1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Bonds New iPods to iTunes; New iPods Cannot Use Any Other Music Service

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Sep 17, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    It seems as though Apple wants to maintain a bond between iPod and iTunes. The new iPods (including the iPod Touch) officially can not use any music service other than iTunes. Attempting to use a service like, say, Real Rhapsody, will cause the iPod not to recognize any songs on it. This move by Apple is most likely a response to what Real did to ensure compatibility to iPods. A while ago, Real Networks asked Apple to license its Fairplay DRM software. When they refused, they reverse engineered the software, and created "Harmony technology", which allowed music purchased off of Real Rhapsody to be placed on an iPod. This infuriated Apple, who accused Real of using the "tactics and ethics of a hacker".

IPod owners that run Linux will not be able to put any music on their iPods.

Source: DailyTech

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how long it takes until someone sues apple for this

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    anti-trust law suite coming there way soon i guess.

or just buy a zune which will play any open format........thank god for microsoft! (OMG did i just say that!!!)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This is why I refuse to buy anything Apple, but Apple is always the first one to bitch about Microsoft.

The company is just complete shit.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I am proud to say I have never owned any 'apple' branded merchandise ever. no mp3's no T-shirts, no headphones not even their quicktime lol

also I havent eaten any apples since I was like 5 - I have some sorta alergic reaction to them which causes my throat to swell up & get really irritant kinda like an itch but i cant scratch it because the problem is internal...

anyway - NO APPLES FOR M3!!!!!!! Not even the fruit I will ever touch

6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could say the same, unfortunately I have to have a Macbook because I have to support Macs at work. But at least I didn't buy it, work gave it to me.

7. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Im not Dissing Macbooks - im sure their great for what they are for which is mainly industrial purposes

& if its free then what the hey cant complain

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That is one of the things I hate, too. Apple's hardware is actually damn good, it is just the company I can't stand.

9. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    Sigh... I can't say I don't own any apple products (but I can say I've never paid for any). I've got an old apple monitor with a rca in for my security cameras and an older imac keyboard as a backups backup in my closet somewhere.
    Apple is too full of themselves, funny how they still are but they use primarily PC parts now...

10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Lets take one of the most popular gadgets of the new millenium, all the money its made, and just alienate anyone else we can get into our folds who havent purchased an Ipod yet because they dont like itunes.

SMART MOVE APPLE! :rolleyes:

11. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know why people get so mad. If you don't like it, don't buy it! No one is FORCING you to buy Apple or anything.
    I bought one of the iPod videos nearly a year ago, and I will NEVER buy anything iPod again. And after hearing this news, that just further strengthens my decision.

13. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is monopoly and monopoly on a mass product a product thats near on every house you can just block people because you can't control them

i believe the same for every company

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The problem with that logic is: It isn't clearly spelled out the the consumer that their iPod they are about to buy is bound to using iTunes music only. It isn't marked on the packaging, and Apple certainly doesn't disclaim it on their website anywhere I could find.

15. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Really though I don't understand the problem...

iTunes is a perfectly capable program, with plenty of anything you want media wise. The only people who won't like this are the people who have rhapsody, urge, napster, ect... People who use those programs should do their homework before buying a 300$ mp3 player anyway. If you have a iPod right now and use those programs, just buy real copies of your CDs from now on and import them into your itunes library if you don't want to use iTunes...

16. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Edit: ^^ they shouldnt have to study up on thier product as most consumers dont or dont have the time too, its not even well known this only playable with itunes "crap".. but if they say this on the cover of the touch than it would harm thier sales.. just like bullcrap BioShock.. I lost one install, who knows if it will even wqork on my current setup for Im not using raid atm..

so would it play music you dl from say a tozent site? I think if you have the actual cd it will convert it.. its just that if you use Real Rhapsody (or others) you can't.. makes some sence to me... why go buy from that Real Rhapsody when you have itunes? but yes the should have this on the label for if someone already has a huge libary with Real Rhapsody music buy an touch.. well atleast you could return it no questions asked at some stores but not all.. it should say can only be used with itunes or hardcopy cds/dvds.

17. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Rhapsody could do the same thing with their own mp3 player, and yes you can add torrents to your library...mp3 files.

18. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ cool, but yeah itouch should mention this on the cover.. not make people depend on word of mouth to find out.. I concider buying an itouch :p but maybe I'll opt for a psp :p if I was to go that route :D yes psp OWNS I want a pricedrop though lol

I have a 3g ipod :) does the music thing well. :)

19. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever had a fudge-covered candy apple? :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally iTunes is fine as music management, drag and drop, plug the iPod in and go. The only problem comes in when you need to play copyrighted WMP.....but who does that anyways.

21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Meh, this is blown out of proportion. It will be cracked again.

22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Sadly no - the only exception to apples that I will eat is what comes in an apple pie....after its had the sh*t baked out of it :)

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And don't forget the tons of sugar and cinnamon to go with it. lol

24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Just as well i rarely touch apple pie also :) lol