1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone have problems running 480s in SLI?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by va4leo, Oct 8, 2010.

1. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am considering getting a second GTX480 to run in SLI. However, based on previous experience with GTX 285s in SLI I just wanted to check if anyone had any problems with this.

Basically, with my old SLI setup, crashing was frequent. I could have just entered a game, loaded a map, or been playing for hours and then a sudden crash. The screen went black, everything froze (audio etc) and I had to restart my PC. Some times i get that message that "nvlddmkm.sys stopped working and has sucessfully recovered".

This was even worse with the 256 drivers. I had to roll back to 196.21 before the crashing became less frequent.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with the 480s?

Many thanks in advance!

2. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    There are people that find trouble running 2 in a 1000W PSU

3. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I saw in hv43082's FS thread. it is interesting that nVidia would certify certain 1000w (even 950w) PSUs to run SLI in the SLI Zone -.-

I am taking that this would be enough to set off the nvlddmkm.sys stopped working nonsense?

4. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I ran 2x GTX260 sli before and have no bluescreens related to nvlddmkm.sys before.. must depend on each's setup.. not all of it are the same.. (OS, patches, background apps, bios, etc..). Lots of reasons for it.. else everyone with a gtx480 sli setup would be bitchin about it.

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    nvlddmkm.sys crashes are generally related to the drivers and not the cards themselves, if your PSU isn't sufficient enough to handle the cards, it would just shut itself off, but getting a second card should be fine and shouldn't cause any error.

Also as said, 1000w is a bit on the low side for that setup, as GF100's are some beastly and power hungry cards, running two of them in addition to an i7@ 4GHz, you're gonna need a quality PSU with a fair amount of more wattage.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    va4leo says thanks.
  6. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think i might hold off on two cards for awhile. :(

Will be getting the Artic Cooling Xtreme Plus...might render my card overclockable. We will see! Thanks everyone!