1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone having any issues with the 12.1 drivers?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by BlackOmega, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... As far as I know, CFX was working properly with 11.9's and FSO but I never did check GPU usage, but with 12.1's I have almost the same problem as you. I can load into the menu but when I try to start a campaign I get a black screen and have to end the process. I have not tried 12.1's with only 1 gpu enabled though. I will do some testing, though it will have to be tomorrow evening and get back to you.
  2. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I'll hunt for a download link to 11.9 and try running them with FSO in CFX on my end. Looking forward to your results.
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    12.1's work with only 1 GPU enabled just like yours. I'm downloading 11.9s but Im on my cell phone internet and its taking a while. Ill have results tomorrow.

Thought I had 11.9s already stored but I had 10.9s from my 4890 days...
  4. Locksmith

Locksmith New Member

Thanks Received:
    usin 4870x2 with 11.12, i did install 12.1 and had endless problems with BF3 and windows, freezes and messed up displays, so i put 11.12 back on and it all went away..
  5. AndrewBUD

AndrewBUD New Member

Thanks Received:
    12.1 drivers gave me horrible performance in CFX...... Lots of issues with playing video on LCD TV via HDMI

I have been using the 12.2 Preview drivers without any problem... Improved performance playing some newer titles....
  6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    11.9s allow me to play FSO with cfx enabled but I only get usage on my primary GPU. Tried 11.9cap4s and 12.1cap2s both the same thing. I'm also using a 120hz monitor and if I set it to 60 Hz I get noticeable stutter in FSO even with vsync locked at 60hz. When using 120hz its smooth as butter with no stutter.
  7. Locksmith

Locksmith New Member

Thanks Received:
    smooth as butter with no stutter.

Like it... ;)
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I dont have any issues in windows with the latest drivers, TBH there the best ive had in windows so far and i dont have BF3.

What other games have you tried and had issues with?
  9. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    This 12.1 driver makes me BSOD and i think it may have caused my power unit to give out but cant be shure. rando system locks in xfire mid game iv seen my cards lock up and display a shrunken image of the game i was playing but the colours are all messed up. system wont crash it just locks up. running 2x 5870 2 gb eyefinity 6 cards.
  10. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    12.1 w/ CAP2 running like butter on my 2x 6950s 2gb.

Games like BF3 completely maxed, metro 2033, witcher 2....etc all running super smooth and no crashes.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would try re-installing...maybe run a clean up in between install with like drivercleaner.
  12. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Spaceman Spiff, sorry for the much delayed reply; had some life stuff to take care of.

But yes, I can confirm as I tried myself a few hours ago. 11.9 catalysts render FSO just fine in CFX with no change whatsoever in the drivers post-installation - even with just the primary GPU showing usage.

12.2 pre-certified drivers however crash FSO upon heading into the Tech Room to trigger a craft render. I know we were testing against 12.1/12.2 previews, but since the pre-certified drivers came out (which are apparently showing as 12.3 in Afterburner) I figured why not.

A few followup notes:

• Upon installing 11.9s, I first tried running Blue Planet without installing the CAPs (12.1 #3), and then installed the CAPs, rebooted, and ran vanilla FS2 with MediaVPs 3.6.12. Both rendered without issue.
    • Neither the CAPless nor CAPped experiments worked with 12.2 Pre-certs.

My best guess as to the discrepancy is that OpenGL update that was integrated into an 11.N Catalyst sometime last year. I don't remember the specific version where it was updated, but it seems to be the only connection between a Catalyst that can do FSO just fine versus one 4 months later that can't.

Thanks for your assistance with this. I guess I'll just have to manually disable CFX whenever I want to fly FSO. The custom application profiles don't appear to work for me, even when I know I've set them properly...
  13. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    No issues 4 me(yet). Flashed cards lovin it.
  14. Belalim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this normal that one card "downclocks" by it self?

Ups wasnt suppose to reply in this thread;) Sorry

But any help/advice would appreaciated.

Again sorry for "stealing" the thread.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      70.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  15. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a bug, some of peoples clocks read 150/1250 when in idle, why you think there hasn't been an official release yet? too much bugs! :banghead:
  16. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    12.1s gave me issues for awhile, or so I thought, but have cleared up of late. Think was related to GPU OC.
  17. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Not a problem at all with them. Work great. Best ones yet.
  18. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    i dunno if its driver issues or what, but before driver update and previous bf3 patch i had no problems playing, i play on medium settings with avg of 70 fps, nowwww its the same fps with random fps drops, ill be flying a jet and all of a sudden watch fps crash to 12..no pun intended about crashing. crossfire enabled or disabled doesnt seem to help or hurt the random fps drops. also my computer hangs after the round ends im not sure if thats a punk buster thing or what its about a 30% chance the map will load without crashing the game.