1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone have some good guides for setting up a home server?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by t_ski, Feb 10, 2011.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I had an HP MediaSmart and it was cool, but I did not like the proprietary hardware. I have built my own home server (mini ITX rig), but I'm looking for guides on how to set up media sharing (like an iTunes server), web server for external access, network backups, etc - all the things the MediaSmart did. Does anyone have any good guides they have used in the past? What kind of results did you get?

Server hardware:
    AMD Sempron 140
    2GB DDR3 (+2GB on its way)
    Zotac mini ITX
    4 x 1TB Seagate HDD (have two now, and two more ordered): Raid 5 array will be utilized
    Possibly adding a fifth drive for OS
    Lian Li PC-Q08
    Current OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, but I have Server 2003 available

Shared files:
    iTunes media
    downloaded files
    pictures
    some movies

Other computers on network:
    Main PC (in specs below with Windows 7 Ultimate)
    Two laptops (One Windows 7 Ultimate, one XP Home)
    Kids' PC (S775 XP machine)
    Samsung Internet connected TV and BD player

Network:
    Two Linksys gigabit + N routers (only one routing)
    Netgear Powerline adapters bringing data from router one to router two

Not needed:
    No DVR
    No torrents
    No domain

Goals:
    iTunes server
    Backup server
    External web site (+ RDP if possible)
    Data shares
    Behind the scenes for everyone else in the house
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    first of all, you're gunna need to state what you're sharing to, and what file types you want to share.
  3. adrianx New Member

Thanks Received:
    the simple guide...

the proiect

1)what is the scope of the proiect?/what must do for you?
    1.1)were will work, temperature?, ventilation?, internet connetion?
    1.2) from 1) you will have an ideea of the software that you will need (windows/linux)
    2)the budget ?
    3)the hardware components for this project (in this part you can add the parts that you all ready have)
    4)the skill need to work with the hardware components and the "skill" for software install and configure

this is not a perfect guide line... is for you (FREE) to have an ideea of what will must do...

also you must consider that if you are at start line with IT skills, it's best for you to NOT to try to make a ALL in one configuration (ex. router+server+nas+DRV... etc).

for that you write... a simple FREENAS configuration will be ok for you and simple

Mussels ... you think about share like.... torrents or seed box?
  4. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Updated. And Mussels knows: I'm not a noob.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    1./ Important Q. Is your W2K3 serial R2 or not. If you can install R2 then I would recommend you take a look at something called DFS Namespace and DFS Replication. It's a nice way of keep machines sync'ed.

2./ If you have W2K3 you could set up Active Directory and have very easy management and control over all your current machines, quick setup of new machines, and very powerful policy management, plus consistent machines whichever machine you log in to.

3./ You are not a noob, but are you happy to do 2? Windows server admin is a whole new playing field. If you are in a hurry and are not 100% familiar with it, then DONT TRY. If however you have time and are ready to learn... then give it a go. You will have fun

4./ I have recently found these two pieces of software SyncMan and Syncrify. http://web.synametrics.com/Syncrify.htm Take the time to ready through those 2 AMAZING products. I have only just found them in the last days, and just wish I had found them years ago. Free for non-commercial use

5./ Setting up an internet server on Windows is really easy. MS has a tool that will install IIS and also offer to install all kinds of opensource web products. Definitely recommend. I have a private vB 4.x forum that we use just for family communication: to do lists, homework, how-tos, address book, photos, grannygrandpa, etc. etc. You'll have a lot of fun setting one up

6./ Cobian backup

7./ COMODO antivirus (free on w2k3)
    t_ski says thanks.
  6. adrianx New Member

Thanks Received:
    so t_ski...

you have only one internet line correct?

one idea I all ready say Freenas...

the second is win7 with your software on it

the hdd...

for your pictures, movies and file, use 2 hdd in raid 1, (it's safe in this config).
    your file will be in 2 location on 2 different hdd. this is a solution for 2-3 years, but it's the best for home user.
    you can also set the backup location for the rest of the pc/device from your house

for the rest (movies, torrent files, seed, music) use 2 hdd in raid 0, it's ok even for 2-3 mkv file running on different pc/device. raid 0 will give you speed also, a better transfer rate.

for sharing you can use TONKY server...

for torrents... you have many variants :) but remember to set the correct bandwidth limit for the torrents

becouse this pc will be up ~24/24 hours this will be a good place for a wuala client :) (you can use this link for http://www.wuala.com/referral/JBK635CMG5H667J773CP . wuala will give you up to 20GB online storage space, this space is very secure and safe)

I hope that buy presenting wuala to you will be consider like spam or marketing (I dont work for wuala I'm only use it for the storage)

so why you use 2 routers?
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    t_ski says thanks.
  7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    First post updated with more info. I work IT in a large rural hospital, and I am very familiar with a domain, but I do not want one on the house. I would prefer something that is pretty much invisible to everyone else in the house, as they are not as tech savvy as I am.

I use two routers for several reasons, but mostly because it provides me with a four-port switch and a wireless N access point at each location. The main router in the basement wan't providing enough of a signal for my wife's laptop (wireless g) where she only uses it upstairs.

If you guys have some links to online guides you've used, please post them. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading on this.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. utnorris

Thanks Received:
    First choice would be Windows Home server. Your already familiar with it and you can just the software. Second would be FreeNas or another linux based NAS system like BSD or what not. Then you have your server OS, but if you are not well versed in it I would stay away from it. Lastly and probably one of the easiest is to toss W7 on the box and setup a network share. It's one of the nice things about W7, sharing is easy. If you need more power such as on the fly conversions then Twonky is pretty good as mentioned above.
    t_ski says thanks.