1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone using a RAM disk?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Sasqui, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone here used a RAM disk? I haven't seen any over 4 GB, but have read that if it's used as the windows drive, most everything speeds up by a huge amount, and they are cheap (sub $100), plus ram prices have dropped by 1/2 within 6 months. The drawback is that most only have a battery life of 12 hrs or so, which leads to the next question... is that 12 hours of unplugged time, or 12 hr of "off" time? You'd obviously want to ghost the OS install.

Any opinions or experience? I'm also wondering if high-performance RAM makes a difference... thx.
  2. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Lol been ages since i've heard of a RAM disk. I remember gigabyte having a PCI type with 4 DDR2 slots.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yea, they were the first... the reviews showed it really sped things up, especially on sustained transfer and access delay:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6200&page=5

however laughable given memory prices - but that part of the picture has changed. There are a few others out there as well...

I think I had seen this a while back (promting this post in the first place): http://www.techpowerup.com/?32342
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte wasn't the first, Alec for example had a rocket drive. And I recall the Gigabyte driver using DDR1.

Either way, RAM drives are easily bottlenecked by the interface, which means they're lightning fast and have very low response times.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That was a non-sequotor... They say the drive is bottlenecked by the SATA 150 interface -not too many traditional drives meet that performance.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6200&page=6

With memory cheap, it sounds like an interesting proposition... hence the post.
  6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The newer models are SATA300, still bottlenecked of course. However 2 of those in RAID0 = really fast.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Indeed... I've only found a few models out there searching on "ram disk" or "DDR2 ram drive" in google. Can you think of any other search terms?
  8. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    The benches are the ram drives are impressive, but its seems for practical when you use it to page/cache files.
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I'd opt for the system drive - it get's hit more frequently than any other.

Wow... I just looked at my windows directory - 3.8 GB!!!
  10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    that seems quite high, perhaps the win dir has some temp files, or old data. Also, system restore takes some space also, and every win update has some bloat with it (uninstaller, backed up files, etc).
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yea, totally... this is my work machine. Here's the twist - I use it so much, it's difficult to find time to do the sensible maintenance. It's easy to find time to post on TPU though, :toast:
  12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I should just get more RAM and use software to create a RAM drive. Would cost about the same.
  13. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    saw a review of the gigabyte in this months custompc (uk) and theyre still ddr1 drives, im thinking of getting one, as i have 4gb of ddr1 'just lying around' lol
  14. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always wanted to try that. I'll research some software later, and try it on a spare system I've got lying around. Did you have any particular program in mind?
  15. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Windows comes with a driver.
    Wayward says thanks.
  16. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you learn something new everyday. Thanks, I'll get on that and see how it goes. :)