1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93GHz Desktop with AppleCare for $6,469

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by joytime360, Aug 18, 2010.

1. joytime360

joytime360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ExperCom offers the recently-released Apple Mac Pro 12-Core Intel Xeon 2.93GHz Workstation model no. Z0M4, configured with 12GB RAM and bundled with three years of AppleCare for $6,469. With shipping around $22.
    What do you think about it ? Worth it or not?
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    In a word....NO!!! For 6500 bucks u should be getting more than a HD5770...You could have a PC with same or better specs and 2 5970's with change to spare. Apple are soo overpriced its not even funny....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    get a dell workstation or something, if you need a machine for work, because that machine is for work, not for play.(it's a mac, lol)
  4. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I don't think this machine is targeted at budget minded gamers, seriously. Apple isn't trying to sell it to gamers. It's for production. You couldn't legally (required at some places) run Final Cut Pro (among others) on your PC "with similar specs". And you can run Windows and ANY Windows app on this machine with ease.
  5. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    $22 FOR SHIPPING!!!:eek:
  6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

like that matters to whatever moron who drops the cash on this overpriced machine.
    tomtom, ebolamonkey3 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Don't matter who its aimed at, OP asked if it was worth it and nothing more and i offered my point of view on it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely not worth it. For $6500 you can build up your own PC that can annihilate that mac. :)
  9. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I would buy it, DON'T KILL ME!!!:respect:

If i had a lot of cash, as a bait to hunt apple fanboys:D

The true: The Mac Pro is the only Mac i like, the high end model, I used Windows, Linux, but not OS X, i know it's pretty much the same, but i'm curious.
  10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Is it worth it? I think this story explains it all.

During the beginnings of the older Mac's Steve Jobs directly oversaw the creation of the hardware, software, you name it, of the Apple computing business. While going over the new Mac prototype, which the engineers had slaved over, and was working fine, he tells the head engineer, "I don't like the memory, it is not symmetrical. Move x to y, and p to q. It will look better that way." The engineer argues it works just fine, and nobody is going to open the computer anyway. Steve Jobs pretty much tells the guy to change it, which the engineer is arguing whether or not it is electronically possible. Long story short, the engineer was right, the memory chips could not be repositioned. Steve Jobs had to settle for less.

Why is this important? Besides the obvious that Apple prizes form over function, it says that you are really paying for a look, and even though you may never see it, you do pay for it.

And if you believe in my conclusion above, then you believe in the tooth fairy.

PS: The story is true.
    IINexusII says thanks.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Um you reactionaries need to untwist your panties and at least try pricing out a similar Dell before mindlessly regurgitating the same tired BS about how anyone who buys a Mac is an elitist moron with more cash than sense. First of all, this is a 12 core WORKSTATION (except for the 5770 of course). Second and more importantly, I was near EIGHT GRAND on the Dell customization screen before I gave up trying to figure out what option was making it so much more and got back to work (I guess the Pro Graphics).

Here. See for yourself. The link didn't keep my options so choose them yourself:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&oc=MLB1755_64_2&s=biz
    Wile E says thanks.
  12. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    a complete waste of money. period.
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    This is no longer 1998, people. Macs are different machines now. You know, like, Intel boxes? I expect more intelligence from this community. If I wanted to see the type of fanboyesque hive-minded crap I'm finding in this thread I'd hang out at [H] or something.
    Wile E, digibucc, King Wookie and 2 others say thanks.
  14. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's see, here is the spec, for $6500 you get:

Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Westmere (12 cores)
    - 12GB (6X2GB) Upgraded by Expercom
    - 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    - One 18x SuperDrive
    - Apple Magic Mouse
    - Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide

Now let's try building this yourself:

EVGA SR-2 - $600
    2x Intel Xeon X5670 ~ $2900

Total so far: $3500

I'm sure you can find 12gb of RAM, 1tb of Hard drive, and a 5770 with the other $3000 ;)
    TIGR and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget the OS and 3 years of extended warranty on all parts. My main point still stands--the Dell is just as expensive if not more. This is the professional workstation market. The average person can't build this themselves nor would the average enterprise ever bother.
  16. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So noob question, what's so special about a workstation besides the parts you put into it? If you use Xeon processors, and ECC ram and all that good stuff, what's the difference? Server OS and manufacturer warranty?

Anyways, back to OP's main question: do we think this is worth it? And I think we all said no.
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    6500 buys that ASUS ARES monster from Newegg.

that said, I do think prices are a bit high, but not that much. When you buy an Apple box...it works. Buy your own, and you take chances that parts will fail quickly.

Personally, I'll pay for a good warranty. I use an i7 Macbook pro in my DAC(you can only run Logic on Mac machines, so I have no choice anyway).
  18. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Similar boat here, we use Transmit & TextMate for all are FTP so a Mac at work it is.
  19. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    A workstation has higher end hardware then you guys think.

Some of these company's might throw in some really high quality binned ram chips ecc certified.
    and the dual socket computers that are compatible with all this ram are taking high binned and expensive xeon chips.

Now many of you guys dont have allot of a experience with servers and stuff- but a workstation is literally just about a PC sized server.

Server hardware like shit from super micro and other big name server companys are maid to run 7 years or even longer- without shutting it off.

Were talking enterprise drivers with scsi and other shit in it running 15,000k and maid to last 5 years or longer without ever pushing the power button. You have to realize, thats a amazing feat for computer hardware. Some of these regular mainstream pc companys like asus and corsair that offer 3-5 year warrants are putting in the aspect of ussage hours and some people do turn the PC off every day.

Server hardware is way more expensive- everything needs to be at its prime, and allot of big companys in the U.S. of all things rely on there servers to never go down.

They dont want to spend money on failing hard-drives and loosing all there data

They dont want there server to break down one day because of a failing motherboard.

Server hardware is high quality shit even though it doesn't look like it.

On a side note to my rambling: that mac desktop isnt even using workstation graphics.

makes it low in the raiting compared to the dell with dual xeons and fx5000 2gb graphics from nvidia.

at about the same price- and dell SERVER support is good shit.
    IINexusII, GSG-9, mstenholm and 3 others say thanks.
  20. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Macs are made of some special materialz? Apple boxes just work...hmmm what about the whole Nvidia fiasco w/ gpus? An Apple has just as much chance to go belly up as any other computer
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
  22. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:

only guy in here who actually said something good in this thread,
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    King Wookie and Kantastic say thanks.
  23. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Back to OP - yes if you need same day replacement/repair. Otherwise no. I'm bit surprised that it doesn't come with FX GPU.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Christ, this is TPU, I didn't think I had to spell out wtf a workstation is. Though, again, the high price is more about the market segment than the actual hardware and it's individual cost.

Good point though, again, the Dell that had only pro GPU options was a couple grand more.
  25. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    He is the only guy who said anything in that post.