1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newtekie1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    UM yeah I know this . I was covering all bases . I hate Apple it really is crap IMHO .

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    when the consumers of apple products give a crap about price or what the benefits are of having an iMac are other then just because they look cool in white, then i'l let you know.

IMO you could have an iMac with a dual beverage cooler built in and people would still jump through hoops of fire to buy it reguardless of the price.

3. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    everyone knows the best way to open a mac is by smashing it.

Sadly im using a mac right now and let me tell you it has froze up 3+ in the last 4 hours!! these do truly suck, and sooooo slow it lags if i have web with video, itunes, and word up:shadedshu

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I meant boring as in "bad". :)

I am kinda suprised at the HP thing though. I would imagine the image quality of the Mac he had would be better than the Mac. But thanks for enlightening me. :)

5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    But wasn't it Steve Jobs that invented the PC ? WOW ! Did any one hear how they talked about him on FOX and CNN ? They made it sound as if he was a god of the times . With all the ipad this and ipod that Jesus hit me with a whiffle ball bat !

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I bet people worship him.

7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    The "PC" as we refer to it these days, descends from the IBM Model 5150 (or IBM PC). Apple products are "personal computers" but NOT "PCs", kinda confusing I know...

8. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I smell thread-lock, lol....

9. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whether you like Steve or Apple and their iProduct catalogue or not, the guy deserves a lot more respect than the kind of attention a popstar / moviestar / footballer gets.

He has really transformed the consumer space. Hat's off to him, job (lol) well done.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Only thing that i like about Apple is iPhone 4 glass sandwich. The phone is a bit more fragile when doing a close encounter with concrete or asphalt, but the glass is something you don't see too often (at all) on such devices. I'd love to have my Samsung Wave with a glass surface on both sides. Gorilla Glass preferably...

11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and how many non-techy people do you know who actually have the skills to swap out their own RAM much less a hard disk? Of all the consumer-freedom-thwarting crap that companies pull in the name of their own protection this is hardly even close to the most egregious. You anti-fanboys just hate Apple. Same poop, different scoop.

Anti-fanboys are even worse cause it's just unwarranted and unfair hive-mind negativity.

12. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I love laughing at smug mac owners :) then the smile fades from their face after you drop the bomb;

but can it play crysis? (half as well as my rig which is half the cost)

if you buy apple gear you deserve for them to put these screws in.

qubit says thanks.
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Who the hell do you know who even knows what Crysis and then buys a Mac?

Ridiculous. Apples to oranges man, no pun intended.

14. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    mac mac

15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup the general feeling at TPU is quite anti Mac because of their nasty control freakery and ridiculous prices - and it's one of the things I love about this place. :rockout:

Chevalr1c and wolf say thanks.
  16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TPU is quite anti apple (not officially, just large portions of the user base), because their products have so many damn flaws and drawbacks compared to other companies products.

oh yay, better battery life by a few minutes? well, try doing something that a real smart phone can do and see how its battery life goes. i can run two browsers with 5 tabs (windows, as it calls it) each, a torrent program, MP3 player, camera, VOIP/SIP phone and share my 3G internet over wifi... all at the same time. my phones from 2007.

sure, my battery life goes to about 8 hours when i do that... but changing to an apple phone that has three times the battery life doesnt mean squat when it loses all the FEATURES.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    ivicagmc, wolf and qubit say thanks.
  17. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes they do with comments such as , The world will never be the same with out him and no one can replace him ever !

18. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    what ?? are you being sarcastic ?

did you ever heard apple imac yellow screen problem ?? or recently iPhone4 antenagate ?

and iphone/iPad overheating problem?? hell they product was build by blood of worker thats work on foxcon factory

19. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    That's because we're part of the small consumer base that demands more from our hardware. 10 out of 10 people will tell you they're completely satisfied with their Apple products, otherwise the company would have long been out of business. I honestly see nothing wrong with Apple products, however, I do admit I have never purchased one myself.

Who are you and I (speaking to the general community base on this forum) to hate on Apple and it's users? If the customers are happy and the company is doing well, whatever!

I hate HP & Sony because of crap customer support/products I've purchased. How many Apple haters have ever used an Apple product and genuinely did not like it?

20. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    So Apple doesn't let you do something you should be able to do and it makes the news?

Big surprise.

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if we DONT make it news, then more and more people get sucked into buying apple products thinking they're awesome.

you might say its their own fault, but some of us dont like seeing friends and relatives get ripped off buying overpriced crap - so we make sure the word gets spread about this stuff.

Chevalr1c, ivicagmc, wolf and 2 others say thanks.
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    In my case, i have a lot of experience dealing with apple customers. almost all of them have used apple exclusively, or compare expensive apple products to other products at 1/3 the price or less.

EG, $500 dell vs $3000 mac.

these same people often come to me for help fixing their apple problems (lately, macbooks and ipods - no iphone users so far) and i always do ask them: why did you choose apple, do you think it was worth it?

they then either list marketing spiel or a list of 'features' they've been told are apple exclusive. "oh i can download music" "it plays music AND movies" or "its faster than a PC"

quite often i let them use my stuff (which is high end, but actually similar cost to the apple products a lot of the time) and maybe 2 out of 3 end up converting away from apple.

my dislike of apple products is not bias - its experience.

For a good example with this screw bullshit: if your laptops out of warranty and the hard drive dies, what do mac users do? they have to buy a new laptop. PC users can (usually) replace the hard drive with just one or two screws, saving a ton of money in the process.

qubit says thanks.
  23. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think not all apple product was bad, there are actually some good product from them like apple cinema display (although i don't like the recent model, because of glossy screen)

but anything else is meh, apple is just like sonny

24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Then why aren't you bitching at Nintendo for doing this to their consoles?

25. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Or take it to an Apple store, because "they are the only ones that can work on Apples", and pay $600 for a replacement hard drive plus labor, but it is better than the alternative of buying brand new equivalant Apple product.:laugh:

Because there hasn't been anything worth openning a Nintendo console for in generations. It isn't like there are basic common upgrades that the average user would want to and could do with a nintendo console that they are blocking like Apple is doing.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD