1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple anti-competitive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JATownes, May 5, 2010.

1. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
  2. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    valid... microsoft got the same investigation in 90s but it unfortunetly won hope in 2010 things have changed and same thing wont happen again :)
  3. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with it winning? It's not like anyone else can make windows.
    JATownes says thanks.
  4. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. The EU debacle with the browser issue is a good example. MS was forced to include other browsers so that the consumer would have a choice. Why is Apple allowed to not let the consumer make ANY choice, besides Apple choices? I also agree with the anti-trust case, but I think it should be more sweeping than just the Apple SDK and Adobe Flash cross-platform compiler.
  5. jimmyme New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, serious??? Are you crazy? Apple are extremely uncompetitive. Have been for ages. Its common knowledge.
    Actually something like this should have happened ages ago, but legislation is way behind the times with tecfhnology!
    JATownes says thanks.
  6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I think this case has a point and its coming right after apple pretty much forced adobe to drop all future support for flash on the Ipad and Iphone, I think this case has a point and hope apple loses so maybe support for flash continues for developers because the way it is now they have to use time consuming loopholes and apple will more than likely reject the app if it uses flash.
  7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    Add the fact that they are trying to sue HTC who is one of the biggest re-distributors of Google's Android mobile OS and it raises more questions. Also Not to mention the new Development tools forced upon the developers of Iphone/Ipod/Ipad software where it limits them what they can use and cant.
    JATownes says thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Valid. I think it was an article in CPU Mag where they made the case that Apple was basically begging for an anti-trust lawsuit to be filed against them. Apple is effectively controlling an entire market by forcing everything to be sold through them. If that isn't monopolistic behavior, what is? It also discussed how the mobile phone industry was moving to counter Apple by creating an open software platform for all mobile phones to share. Software developers and mobile companies alike need it to get away from Apple's choke hold on their products and platform, respectively.

Anti-trust laws only come into play when you are a dominant force in a market. Until recently, they haven't been.
    JATownes says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Apple's entire business model is based on not allowing anyone but Apple to do anything on anything Apple produces.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't tell if you are agreeing with their business model or disagreeing with it. I actually like Apple products (the iPhone is sick). But I think they should be more open and let us play with them a little more. Ever try and overclock an Intel Mac? What a joke.
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much true. The did foster a market of MAC aftermarket clones at one point. I think they were trying to chase the ATX open market model, so they could sell more operating systems and software.

I hate apple, despise people that covet a macbook.

Worst of all, I hate myself for wanting an iTouch or iPhone. :laugh:
  12. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Bingo....
  13. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Yea and then sued for infringement of their copyrights. http://www.macworld.com/article/134524/2008/07/psystar_lawsuit.html
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Neither, I was just stating what it was, no agreement of disagreement in there at all.

If it works for them, then let them do it, the consumers can decide what they want. If they want a more open platform or a more refined closed platform.

In anything I'm against all these BS anti-trust lawsuits. It is called competition.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    And then the consumers vote by cracking there iphones. When I bought mine, at the ATT store, I asked the clerk how many of there people had iphones that were cracked. He paused......then counted the room sales people(around 9 ish)...about 5 had cracked there iphones.
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Anti-trust steps in when businesses are in a position and do something that prevents competition. Apple has been doing things like this since the 1980s but they never established a market monopoly to warrant an anti-trust case against them. They created that monopoly and the market shows it: either you are Apple or against Apple. This lawsuit is needed for the sake of all those that aren't Apple.
    Crunching for Team TPU