1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

anyone good with photoshoping?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by RevengE, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend a Nikon D40 or better, a Cannon EOS, or Sony Alpha A200 or better. I have a Sony A100, but I honestly prefer Nikon better.

Also, I agree with the others. That picture is to low of a resolution and quality to do anything really nice with, you should try again with another camera. Even a new point and shoot camera will be superior than the one you used to take that image.

2. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Okay Thanks for being helpful. :D

3. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I messed with it a bit. There isn't much detail to work with to do anything more advanced than trying to recover detail, reducing noise and enhancing contrast and brightness.

Attached Files:

RevengE says thanks.
  4. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Okay thanks for aleast trying. I'm going to go look at camera's here in a bit. I really would like to take photo's of random things and add a bit of creative/artsy feel to them.

5. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Definitely choose one of the camera lines I recommended than. They will allow you the most creative flexibility and image quality. DSLR optics are far superior to the P&S cameras that most people carry in their pockets.

6. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd recommend a D40 as they tend to run cheap, or equivalent as Thermo said; though I hasten to add that some of the newer "bridge" (Point&shoot cameras with DSLR settings) are 'adequate' as a beginner stage if you're new to f-stop and aperture etc.
    nothing like learning on the go though ;)
    also, photoshop IS the best thing to learn PS skills on..nothing I've used compares to how intuitive CS2/3/4 programs feel IMHO
    hope this helps despite merely echoing what you've heard before :)

7. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Okay thanks for the advice. Like I said im new to this, and am very thankful for the help! Thanks again.

8. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    What about Paintshop Pro? how is that?

9. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay as an alternative but definitely different - you'll find it a little complex should you ever change over.
    I use Painter X for my actual digital work though - PS is exactly that, more of a photo manip than a true 'digital art' app.
    even so, Painter is simple considered my CS2/3 background - it helps in most manip programs :)

RevengE says thanks.
  10. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    It isn't necessarily about the available settings, but the quality of the CCD and the glass that the optics are made from.

Don't have much experience with Corel Paintshop. Adobe Photoshop is best for a reason, but it comes with a hefty price tag. Photoshop scales well to the individual using it; beginners can pick up a lot of nifty tricks quickly, but it also provides near limitless opportunities for more skilled and creative individuals.

11. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Okay, sounds like I will look at Adobe.

12. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well aware thermo, but didn't want to spark a debate about whether Zeiss glass is truly worse than company-branded Zeiss or otherwise in the DSLRs (Sony use it in their DSLRs as well as everything down to entry-level in which case the sensor is the differing factor relevant to the price tag)

:)

13. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    There just isn't any way the lens elements in a P&S camera are equivalent to that in a DSLR. The optical arrangement just isn't equivalent. You could put a piece of excellent quality glass in a P&S camera, but the arrangement of the optics in a DSLR lens still allow for a better quality image, otherwise you would see every professional photographer carrying a Nikon Coolpix; it would be the photographers dream to have a light, compact camera, that produced the same quality of image as a bulky DSLR. You can argue whether a P&S is better for certain individuals, but DSLR will always be a superior camera for the time being.