1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone get buzzing from their Corsair PSU while it's off?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Studabaker, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    When my box is off it makes a buzzing noise from the new Corsair PSU. It's just a slight little noise that you have to get close to hear, it sounds like a little transformer. Power switch position doesn't matter, as soon as I plug the power in, it buzzes. It's plugged into a surge protector/power strip. Never had this happen before with a PSU. I'll gladly exchange it if I have to, of course. Just wondering.

2. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Strange :S Mine doesn't buzz on or off. I did have an old cheapo PSU which squeeled like a pig under load. Not really sure if you should replace it or not TBH.

Studabaker says thanks.
  3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    My Corsair shuts up when it's off, it's trained good. Doesn't make unusual noises when working, too.

4. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Provable it is buzzing also when the PC is ON you just can`t hear it because of other noice.
    And there is no definite answer. It could be nothing it could go 10 years or could fail in a month.
    Different experiences different answers.

Studabaker says thanks.
  5. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I'd just replace it just for peace of mind... just incase.

Studabaker says thanks.
  6. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess I might replace it... see this is why I buy everything at CompUSA :)

I'll wait to hear what the Corsair people have to say before doing that though.

7. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Shouldnt here buzzing, especially when switch is on off position, as that means there is no power going through the PSU.

Have you tried a different power cable?

8. lucasweir

lucasweir

Thanks Received:
    i hear a small buzz from mine under load, mostly my gpu though

Studabaker says thanks.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My Corsair vx450w made a faint humming/buzzing noise that was only ever so slightly, even un-noticibly audible until you got really close to the case. Still a solid psu.

Studabaker says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    my understanding is when capactitors are under extreme load they make a sound that is similar to buzzing. which isnt good, they pop quite easily

11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Your PSU is ok

You can still hear the buzz with the PSU switched off, because there's a VDR (voltage dependent resistor) across it, to reduce the amount of arcing when the switch is turned on or off - something cheap PSUs don't bother with. These work by allowing a small leakage current to continuously flow, which is making the noise and isn't anything to worry about.

This is the kind of thing where some PSUs may be quieter than others. Also, how much you hear it depends on how good your hearing is, PC case open or closed and the ambient noise level in the room.

Studabaker says thanks.
  12. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll take this into consideration. I'm still waiting to hear back from Corsair on the subject.

13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, that sounds like a plan. :)

For what it's worth, I tried switching my PC off just now and my PSU doesn't make any noise. It's an Antec Neo HE 550W.

14. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine has never made any sounds other than when it is on. That is odd. Hopefully they give you a good answer and not some BS

15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    +1 plus Plextor rant - you have been warned!

I'll second you on the BS angle. It's sad how many companies put monkeys in customer support, spouting crap.

When my Plextor 716a started playing up (well, it was picky from the off) Plextor's CS blamed the brand of discs put in it and recommended that I only ever use the Plextor branded ones. WTF? Plextors were renowned for being able to write to anything and often had the best write quality to boot, as well as those fantastic enthusiast features which were worth paying that heavy premium for.

No of course, they're just rebadged OEMs with no special features, still at three times the price of a regular drive. I don't know how they stay in business, I really don't.

My 716a has now long died and gone to that junkyard in the sky. Piece of crap. My older 712a lasted longer, but went the same way at about the same time. Only my 760a is now working, but I don't know for how much longer, as it's making funny noises at power-up.

Rant over, thanks for listening. :D