1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple iMac Available on November 30th

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Nah, I don't like Apple. My friend had an iPod and it was full of bad music.

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    lol no because i know rich people who prefer beer, the super micro brew $40/litre kind, and really dislike wine. i also know the "normal" people who like wine but they prefer it from a box :roll:

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That would be your friend's problem, not Apple's :)

Sometimes its pretty hard to upgrade 200+ computers scattered around a building. Getting it right in the first time, and then replace it completely when the time is up saves precious time (its not too difficult to lose over a million dollars with a 1hr downtime in a 200 worker company). Sure, if you are managing about 50-100 pc alone its just about manageable upgrading and building every single one of them, but when your duties include managing the network, servers, website, etc. suddenly it doesn't make any sense to save a couple of hundred by building rigs yourself.

Also, most commoners (non TPU people) seem to feel a bit more excited seeing shiny new Apples rather than boring HPs, boosting worker productivity is always a bonus.

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    It was the thought that counts... :/

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    I agree but it's always a good option, and it also allows quick repairs to be made.

I can't see Apple giving better productivity in this case (consumer hardware vs workstation class hardware), perhaps I gave a wrong example of an alternative.

6. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:

Can I have what you're smoking, Sir??

You're either stupidly rich, insane, or immensely high..... I can't decide. :wtf: :pimp:

Apple charge top coin for what amounts basically to a really powerful tablet with a stand... its not new, glorious or anything else along those lines... its just in a white cover.

And while it may be 5mm at its edge, it isn't 5mm anywhere else :laugh: :toast:

And for the record, I even own a fair selection of Apple products.

7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Quick repairs is always good, but the IT departments I know usually just call in someone else to fix it, while they provide a backup computer to the affected party. Somehow all the IT depts I know are always severely understaffed :roll:

Of course you want to give workstation class hardware to those who need them, but for most of the rest shiny new Apple stuff usually gets them happy (and hopefully work harder). I know I worked harder after they replaced the i7 860s with 3770's lol

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Exactly what I keep saying. It's the screens that keep me interested in iMacs. It's the main part I stare at for hours on end, it's the part I want to look the best.

You just made his point for him. If PC vendors upped the resolution, the prices on these screens would come down, causing them to be adopted as standard. Until then, we get to pay the premiums for them.

But not in all-in-ones. You can't directly compare a tower to an all-in-one. The people that buy AIO computers are specifically looking for that formfactor. In this case, the formfactor itself is a feature.

The 27" HP is 1080p. Definitely an $800 improvement, considering quality 2560x1440 displays generally run in that range anyway.

While I wouldn't go as far as Rhino and say they are underpriced, they certainly are not overpriced.

Kantastic says thanks.
  9. chinmi

Thanks Received:
    8 Gb Ram ??? 1 Tb HDD ?? i5 3470 ?? wow that's awesome.... and plus the 675mx gpu gonna be way faster then my 670 desktop version because it has 5 more points in number then the 670 desktop... this is by far the best and the cheapest totally used for productivity and office awesomeness computer system.... ups i mean mac system.... :toast:

ps: lots of sarcasm on this post :D

10. Depth

Thanks Received:
    ;) My sense of humour always gets a few extra layers of Depth during a migraine

To be fair I would probably have had gotten an iPod if I didn't have to use iTunes, but after Apple started suing everyone for everything (my S3 is a ripoff of the iPhone? How?) I've been avoiding Apple like the plague. They want a 100% market share by force. I will not contribute.

11. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
  12. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Can't customise that one to match Mac's offering, so you can treat it as a product targeting a different pricepoint.

13. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    My 700$ laptop manages to fit similar specs into a 15.6inch case whilst remaining under an inch thick and weighing less than 2kg. Point invalid?

14. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Your laptop doesn't come with IPS 1440p screen, but I think we are getting out of topic.

15. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    I somehow doubt a company would splash that much cash (especially these days) just for a nicer design (and even if workers do work "harder" it's usually just for a short time).
    Hardware upgrade is one thing but using wast amounts of money on design alone won't turn profits.