1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newtekie1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This is the Apple reality distortion field at its best. What tossers. :nutkick:

And what suckers for buying into it. :laugh:

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    People are suckers for buying quality hardware? I'm no fan of apple meself, but the things they make are of high quality, and if people want to pay a premium for that (and the looks if you like that sort of thing) just let them.

This is a bit too much though.

3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    They've been doing it for years. I have an iBook G3 Clamshell that has a 3GB hard drive that I obviously want to upgrade. Now, the HDD is located in the same compartment as the RAM and AirPort card (which is easily accessed by unclipping the keyboard and using a small Phillips head screwdriver), however you can only actually get at the hard drive if you disassemble the entire laptop (how asinine is THAT?) which requires a Torx 8 screwdriver and the smallest I have is 10... Annoyed.

4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    This topic is a non-starter. Apple certainly isn't the only company that attempts to keep you from accessing and/or swapping hardware that they don't want you messing with. Torx and others have been around for years and are used by an infinite number of companies as is the "your warranty is void if this sticker is broken" concept. This is just an Apple hate troll. Apple makes nice toys that a lot of people are willing to pay good money for. You don't have to bash them or make them into an evil empire because they choose to run their business in a certain way or because you think their products are overpriced.

5. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Not uncommon, at least not back in the days.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Herro - someone call for anglegrinder? [​IMG]

If they try to stop you upgrading - theres another way to get inside - it will void your warranty and fill your room with the smell of burnt/burning plastic. you will need gaffer tape to patch up that hole underneath your Macbook but hell you can doodle on it and turn it into the next must have fashion accessory!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    psyko12 and qubit say thanks.
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. :roll:

8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    And that would be Foxconn.

9. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    Apple is made for two sorts of people. The one who comes in the store and says what is the best(priciest) you have, and doesn't care about the price, and the ones who will sell house and everything they have to imitate the first sort. The live on brand and advertising of being special counting on people ignorance of hardware and affinity towards shiny, expensive looking things...

10. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
  11. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Not really. Apple's products are top notch. They are high quality. For the things you actually get (size, weight, battery life and looks are all feutures) the prices are spot on. I usually don't agree with them and I don't care much for how they do software, but hardwarewise it's usually spot on (this might not be true with Mac Pro's though).

12. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    It is similar to people who bye i7 975 istead i7 950... yes 975 is a bit faster but it cost 4 times more... You are paying for bragging rights or ignorance about hardware. Vanity is devil's favorite sin :)

13. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    well considering the link already has a solution to get the screws off and replace them it would seem the move is pointless anyways.

just another waste of time and money for apple that can be easily gotten around.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    There is one simple solution. Don't buy Apple stuff. As simple as that.

Chevalr1c, qubit, [Ion] and 1 other person say thanks.
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I don't agree. You can always clock the 950 to match 975 speeds, but you can't clock a Blackberry phone to match iPhone's battery life.

16. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    I got banned on gizmodo for commenting in this,
    I said "Idouches will continue to buy their sh%t, whatever what they do"
    Don't ban me bro

17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Then you trolled and pretty much deserved it. It's not like you didn't see it coming anyway. :laugh:

18. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    :mad: to you then LOL

No, not really, imho, but whatever, i have a new account to keep safely trolling

19. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    I have heard that Apple uses about twice as much sensors to controll temperature, than PC's, and overall build quality is very good, but I just don't like what they do with preventing users to upgrade. And people usually think that mac pro are so much faster than PC's. It is pointless to tell them that for the same money they can buy even better PC. If they want superb quality and multi processor - buy server parts!

20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    There is a difference. Torx is a standard, not a propriatary screw head like what apple is using, and 90% of the other computer companies out there use standard phillips anyway, and the others use standardized torx.

And the warranty sticker still allows the user to access components if they want to, say if they want to upgrade after the warranty is over. If it is just a warranty thing, can I take my laptop in once the warranty is up and have Apple remove these propriatary screws so I can change out my SSD or Battery if I decide? No. See, there is a big difference here.

Not really, usually the only thing that makes them "top notch" is a pretty casing. Once you get inside they are the same crap you find in every other brand. I was speccing out an Apple for a web developer friend, the base model Macbook Pro 15" actually. Spec wise it had a 2.4GHz Core i5, 4GB of RAM, and 320GB Hard Drive, and of course that pretty white shell, and it was $1800! I bought almost the identically specced notebook of newegg, an HP, for $490... And the HP is actually incredibly well build and solid. Now there are some exception, the Macbook Air is one of those niche products that really has no competition and probably deserves a little price premium because it is unique.

Now the Iphone is something else. I just got rid of my Iphone4(and ATT) in favor of the DroidX(with Verizon) and I'm amazed with the DroidX. The Iphone4 wasn't any better than the DroidX, if anything I like the DroidX better because it has far more free useful apps than the Iphone. Plus it has HDMI out right on the phone so I can connect it to my TV and watch videos I have stored on it right on the TV(great for travelling with hotel TVs). Battery life isn't as good as the Iphone, but it still lasts over a day, so it doesn't bother me one bit. Oh, and then there was the fact that the 16GB model was $50 less than the Iphone5, and for $50 I could upgrade the DroidX myself to 32GB...

I think the whole "Apple is higher quailty" idea is just BS, after using their products for years, that people tell themselves to justify paying higher prices for the same product.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  21. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I can give you the Macbooks, they are kinda overpriced, but I bet you didn't get the same battery life from the HP. Also I can bet that the Mac was lighter and had a better monitor.

And that you prefer the DroidX over iPhone is no indication that it's any better than it. HDMI is pretty awesome, but more useful apps? Doesn't matter imo, not when talking hardware. The memory thing is boring.

I'm not saying I actually like Apple, I would never buy anything from them, but I think they deserve some credit. They get bashed all the time on this forum, often unfairly.

22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Battery life, surprisingly isn't that far off. In real world use the Macbook Pro 15" gets just under 3 hours. The HP is getting just over 2 hours, there is about a 45 Minute difference. But for the $1300, go buy a second battery for the HP and be happy.:roll:

Weight wise the HP is actually 0.1# lighter than the Macboo Pro. Though we couldn't tell the difference.

I will give it to you that the Macbook has a slightly higher resolution@ 1440x900 vs. the HPs 1366x768. But again, we are talking a $1300 price difference. I just don't see that being reasonable.

We had both laptops sitting side by side, and we just couldn't figure out why the Macbook Pro was $1300 more. Yes it had a gimmicky all aluminum case, but the HP had metal(not sure what type) on the LCD lid and palm rest, only the bottom was plastic, which IMO is more than sturdy enough.

And the memory issue on the Iphone4 is far from boring, if hardware is your concern. You are just dismissing it because it is a huge flaw. When I could get a 32GB DroidX for the price of the 16GB Iphone4, that is a huge thing. Other than that, there isn't much else between the two hardware wise. The DroidX has a bigger screen, but the Ipone4's display is higher resolution. The DroidX also has an FM Tuner, and Flash support. All this isn't me saying the Iphone4 is bad though, it is a great phone.

I'm not saying this to bash them, I'm just saying it. If they don't like, then they can lower their prices to be more inline with what they sell and not overprice their products. The products are actually good, just overpriced. But this using propriatary screws to prevent users from accessing hardware they own is total BS.

[Ion] and Frick say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  23. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL ! Keeping all you tweekers out of there shit ? Keeping you from Upgrading with out there consent ? LOL ! Why any one would buy up all that Apple crap is beyond me . I have never bought any thing Apple ever nor Mac ! LOL keep up the great innovations Steve ! You have changed the WORLD with all that i crap !

24. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    If you buy something Mac, you've bought something Apple. No need to include it.

25. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Apple wastes money on these "security torx screws" (not real one) which increase the product's price, and these protection don't benefit consumers at all.