1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apacer Working on PCIe Cache-SSD

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 21, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Apacer is working on a hard drive cache-SSD of its own, which is similar in principle to OCZ's Revodrive Hybrid. Called PHFD, the cache-SSD is a full-height PCI-Express 2.0 x1 add-on card, which seats a Marvell 88SE9130 (or similar) 2-port SATA 6 Gb/s controller, with one port wired to an onboard 32 GB SSD subunit, and the other port given out as a standard SATA port (to which you plug your system HDD). Marvell 88SE9130 includes a feature called HyperDuo, which is similar to Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), it handles the SSD-caching on PFHD. Apacer's solution could end up being a cost-effective solution to systems without Intel RST.

[​IMG]

Source: VR-Zone
  2. hhumas

Thanks Received:
    i hope it would be cheap
  3. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    can it also be configured to run as a 32GB OS boot drive?
    More than 25k PPD
  4. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking forward for it to hit the shelves now.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a great /boot and / (root) drive. I would get that for a server, but more than anything, I dig the PCI-E x1 bus.
  6. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    give me a 500gb version :)
  7. LeadSled New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is only a PCIe 2.0 and only 1 PCIe slot it will only be a waist of space because it will not have the bandwidth that a dedicated cache would need. If you have a older machine it would work great but if you have a newer PCIe 3.0 or a 2011 socket it would be cheaper to upgrade to a Windows 7 version that supports more then 16GB like Home Premium supoorts and run a ram drive because 250 MB/s with a PCIe 2.0 one slot, well is slow. My 8X PCIe 3.0 drive has 32 times the through put that does even you SATA 3 drives will make that look have 50% the speed of a good SATA 3 drive will make that look slow. They are on the right track but needs more then 250MB/s and since USB 3.0 drives are in the $100 range, I think you are looking at something that will never make the market since a 32GB SATA 3 drive I have no doubt will give it some dust to eat. They say there is a sucker born every minute so maybe there us a market, but unless they plan a major redesign that is just a waist of time and money. Maybe this is justa joke because it is something that would be usefull maybe 2-3 years ago.
  8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Provided your Linux distro supports Marvell HyperDuo application.
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't be looking to use it for caching. Caching server data seems like a terrible idea. This would just be for configurations, base applications and boot. I don't know why I would need the app if I'm not going to to be caching.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  10. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if its cheap, i want it :D