1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone playing RUST?

Discussion in 'Games' started by WhiteNoise, Jan 1, 2014.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been playing on both PvE and PvP servers. It's nice just to hunt scavenge and build for the hell of it. The PvP is allright too.

2. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Not really. DayZ was still okay on empty servers, and even servers that had 50 people you'd rarely see people because of the size of the map. You're way more likely to see someone in Rust, especially because some of the server sizes are 200 slots. DayZ you scavenged and made your way around the map because you couldn't really setup much of a camp that couldn't be raided or found rather easily. There were vehicles to scavenge for, if you wanted something you can't craft it, you need to find it, and multiple buildings and towns to explore, even more in the Standalone because you can enter in 90% of buildings in all those little towns.

Not for everyone. There are some people who just want to build and scavenge, hence why there are PVE servers. I don't play this way, I kill people in opposition and in DayZ I'm kill on sight. However, there needs to be more for people who don't want to do this stuff. Maybe it's the fact that loot is so easy to get in this game. We setup on resource road and can gather easily 1k-2k in wood a run as well as various things from zombies. Sometimes you can get 1.5 runs in, 2 if you're lucky and quick, a day. I can craft everything I want now, don't have to scavenge for anything..so what's the point?

3. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Well for you I guess there might not be. For me though I am playing solo and it takes much longer to find things and build them. But the real fun is once I'm setup I can raid, get raided, there is always the chance of someone stealing all my loot forcing me to scavenge all over again.

On my server the pop is low but I already have some solo players and one group making a home there. The group has already threatend me with death on site. Puts me on my toes for sure.

I actually attempted to join them but they wouldn't have me. lol I look forward to having more people on my server so I can start doing night time raids.

This is the sort of game that allows you to create your own fun. I certainly understand your point though.

4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Playing now on the UnityRP server, just turned night so I logged out for the time being. Seems both my previous camps were destroyed with all the bullets and metal I had crafted in them. The joys of starting all over again...

EDIT: Just joined your server, I'll wait til daytime before I bother doing anything or attempting to find you.

5. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about the price tag, will keep an eye out for reduced pricing and try it out then :) Looks like fun, but I'm kinda picky about being a little more sure of a game before I spend on it (says the guy with 3 ships in Star Citizen rofl)

6. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I'm at work so you won't find me in game. I play in the evenings M-F PST and throughout the weekends as much as I can.

I can say that at this point you should be able to play completely grief free....for now. The guys playing on my server seem to be pretty cool. they chat up and seem friendly and helpful but they also claim that if I come near them they will shoot.

Thats not a problem though as I can't even find them. The map is so large.

My in game name is Chuck. So if you see me in chat then let me know and we can pool resources or if anything watch each others backs.

7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    How do we find a specific server to join in game?

8. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Easiest way is to get the IP and press F1 and type net.connect ip.ip.ip.ip:port

erocker says thanks.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    When this goes on sale I'm gonna pick this up. Sounds awesome.

10. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    They seem nice enough TBH, they said they were friendly "for now" but so far me and my friend have been playing grief free, and we've been helping out where we can. Both suited up in full Rad suits and got some M4 plans and all that jazz. About to start building a fortress, because our storage boxes are getting way full, and we're living out of two shacks.

11. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    What Guitarrassdeamor said but another way is just to click the name tab on the server list to put everything in order and then search for the name. But just using the ip address is the quickest.

Yeah thats pretty much what they told me as well. I do know they are somewhere on the west side of the map. I explored the entire east side and northern waste last night. i spent 9 hours exploring those areas. They are baren and don't even spawn resources at all.

I plan to look out west tonight because I want to find out where they are if I can. mainly so I can avoid them in the future. lol

They aren't too interested in fighting as they are most likely focussed on building their fortress and getting stocked up. I do know they claim to have MP5's now and not afraid to use them if need be. lol

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys sound like you REALLY NEED a Mailman running around in this world.

13. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    And a random murderer on your side...

14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    We do!

15. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Haha, ok, you convinced me to get the game.
    At some point this weekend, I'll log in to Steam, buy it, and post back in here.

16. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I hate spiked walls. You can't cut them down, every time you hit it with an axe you take damage. I cut myself off to a part of my base!!

17. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    haha erocker! My spiked walls killed me twice. shameful!

Sounds good Random Murderer!

I've almost talked one of my buddies into buying this tonight. I hope we are both on later this evening.

18. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    C4 would probably take them down.

19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Frag grenades do not. lol. Screw it, I'm building a new base across the street. This thing can be my booby-trapped storage barn.

20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    This is exactly why I will only go back and take Day Z and similar games seriously, when they add non perma death servers/options. I get that the perma death adds a layer and element of risk and subsequently thrill. Under normal circumstances, or a more controlled environment, that might be worth it.

Yet people on the internet playing games, are not actually facing real extinction and are not actually fighting to survive.

It's the same with games like Call of Duty. People rush and jump and hop across open fields while bullets stream by, because they aren't afraid. Death is merely an inconvenience. In real life, you'd be petrified - hell even people playing paint ball are scared to move from behind cover.
    Perma death is also merely an inconvenience, this is true, but it's one that is exacerbated and magnified because of the ill behavior of other people.

In his defense, him wanting to avoid a higher population and therefore avoid being interrupted by other people, is not only his choice, but given what his goals are, possibly a smart strategy.
    If developers do not want players to miss out on parts of their product, then they should ensure all parts of the product are readily available to the user without having to suffer at the hands of other people misbehaving. And if the community wants other people to try and experience all aspects, then they should try to ensure they behave properly and not drive players away.

Communal law, street justice, self-policing whatever you want to call it, can work, but it requires that all people who partake, believe in the underlying principle and fear the repercussions of not following it.

Dudes on the internet however, believe in no such code nor do they face any consequences.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Ahhzz and Guitarrassdeamor say thanks.
  21. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Meh our fortress is done for now, and we have fully upgraded P250's MP5's and M4's. We hunt twice a day for black zombies to try and get the bolt action rifle blueprint, we already have every single other blueprint at least twice -_-. I think if anyone tried to take us on they'd be bitterly disappointed at the outcome.

There's a guy called TheBat! who seems a good fellow, we gave him some blueprints and a P250 with a flashlight and some food. He was obliviously mining while two men armed to the teeth ran at him and showered him with gifts.

22. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    LOL

As of now I'm just building my fortress and collecting resources. By myself its much slower going as I still don't have nearly all blue prints. But I have tons of resources stock piled. I'm not bothering anyone yet but do look forward to a little pvp when it starts up.

23. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    We are here if you want to meet up
    [​IMG]

24. erocker

Thanks Received:
    That TheBat! fellow is one stand up guy!

25. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Might you be this bat man?