1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple confirms move to Intel

Discussion in 'News' started by DanTheBanjoman, Jun 6, 2005.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It has been rumored for 10+ years, and not long ago the rumor started again. Though today Apple officially confirms it, they will move to Intel starting from 2006.
    Again, it's not clear if they're talking about the x86 architecture, though since they talk about "PowerPC and Intel processors" I take it it will be x86. Since 2006 is pretty close exact details will most likely come soon.

2. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Does this mean we can expect an x86 version of Tiger OS?? What if Apple starts selling stand alone copies of the Mac OS X for the x86 architecture? This could spell serious trouble for MS.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. //mAr New Member

Thanks Received:
    hope so

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The fact that they might use x86 CPU's doesnt mean the rest is the same. Perhaps They got a slightly different socket, perhaps it'll be protected in the BIOS. I doubt Apple will give their OS free to the Wintel world. Doing that would mean having to support an endless range of different hardware, which they can't. That would end up in main stream users thinking OS X is bad due to lack of hardware support (and resulting instability). I think Apple will stay in their own isolated corner.

It will most likely get hacked though.

5. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    This has been confirmed too: Every build of OS X supports Intel x86 procs:

Source

I wonder on what kind of hardware was OS X tested. Logically, this hardware was built with off the shelf Intel compatible components, as it was used to test OS X in an x86 enviroment long before today's announcement.
    If I was Jobs, I would dedicate these so called "just in case scenario teams" to develop support for current x86 hardware, but, then again, this is just wishful thinking... :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    OS X runs on unix(darwin), I have no clue about how it works from there but I'd guess it uses unix drivers.

Still, even though I highly doubt it's no x86, it doesn't say x86 anywhere. Just says Intel platform. IA64 is an Intel platform too. It could still be a seperate line of CPU's as well.

7. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    :D AHAHAHAHAHAH :D

*goes to flame fanboys on c|net*

cant wait to download mac OSX for dual boot (hopefully) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  8. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Source

Sounds pretty much x86 to me ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ah missed that :) It's good that we can be 100% sure then.

11. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Forget about official support from Apple for OS X on non-Mac x86 platform :(

Source

At least there's hope one day we might see OS X running on non-Mac x86 systems, though not officially.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I say 1 month before there are fully functional copies of hacked bios images for certain motherboards to run OS X.

Unless they use a new chipset.

13. Unregistered Guest

I don't know, Apple is based on UNIX and Linux too is based on UNIX, and I have used Fedora Redhat, and besides my wireless card, they support all of my hardware I have. The only reason my wireless card isn't supported is because the company that made it is crappy. But I believe that Apple might base there release along the same lines of a Linux distribution, because to move there architecture to an x86 platform should be pretty much flawless since Tiger is UNIX. But you are right about how they might use specialized CUP's and everything. I wonder why Apple didn't choose AMD though?