• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Introduces iCloud, Free Cloud Services Beyond Anything Offered to Date

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apple introduced iCloud, a breakthrough set of free new cloud services that work seamlessly with applications on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and automatically and wirelessly push it to all your devices. When anything changes on one of your devices, all of your devices are wirelessly updated almost instantly.

"Today it is a real hassle and very frustrating to keep all your information and content up-to-date across all your devices," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iCloud keeps your important information and content up to date across all your devices. All of this happens automatically and wirelessly, and because it's integrated into our apps you don't even need to think about it-it all just works."

The free iCloud services include:
  • The former MobileMe services-Contacts, Calendar and Mail-all completely re-architected and rewritten to work seamlessly with iCloud. Users can share calendars with friends and family, and the ad-free push Mail account is hosted at me.com. Your inbox and mailboxes are kept up-to-date across all your iOS devices and computers.
  • The App Store and iBookstore now download purchased iOS apps and books to all your devices, not just the device they were purchased on. In addition, the App Store and iBookstore now let you see your purchase history, and simply tapping the iCloud icon will download any apps and books to any iOS device (up to 10 devices) at no additional cost.
  • iCloud Backup automatically and securely backs up your iOS devices to iCloud daily over Wi-Fi when you charge your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Backed up content includes purchased music, apps and books, Camera Roll (photos and videos), device settings and app data. If you replace your iOS device, just enter your Apple ID and password during setup and iCloud restores your new device.
  • iCloud Storage seamlessly stores all documents created using iCloud Storage APIs, and automatically pushes them to all your devices. When you change a document on any device, iCloud automatically pushes the changes to all your devices. Apple's Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps already take advantage of iCloud Storage. Users get up to 5GB of free storage for their mail, documents and backup-which is more amazing since the storage for music, apps and books purchased from Apple, and the storage required by Photo Stream doesn't count towards this 5GB total. Users will be able to buy even more storage, with details announced when iCloud ships this fall.
  • iCloud's innovative Photo Stream service automatically uploads the photos you take or import on any of your devices and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices and computers. So you can use your iPhone to take a dozen photos of your friends during the afternoon baseball game, and they will be ready to share with the entire group on your iPad (or even Apple TV) when you return home. Photo Stream is built into the photo apps on all iOS devices, iPhoto on Macs, and saved to the Pictures folder on a PC. To save space, the last 1,000 photos are stored on each device so they can be viewed or moved to an album to save forever. Macs and PCs will store all photos from the Photo Stream, since they have more storage. iCloud will store each photo in the cloud for 30 days, which is plenty of time to connect your devices to iCloud and automatically download the latest photos from Photo Stream via Wi-Fi.
  • iTunes in the Cloud lets you download your previously purchased iTunes music to all your iOS devices at no additional cost, and new music purchases can be downloaded automatically to all your devices. In addition, music not purchased from iTunes can gain the same benefits by using iTunes Match, a service that replaces your music with a 256 kbps AAC DRM-free version if we can match it to the over 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, it makes the matched music available in minutes (instead of weeks to upload your entire music library), and uploads only the small percentage of unmatched music. iTunes Match will be available this fall for a $24.99 annual fee. Apple today is releasing a free beta version of iTunes in the Cloud, without iTunes Match, for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users running iOS 4.3. iTunes in the Cloud will support all iPhones that iOS 5 supports this fall.
Apple is ready to ramp iCloud in its three data centers, including the third recently completed in Maiden, NC. Apple has invested over $500 million in its Maiden data center to support the expected customer demand for the free iCloud services.

Pricing & Availability
The iCloud beta and Cloud Storage APIs are available immediately to iOS and Mac Developer Program members at developer.apple.com. iCloud will be available this fall concurrent with iOS 5. Users can sign up for iCloud for free on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 5 or a Mac running Mac OS X Lion with a valid Apple ID. iCloud includes 5GB of free cloud storage for Mail, Document Storage and Backup. Purchased music, apps, books and Photo Stream do not count against the storage limit. iTunes Match will be available for $24.99 per year (US only).

iTunes in the Cloud is available today in the US and requires iTunes 10.3 and iOS 4.3.3. Automatic download of apps and books is available today. Using iCloud with a PC requires Windows Vista or Windows 7; Outlook 2010 or 2007 is recommended for accessing contacts and calendars.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Meh, All this push to cloud based stuff is not impressing me. I'll just stick with my home server that I can access from anywhere I have internet, and has a shit-ton more storage, thank you very much.

hanzi

iCloud includes 5GB of free cloud storage for Mail, Document Storage and Backup. Purchased music, apps, books and Photo Stream do not count against the storage limit.

Looks like another cash cow for Apple. Can't blame them though, this is good for those people who have Apple systems that don't know anything about the latest technology, just worrying about their own business and being a part of the hype. For everyone else there is online mail system, online photo stream, online document storage and backup etc.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
yay, a new awesome way to make you pay more for your storage, and a way to rape unsuspecting consumers 3G data connections.

I have various terabytes of personal data and I don't want it to sync with my devices.

System Name About_To_Be_Replaced
Processor AMD Deneb 955 OC to 3.82GHz
Motherboard ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB
Storage Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SATA III (SSD)
Display(s) Samsung 2770HD
Case COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
Software Win 7 64 Bit Home Edition SP1
Benchmark Scores Build 1: Listed Specs Build 2: Waiting for SteamRoller
Steve Jobs says I must buy .... Steve Jobs says I must buy....

If I don't his unicorn's horn may fall off

I know of a few Apple fanboys here at work and I bet this is all I'm going to hear about for the next few days ... :cry:

System Name inferKNIGHT
Processor Intel Core i5-4590
Motherboard MSI Z97i Gaming AC
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (R/G)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 3.5GB (+0.5GB? o.O)
Storage 1 x 256GB Cricial M550, 1 x 2TB Samsung 7200.12
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T260
Case Corsair Obsidian 250D
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1.1 pro x64
Personally, I hate the idea of cloud based computing.
I'm not interested in the idea of my personal stuff being online and possibly at risk of unauthorised access, whether by hackers or for market research or whatever rubbish reasons they come up with for their "targeted advertising" or otherwise.:wtf:
Besides that, this is only truly works well for those that have unlimited & high speed internet connectivity, not for Africa or any other region without such anyway, so these ideas of clouding everything would leave the rest of us stranded.
Syncing is one thing, but making everything cloud based is a no-no IMO!

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
personally im not sure cloud based at this time, theres many to do before we can say its reliable and could be used daily.
i know the concept is pretty interesting where no matter where you are you can access your data thru phone, notebook, pc and so and so
but for today i prefer store it locally

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
look at the sony hacks, and tell me how cloud would have gone down in that situation.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I like "cloud" for data... so long as it isn't my private data. The idea of using cloud to store ONE copy of a CD, DVD, media file etc, and allowing millions of people to (authorised) index-link-access to it is great. Save ME my cost of installing and electricity cost of running the server holding the data, plus avoid the expensive time, money, bandwidth exercise of backing up huge media files. Great. Except for bandwidth of course. MANY countries are not like the US with high speed unlimited internet bandwidth.

But my business, my private files, things unique to me? Nope.

Well done Apple imo. I think for 99% "consumers" this is great.

I also like iOS5 where I no longer have to BACK UP my whole iPod, firmware, and iTunes bloat on my laptops precious SSD. It will save me 50GB of SSD which to me avoids having to buy a SSD capacity upgrade. iTunes on SSD laptop is really bad news economically. So iOS5 that avoids this is great.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
So my music collection is 120GB. Something tells me that would be an issue.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Cloud storage is good for when you need certain data on several places and dont want to fiddle with USB sticks. Media and such not so much though.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
They already have enough control over what you do with the i-Whatever that it doesn't really change things. Basically, an i-Person owns nothing, Apple does. Does this change the landscape?... not much they are just keeping what they already own on thier servers. It scares me. :)

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
You have to see the evolution like this:

1./ iTunes lets you rip CD's to your PC and load onto iPod
2./ iTunes lets you buy music for download
3./ iTunes lets you buy music for download then back up to the cloud
4./ iTunes lets you NOT buy music for download, but buy RIGHTS to play music in the cloud
5./ iTunes doesn't let you download or own anything. Music as a service, pay per play

We are evolving slowly from 1 to 5. NO, I DONT LIKE THAT BUSINESS MODEL. But, you have to say, one step at a time, each step is being delivered in a way that 90% of customers believe is useful and adds value to them.

Just not "us".

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
You have to see the evolution like this:

1./ iTunes lets you rip CD's to your PC and load onto iPod
2./ iTunes lets you buy music for download
3./ iTunes lets you buy music for download then back up to the cloud
4./ iTunes lets you NOT buy music for download, but buy RIGHTS to play music in the cloud
5./ iTunes doesn't let you download or own anything. Music as a service, pay per play

We are evolving slowly from 1 to 5. NO, I DONT LIKE THAT BUSINESS MODEL. But, you have to say, one step at a time, each step is being delivered in a way that 90% of customers believe is useful and adds value to them.

Just not "us".

well you don't have to use apples terribly inefficient and overpriced business model, its not as if there aren't 100 other companies there to provide the same service itunes provides at the moment, i like spotify's business strategy, small monthly subscription to the service but i can always buy the songs for ~50-60p if i want

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
So my music collection is 120GB. Something tells me that would be an issue.

i'd think that the icloud would have access to a crazy music collection and through it you just access which songs you own/have owned on another device? streaming in a sense i guess....hmmm idk lol that'd be a lot of bandwidth usage.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
^ Yep apparently thats what it does in a nutshell though I am trying to get more details at this point.

Edit: Hmm...sounds like the technical details are cool (for people like me with tunes from all over the place) but this will cost me $25 a year?

And the big hit among the services announced would be iTunes Match. The service which will be available for $US24.95 a year, scans through the hard drives of the user devices, including legally obtained or pirated copies, and matches them with the authorized tracks in Apple's iTunes library. It then makes a quality iTunes version of the tracks automatically accessible in the iCloud.

It appears that iTunes Match will act as a music 'launderer' of sorts, which once synced with iCloud cannot be differentiated from the music originally bought from iTunes. Meaning nobody can sue you for illegal downloading or file sharing, should your details are made available to authorities.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/158...eople-love-icloud-sync-pirate-music-strea.htm

Last edited:
System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I am really having a hard time understanding why in the US there is a movement outside of the corporate world to put all your stuff online, I mean form the point of, convenience of anywhere access, it makes huge sense, I mean one could do the same with an FTP, then give it all to a company like apple which is notorious for invading peoples info and privacy.

Moreover, a lot of ISP's in America are pushing hard to have a pay for what you use model with hard caps. Coupled with the fact in America we still have areas where dialup is still peoples only way on the internet. America's internet infrastructure is years behind other country's (mainly because the US is so big), I just don't see why one would want to do this, it seems only like an added cost.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
That's cool if it's not for you, or you hate big bad Apple, or whatever reason. It's a service for a fee like any of the other million services out there.

It's not for me but I can think of a ton of people in my life that would benefit, and to most of them $25 is like taking a piss.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
we have an iWhatever clubhouse now, where the apple owners can huddle together for warmth, protection, shelter, and wifi based cloud storage.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
^ Yep apparently thats what it does in a nutshell though I am trying to get more details at this point.

Edit: Hmm...sounds like the technical details are cool (for people like me with tunes from all over the place) but this will cost me $25 a year?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/158...eople-love-icloud-sync-pirate-music-strea.htm

Want your music anywhere? http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

And if, like me, the majority of your collection is in flac, you do not have to convert ahead of time. Subsonic will do it on the fly.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
"iOS Storage" -- just like Dropbox, only it works on 90% less types of devices.

Why bother?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I wonder how long before some fucksticks get sued for uploading tagged pirate music and other content?

Amazon offers the same but with 20GB, and I have 100GB available at Microsoft. But fat chance in hell I will upload anything of mine to them. I have a good router and high speed access. Plus I can has RDC or VNC to share at friends and family houses, and how cheap storage is I hs plenty of storage on my phone and can have more.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Hrm no streaming. Subsonic has this?

"At first blush, the thought of having your entire music collection available through iCloud sounded like an amazingly awesome deal. And for those of us who have amassed large record collections outside of the iTunes marketplace, it felt as though we were being pardoned for sins against the $.99 download -- whether we came across our mp3s through ripping, legal file sharing, or piracy," writes Audrey Watters.
"But it's important to note that Apple's new offer does not involve music streaming. True, you can have your music collection synced across devices (up to 10 of them). But you will still have to download the music you want to play onto your iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch or Mac. You won't be able to access your entire collection and randomly shuffle between all the glorious gigabytes."
Watters concludes: "Music in the cloud is still very much up for grabs."

CNN Tech

"iOS Storage" -- just like Dropbox, only it works on 90% less types of devices.

Why bother?

It may seem that way at a glance but not exactly...this is automatic, integrated into the OS and it's core apps and "just works" without any real user intervention or config. Ihnatko described it well:

Dropbox is intensely useful, but in the end it’s just a cloud version of a removable USB thumb drive. I copy a document from here to there, then I pick up another device, launch the Dropbox app, and copy it from there to here. Apple forcefully made the point that iCloud is meant to do no less than replace the PC in its current role as the hub of the digital experience, and relegate it to the status of Just Another Device that syncs data between itself and everything else.

Source

Last edited:
System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Hrm no streaming. Subsonic has this?

CNN Tech

It may seem that way at a glance but not exactly...this is automatic, integrated into the OS and it's core apps and "just works" without any real user intervention or config. Ihnatko described it well:

Source

I honestly don't know what that author is talking about "copying from here to there" with Dropbox -- the way I've used it, everything is just synced to everything else. There is no manual copying needed.

Furthermore, iCloud won't support Android or any other platform that doesn't run iTunes, and never will. :laugh: Which makes it absolutely useless to a lot of people I know.