1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone sucessful with overclocking ASUS 280X?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ssawgift, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    My card is a newly bought ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5-V2. I had no experience on overclocking. I tried several times, but had my computer freeze. Please can someone post your successful overclocking results so that I can learn from? Thanks.

2. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    some just dont Oc very well ,ive a similar card and it clocks relatively poorly all round 1240 is the highest ive been able to bench it at without artefacting regardless of any setting and max fan speed

4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    To be fair, 1240MHz is a fairly respectable clock. I know the early 7970's clocked quite well but the later versions seemed to be a bit voltage shy. Maybe the 280X's follow the later 7970 trend?

But for the OP,

overclock on stock volts by 25MHz increments (50MHz if you're impatient). Run a stability test and try some gaming. Mnay folk swear by Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 for stability issues. Don't rely on Benchmarks. If that 25 (or 50Mhz) overclock is stable, move it up again. Keep testing it until it starts giving you issues. When it does, then add more voltage. Usually you'll find your stock voltage overclock limit and then add volts until it's stable. At that point you can increase clocks again (and then voltage etc).

But nothing is guaranteed in overclocking.

5. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    I'm using AMD OverDrive in Catalyst Control Center. I can't see anywhere that I can control voltage. Do I have to manually set voltage using BIOS?

6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    ssawgift says thanks.
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    My Sapphire 7970 OC doesn't OC well at all on the stock air cooler, but I chock that up to having bought it late in the model cycle, with it's ASIC Quality rating being an abysmal 61.5% as a result. Late cycle chip batches are often higher in current leakage. Apparently they're great on water cooling, but when you're going bang for buck, that kinda negates the whole purpose. That said, I got it for only $330, it had a great 3 game bundle, and it's really been a good value anyway because of that.

8. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Best benchmark I have found for stability is heaven 4.0 with all the settings to max.

9. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    My ASIC is 78.1%, is that good?

10. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    yeah that ASIC is pretty good.