1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

anyone running vista?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by tigger, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    They OWN

2. peach1971

peach1971 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forget about that.
    Any update won´t disable that tilt bits AES-128 encryption shit.

another quote from http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Im sure Vista will be better. Same thing for Windows XP when it came out.

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Source? I see no reason to use Macs for designing games. I would love to know why they would be better for that purpose.

5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    That's what folks said during the Win9x -> NT-based OS' (NT4/2000) transition, almost verbatim...

:)

* It's TOUGH to win, if you stick by older OS' by MS... because they're moving forward once more, & you can see what happened to the 9x series of Win32 Operating Systems by now...

Primarily, they're a business, & one that has to keep us buying... they aren't out to make a better OS (or any software) primarily, but instead are in the business of MAKING MONEY, above all else - you really HAVE to keep that thought in mind, imo @ least.

Keep us buying...

APK

P.S.=> I remember being @ a LAN party that 3dfiles.com back in 1998 @ a local mall @ nite once most of its stores closed (once famous gaming site online - now known as "majorgeeks.com" & only Tim Tibbetts is left, & Ben is gone now) that that site held, & their co-owners (Ben & Tim) ribbed on me for playing Quake II on NT 4.0... & I was like "Well, give it time: You'll find out what happens, IF you stick by the 9x series in another 1-2 years"... apk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  6. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    And the irony is they'd still rip you for it nowadays.

7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those 2 especially/probably... lol!

(NO 'biggie'...)

APK

P.S.=> I've GOT to get around to "giving VISTA a go" myself... one of these days! apk

8. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure you know of many ways to get back at them :p

9. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    MANY...

* Ah, doesn't matter to me... it's the past!

(AND THE FUTURE, IS NOW!)

APK

10. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, at the moment I suppose the main point is Vista is a pile of bollocks for now :p

11. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, by "living vicariously" thru others (mainly, folks here who have tried it earlier on)? It seems alright for many things, but gaming using OpenGL games isn't one of them...

I also heard MS is 'backpeddling' on that note, & making it so you CAN put OpenGL back into VISTA 'natively' like it was in NT/2000/XP/Server 2003...

Zek showed us what OpenGL games look like under VISTA, & it's NOT nearly as nice as it does displayed natively via OpenGL only (not translating OpenGL API calls to DirectX 10 ones, as it did during "Z"'s demo to us).

APK

P.S.=> Security-wise, it's better than XP, & in some ways, better than Server 2003 (VISTA's 'base-code') even... lots of 'under-the-hood' type features many folks aren't aware of... but, the gaming issue is one MS has to resolve to every customer's satisfaction, imo @ least... especially OpenGL gamers, like myself! I like that API better for SOME reason (IDSoftware's my fav 'game software oem' is why, & they use it)... apk

12. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    It won't stay secure for long....I assure you

13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    So is Apple, so by what you just said you are saying Apple is as bad as M$....

14. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, time & history are on YOUR side on that note, so you're @ little risk w/ that statement most likely.

It's had patches for the OS itself (1 I know of) & for IE7 (1-2 I know of)...

So, you're most likely safe in your statement.

Still, it's got a few things going for it (like having Server 2003 as its codebase underpinnings) like UAC, IE7 'protected mode', Address Space Randomization, etc. et al...

(& more that I am NOT even beginning to touch that have improved in it vs. older MS OS')...

APK

15. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's true... They've got employees to pay, & stockholders as well!

APK

16. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apple has some amount of decency in their work. Unlike MS. I'm only using MS because I'm too young to afford a Mac.

17. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    How so?

Did you say that, because of others' telling you that, or did you arrive @ that conclusion YOURSELF, somehow?

If so, well again: How so??

APK

18. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Funny, I've done a lot of BETA testing for M$ and always had good responses, never had a problem with Customer Service (possibly the best I've ever used). Now I will admit they are incredibly misguided with Vista, but everyone can make mistakes, and they will learn from them.
    What you fail to grasp is that M$ doesn't delibrately make their software "open" to hackers. Hackers find a way in. Anything that can be made can be broken. It is impossible to close every hole, because holes can be created. Hackers are constantly looking for ways to breach M$ security and it will always happen. I will once again point you to the fact that M$ dominates the market so they are going to be targeted.

19. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just don't really like MS and the way they do things. All this liscensing rubbish is making the consumer mad. And the consumer comes before anything else in the world of business. It's really putting me off Vista. And what's this whole Hollywood thing about? Freakin' mess if you ask me. And the whole shabang about FORCING us to get Vista for DX10.

Well I came to this conclusion myself after seeing a Macintosh G5 Running OSX 10 for £5000. The first computer I ever used was a Mac. I thought they were great little things. Then I finally used a modern up to date G5 at a friends house (his father owns one of the first established media companies in Britain) and he had a lot of powerful Macs. I sat there for hours amazed at these things. The skill of the way they were made. Macs are a thing of beauty as well a sleeping power machine. And when I turn old enough to get a steady job and some money coming in, one of those things is mine.

20. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't help but think thats the first useful post I've ever made. Actually I have had my fair share ;)

21. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I look @ it, THIS way: They're ontop of their game... how far wrong can they be, since they ARE really in that very position?

Doesn't make ME angry @ all... it's 'risky' making blanket statements like that one my man, too general.

Yea, up until the point where you spend your money w/ them... & generally then, you aren't SO 'important' anymore, lol... the next 'sucker' is.

This I have NO idea what you mean... explain?

Prime selling point that one: Gaming, imo @ least, IS the largest single software market there is (aside from the OS itself & also certain peripheral softwares that deal in security or the feeling thereof in AntiVirus/AntiSpyware etc.).

Force folks to nab the ONLY OS THERE IS WITH IT? Eventually, once games for it release, folks will HAVE to upgrade to VISTA, & also new hardwares for said new API version (DirectX).

That's cool enough... I like OS X myself to be blunt about it.

Thing is though, it doesn't have as many apps, for as many purposes, & as of as "high" a quality that Microsoft & Win32 have going for them.

It's what keeps me around, & has KEPT me around, Win32 & Microsoft stuff for more than 15 years now...

APK

22. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL! Oh man... that's "future signature material" if ever I saw it... another "CASHETI CLASSIC"...

APK

P.S.=> Someone get a thermometer out & check Casheti's temperature... I think he MAY be ill! lol... apk

23. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apart from the fact that every Windows PC I have ever used has said "This program needs to close" or "This program has encountered an unexpected error" or "Windows needs to restart for changes to take effect". I HATE all that crap. Macintosh's just work, and that's the kind of machine I want.

"Not responding"

"Not responding"

"NOT FUCKING RESPONDING"

24. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen Mac's do that man... heck, I've seen most every kind of computer do that @ times... it happens!

APK

P.S.=> As far as your getting older & being able to afford one? Give it time - you'll be there one day, most likely... it's inevitable! apk

25. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well in all honesty I've never had a Macintosh crash on me.

Let's hope so :)