1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newtekie1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, I must say that I agree with the bit in bold, if nothing else. :) It's certainly given Microsoft a headache and helped keep them in check.

No, I don't want you to infract me. But I do feel the way you're talking to me is a bit off and I figured you might be itching to do it. I'm glad to be wrong. :toast:

Look, you see it your way and I see it mine and I'm quite happy to differ. I still haven't really had a proper answer to my question, but what the hell, it's not that important in the end; we're only having a chat, lol.

Perhaps if you look over our discussion, you'll see that I was being quite genuine with you, asking a straight question and wanted to see how you saw it as better, with solid examples of why this should be so.

Finally, I've thanked you, as a gesture of goodwill; I certainly don't like a fight with anyone, mods or not. It's water under the bridge for me now.

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    ok, fine. i dont care if people dont like apple products. everyone has their opinion. but what i dont like is when people act like the only reason people buy apple products is because they are brainwashed. that is so far off base that these days that argument is considered trolling. furthermore, gadgets that YOU find useful today exist because of the work of companies like apple that push the limits of technology. they are creative geniuses which means their work may not always be the most useful. that does not discredit the work they are doing however and only small minded individuals would honestly fail to see it.

3. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, if you guys don't own a macbook, why complain about it? It's like me complaining about BMW expensive repair bills when I drive a Infiniti G.

4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Would you criticize a 10$ 700W PSU? why would you? you don't own one AFAIK

Sure there are some who are blindly bashing apple, but there are the ones who actually have apple products all around them, and in their house, and with best friends and family.

I don't think anybody is COMPLETELY discrediting apple. Ipad was an awesome idea, and without it, I doubt companies would be trying to do tablets. Iphone has some damn nice stuff about it, the sleek design of apple has caused envy, and alot of companies have refined the look of their laptops etc to make them look better. All this doesn't change the fact the Ipad could have been better. By how much? that's debatable. Doesn't change the fact that there are alot of apple fanboys who buy apple products when another product at a lot less $ would have suited his needs better.

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No, but I already did, and so did a few others.

Yes, you can use keyboards and stands on ipad. Just goes to show you are spouting off about something you don't really know anything about. Seriously, your position every bit as bad as blindly devoted Apple fanboy.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    guys dont mess with Wile E about apple. this thread will explode

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I think it all comes down to how you weight the advantages an disadvantages in the end. Some people weigh the advantages more heavily than the latter, and some the other way round.

Apple products certainly fit a niche and i'm glad they do well as they introduce extra competition into the market.

I personally dislike Macs because i know i can do the same and more with a PC.
    I like the I-phone, but i'd never buy one (or any smart phone) as i use a phone to..well...phone, nothing more. I also would not find an I-Pad usefull as i have a laptop and if i wanted a reader, i would buy a reader.

I'm sure you can see that there is a lot of hype surrounding apple as they have done so well recently (their share-price depends on speculation on SJ's health, lol) and that sort of thing has momentum. With the PC market there is a lot less hype as we have many different manufactures doing the same thing..... Well apple do the same thing, just in a unique way, which makes them stand out.

TLDR; Apple products are suitable for some people but are over-hyped imo (leading to some people to believe they need an apple product, when another product would be just as suitable)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Re the bold bit: yes I know. I was saying to use the iPad in its native out of the box configuration when comparing and I was quite clear about that.

And I was asking Easy, not anyone else for an answer. I wanted his opinion.

I'm not spouting or blindly devoted about anything. Thanks.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Both Wile E and Easy know that I have some pretty good anti-Apple arguments and I could keep this thread going for a VERY long time. HOWEVER WHY? I mean this Apple bashing has been going on for over 30 years! Most of the hate came out of the clone days. Its enough already. If you don't like Apple (which I now hate) don't buy it. Thats what I do.

If you do like them great! Just don't act like you are above the curve like most Apple noobs think. (TPU community excluded from noob comment).

Ether way STFU!

10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'd be very interested in your anti Apple arguments. If you'd like to tell me about them in PM, I'd be delighted to hear them! :)

11. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I only got through the first two-and-a-half minutes, and that costed me more effort than installing Gentoo (as a manner of speaking).

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

M-M-M-Max Headroom.

British 1980's CGI using an Apple 2 :roll: and an actor in prosthetics

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Nothing brings out the misinformed, hive mind ignorance of this community more than an Apple thread. What is this [H]? I have stayed out for the most part since the beginning as I have enough infractions already,

Thanks Wile E and Mailman and Bonkers and the precious few other points of light and educated intelligence in this otherwise low-browed wasteland of a thread.

14. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    Sledge Hammer fixes all Apple products!!

qubit says thanks.
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, quite. Good thing then that I'm one of those precious few other points of light and educated intelligence who know what I'm talking about and bring the voice of reason to such a thread. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  16. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    what the fuck does iPad have to do with the topic again?

If anyone still cares, ifixit reports:

mid-2009 macbook pros use this special screw to fasten the batteries, note that batteries are internal and are only accessible after taking off the the entire back.(mid-2010 macbook pros use tri-wing instead of this five-point screw)

some iphone 4 and maybe newer iphone 4 use this screw to secure the back panel. removing the back panel exposes batteries, circuit boards and whatnot.

the new macbook airs use this type of screws to fasten the entire back panel. RAM is soldered on MBA, SSD is replaceable but is in a special form factor, batteries are also replaceable but it seems no one is offering parts ATM.

you can buy the special screw drivers from ifixit.

you can use or modify a slot head screw driver in emergency, but it's likely to ruin the screw head.