cause cdrom error. Also if I up the voltage to say 2.4v then I have to shut down and restart then it finds my cdrom and I'm fine unless I mess with the voltage again. I think this ram has a very slight problem might have to RMA it. This is getting old I hate trying to find the right makeup of parts that work together correctly. These are Micron D chips so the can take the voltage
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Okay check this out if I make my DVD drive the master and my hardrive the slave, since I only have 1 IDE channel and have only IDE drives at present, the problem goes away so it's not a ram problem after all. It's these drives my DVD drive doesn't want to play nice and wants to be dominant just like my wife LOL!!! All kidding aside I wonder if this will cause a performance hit.